What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 TV Deal with FOX+ESPN, worth $250m per year according to NYT

Yea, we should have gone MW conference. Shows how riduculous our local media really are. The athletic department just went from playing with boys to jumping into the major leagues. Great news and a great move for our beloved Buffalos!

Yep. The $2.5 million first year share was for 2011 to account for our percentage of the Pac-12 championship game rights, which were outside the existing Pac-10 media deal.

And does that reduced first year take care of paying off the Mack 10? I've kind of forgotten where we ended up on the settlement to get out of the trailer park...

anchorman.gif

Someone needs to chop the faces on those cats..the guy with the hat needs to be larry scott.

You think Larry Scott gets hammered, wakes up the next morning and, I kid you not, ****s a squirrel? I'd say Larry has to be Ron Burgandy. He's kind of a big deal. People know him. He has volumes of leather bound books, and his office smells of a rich mahogany.

You think Larry Scott gets hammered, wakes up the next morning and, I kid you not, ****s a squirrel? I'd say Larry has to be Ron Burgandy. He's kind of a big deal. People know him. He has volumes of leather bound books, and his office smells of a rich mahogany.

Well I agree..but I just think Scott should have a cowboy hat lol

And does that reduced first year take care of paying off the Mack 10? I've kind of forgotten where we ended up on the settlement to get out of the trailer park...

I think I've got this right. Someone please correct where I'm wrong.

We don't have a payoff. We have a dramatically reduced payout from 2010. Therefore, we have a budget shortfall. In 2011, we're not under any conference's general media agreement. So the $2.5 million was our share of the money that Scott was able to negotiate for rights to the Pac-12 championship game. Between that $2.5MM, the additional ~$2MM from adding the Ohio State game, other broadcasts of CU games, road game payouts for our Pac-12 schedule, and new corporate sponsorships... we're trying to make up a budget shortfall for the 2011-12 academic year. If we need money to make up the gap, the 2 likely sources would be either a loan from the Pac-12 or from the CU Fund.

I think I've got this right. Someone please correct where I'm wrong.

We don't have a payoff. We have a dramatically reduced payout from 2010. Therefore, we have a budget shortfall. In 2011, we're not under any conference's general media agreement. So the $2.5 million was our share of the money that Scott was able to negotiate for rights to the Pac-12 championship game. Between that $2.5MM, the additional ~$2MM from adding the Ohio State game, other broadcasts of CU games, road game payouts for our Pac-12 schedule, and new corporate sponsorships... we're trying to make up a budget shortfall for the 2011-12 academic year. If we need money to make up the gap, the 2 likely sources would be either a loan from the Pac-12 or from the CU Fund.
Interesting income source I hadn't thought about. We getting paid for any of these trips?

Interesting income source I hadn't thought about. We getting paid for any of these trips?

You get a payout for conference games. You get a payout for non-conference games. I'd assume that we fall under the conference structure for this portion. But it would be interesting to see how they handle the percentage. Treat us like a non-conference opponent?

Not sure if this has been said yet, but assuming the NYT scenario, the pac-12 network should pay us far more than 1,000,000 a year; which means.....

We are taking home more from the PAc-12 than OU is from the Mack10

Not sure if this has been said yet, but assuming the NYT scenario, the pac-12 network should pay us far more than 1,000,000 a year; which means.....

We are taking home more from the PAc-12 than OU is from the Mack10

As I posted earlier: Big 10 schools got $6.1 and $6.4 million each, respectively, the first two years of the Big 10 Network.

That network is owned 49% by Fox. Scott is looking at retaining 100% ownership instead of just 51%. He's also looking at getting it carried internationally, with a focus on Asia-Pacific. This could get ridiculously huge.

Wow this is so awesome, I hope this means we can have a baseball team!

Probably will take us 2 years to recover the shortfall/exit withholding, but after that I can't imagine what they'll do with the extra cash....

we do get $5,000,000 or so in support from teh school in the way of student fees, I wonder if they'll kill that?

As I posted earlier: Big 10 schools got $6.1 and $6.4 million each, respectively, the first two years of the Big 10 Network.

That network is owned 49% by Fox. Scott is looking at retaining 100% ownership instead of just 51%.

I wanted to be conservative, even if we take Big-10 like numbers which means we could take more than Texas.....

Just proves how ****ed that whole mess is, OU and aTm should have gone to the SEC.

That network is owned 49% by Fox. Scott is looking at retaining 100% ownership instead of just 51%. He's also looking at getting it carried internationally, with a focus on Asia-Pacific. This could get ridiculously huge.

The fact the Pac 12 retains 100% ownership has a risk also as the Pac 12 will have to do everything themselves. Start up costs etc.

The fact the Pac 12 retains 100% ownership has a risk also as the Pac 12 will have to do everything themselves. Start up costs etc.

This...it also means that it might be much tougher to get the network added to the content providers offerings and negotiate reasonable carriage fees. The cable Cosa Nostra usually demands an ownership percentage for specialty channels like this, they're going to want their taste. I also wouldn't count on it getting onto Dish anytime soon...DirectTV will probably take it because they seemed to have positioned themselves as the sports specialty option.

we do get $5,000,000 or so in support from teh school in the way of student fees, I wonder if they'll kill that?

With the school's funding problems, I think this all but guarantees that the AD is on its own when it comes to money.

You mean this guy (mkiszla@denverpost.com ) who wrote this article (http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_15236809)? Feel free to follow up my scathing email with one of your own.

Kisla's reply:

Thanks for writing.
I congratulated Mike Bohn and CU on the radio this morning, during my 5-day-per-week radio show on FM 93.7 and AM 1510.
Miss a day, you miss a lot.
For one, you assume, I dislike CU.
Which would be a mistake.
One perhaps you should admit.
All the best,
Mark KIszla

(BuffNut stares into the abyss wondering how he could have been so wrong about where Kisla's heart has been all these years :lol:)

The way to piss Jiszla off is to ignore him. Don't email him. Don't write him. Don't click on his articles. That all feeds his ego.

Just ignore the ****er.

The current reports from multiple sources look like 250mil per year, 20.8mil per school per year, with more potentially from the Pac 12 network. Scott knocked this one out of the park.

The latest from Wilmer
"One thing we haven't heard is the arrangement of Pac-12 mobile rights. Could Apple be developing a Pac-12 app? U know something's cooking."

Miss a day, you miss a lot.
For one, you assume, I dislike CU.
Which would be a mistake.
One perhaps you should admit.
All the best,

Is this supposed to be some kind of haiku or something??? :wow:

Anybody who would state with a straight face that CU should have gone to the MWC instead of the Pac clearly has an axe to grind with CU. Stating otherwise ignores the facts of the situation. There's literally nothing that the MWC offers that is superior in any way to what the Pac offers, yet there was Kizla, making the argument. He can eat a bag of dicks.

Back