What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 officiating is enough to make me want to puke

USC got called for 13 penalties for 123 yards, plenty enough for a team to capitalize off of.

^ **** they call and **** they don't. Took em ten ****ing seconds to call Evans in for the TD. Wtf is Chev doing he lost us the game

Every time we got positive yardage in the first 3.5 quarters we got pushed back due to a penalty
Because we were committing penalties. USC had like a dozen called on them, too. Just sloppy all around. Every replay pretty much showed a jersey being pulled.

reffing in this game is about the 20th most important thing to comment on, if that.

My only problem with them is that I don’t get how it’s so obvious what a targeting penalty looks like, yet we still have so much confusion from officials on it.

All of the USC idiots kept saying it should be targeting on Shenault lol. I’m 100% for helping defenders out and keeping them safe but this is a textbook launch and both players got their bell rung because of it. AND it looked even worse in live action which is usually the biggest qualifier for rather or not it gets flagged. Just baffling to me. Of course it’s not the reason we lost tho.

The rules state nothing about bracing for a hit. If that were the case, a LOT of targeting calls would be overturned.

This was a lure helmet to helmet target that was a complete no call.

Baffling.

This would’ve been a much better thread if it were a general discussion about targeting penalties, the inconsistent application, and whether the penalty is too severe. It is not a Pac 12 issue, not even a sole college FB issue.

Personally, I would refine the rule to be similar to running into the kicker versus roughing the kicker.

New penalty would be:
1. Helmet to helmet tackle - 15 yards, automatic first down
2. Helmet to helmet with targeting, as above with ejection as currently imposed

Latter penalty would be clear head hunting. Yes, there would still be interpretation involved, but it would better.

"Shenault should have led with his arms instead of his helmet; that's why it should be targeting on the offense."

-Bull**** Trojan reasoning.

"Shenault should have led with his arms instead of his helmet; that's why it should be targeting on the offense."

-Bull**** Trojan reasoning.

Haha. Hard to do when you’re carrying a football. Was he supposed to balance the ball on his nose like a seal?

No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul.

Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:

• Launch—a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet
Note 2: Defenseless player (Rule 2-27-14):
  • A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.
  • A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
  • A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball, or during the kick or the return.
  • A kick returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
  • A player on the ground.
  • A player obviously out of the play.
  • A player who receives a blind-side block.
  • A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped.
  • A quarterback any time after a change of possession.
  • A ball carrier who has obviously given himself up and is sliding feet-first
I dont see how you can call targeting on an offensive player that is defending himself. Both players lowered their helmets.

Back