What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 TV Deal with FOX+ESPN, worth $250m per year according to NYT

ESPN, which is majority owned by Walt Disney Co., and News Corp.'s Fox will split the cost of the rights fee. Both will get about 22 football games. ESPN will get the majority of the basketball games.
Fox will not only carry games on its cable channel FX, it will also put Saturday afternoon regular season college games on its broadcast network as well.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ent...espn-sign-tv-deal-for-pac-12-conference-.html

ESPN will get majority of basketball games.

Oh yeah, and this is just the TV rights deals. Throw in basketball tournament revenues, bowl game distributions, and other revenue sources and the total payout from the Pac-12 is going to be 2 to 3 times what it was in the Big 12.

The Pac12 maintaining 100% equity in the network might raise the start-up costs, but I think it could actually HELP get national distribution quicker.

The Big Ten's 51/49 split with Fox meant they got a jump-start on DirecTV (formerly a part of the same media group that owns Fox), but that relationship made it a battle to get onto Comcast, DishNetwork, etc etc.

By NOT having one distribution partner's competitors involved in the ownership, we can have open dialogue with all of the distribution channels without making it a "battleground".
Unfortunately, I don't think this will be the case. The cable companies will be perfectly fine with adding the Pac-12 Network to their channel lineup...any additional sports content they can add is a bonus in their minds. The problem will be getting on the basic cable tier rather than on a sports tier. That doesn't happen easily unless you have enough leverage to force the cable companies to add a channel to their basic tier or else lose several channels that are important to them. For example, if Disney decides they want to launch a new channel that shows nothing but security camera footage from EPCOT and they want to get the most money they possibly can for it, they tell the cable companies that they are going to pull ESPN from them if they don't add the EPCOT security channel to the basic tier. When they are on the basic tier, they get paid for every cable subscriber. If the NFL Network couldn't get on the basic tier with either Comcast or Time Warner, I have a hard time believing that the Pac-12 Network will be able to do it...even with the magical Larry Scott behind the scenes.

Unfortunately, I don't think this will be the case. The cable companies will be perfectly fine with adding the Pac-12 Network to their channel lineup...any additional sports content they can add is a bonus in their minds. The problem will be getting on the basic cable tier rather than on a sports tier. That doesn't happen easily unless you have enough leverage to force the cable companies to add a channel to their basic tier or else lose several channels that are important to them. For example, if Disney decides they want to launch a new channel that shows nothing but security camera footage from EPCOT and they want to get the most money they possibly can for it, they tell the cable companies that they are going to pull ESPN from them if they don't add the EPCOT security channel to the basic tier. When they are on the basic tier, they get paid for every cable subscriber. If the NFL Network couldn't get on the basic tier with either Comcast or Time Warner, I have a hard time believing that the Pac-12 Network will be able to do it...even with the magical Larry Scott behind the scenes.

The Big 10 Network isn't on the basic tier is it? I know it's not for DirecTV. While Scott will obviously try to get the 12Pac on the basic tier, it can still make pretty good money even if it's on a sports package. You probably know better than most, but I would bet the sports package is the closest to "universal" of any special package the providers offer.

rward (stat geek supreme on the Rivals board) went through the public IRS records of Pac-10 members to come up with this info:

They made $25 million from Bowls, $56 million from TV, $13 million from the NCAA and $1 million from other. So if you replace $56 million with $250 million that is: $289 million or $24.08 Million per school. Of course the Bowl is dependant on how many teams make the BCS and the increase of overall bowl money. The NCAA is dependant on how many teams make the tourney and how many games they win.

So, we're looking at around $24 million per year from the conference before the Pac-12 Network even gets off the ground. Versus what we were getting from the Big 12, this is enough money to buy a Basketball/Volleyball Practice Facility type project every year... and still have an extra $5 million to play with.

rward (stat geek supreme on the Rivals board) went through the public IRS records of Pac-10 members to come up with this info:

They made $25 million from Bowls, $56 million from TV, $13 million from the NCAA and $1 million from other. So if you replace $56 million with $250 million that is: $289 million or $24.08 Million per school. Of course the Bowl is dependant on how many teams make the BCS and the increase of overall bowl money. The NCAA is dependant on how many teams make the tourney and how many games they win.

So, we're looking at around $24 million per year from the conference before the Pac-12 Network even gets off the ground. Versus what we were getting from the Big 12, this is enough money to buy a Basketball/Volleyball Practice Facility type project every year... and still have an extra $5 million to play with.

we're so rich i think i need a monocle...

bender_monocle.jpg

we're so rich i think i need a monocle...

bender_monocle.jpg

No, no, no, you guys have it all wrong. I listened to jizla on the radio this morning and all this allows us to do now is pay our bills. It's not a windfall because the AD is in so much debt they are lucky to have this money to stay afloat. An extra $13-15 million a year is not going to help CU improve because Oregon already has more money. There are no positives to take away from this deal. FACT.

No, no, no, you guys have it all wrong. I listened to jizla on the radio this morning and all this allows us to do now is pay our bills. It's not a windfall because the AD is in so much debt they are lucky to have this money to stay afloat. An extra $13-15 million a year is not going to help CU improve because Oregon already has more money. There are no positives to take away from this deal. FACT.

Soooo close to neg repping you for listening to that assmonkey's show.

Soooo close to neg repping you for listening to that assmonkey's show.

I never do but they were talking about the deal as I flipped through stations. I know it's a violation of the AllBuffs TOS. It will never happen again.

every football and men´s basketball as well as most women´s basketball games will be broadcast on one of the platforms

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...ll-and-basketball-details-on-the-new-tv-deal/

Here are some details from the Pac-12 press conference and teleconference on the new TV deal.

Check back periodically — I’ll have updates over the next 90 minutes or two hours (and over the next few days, for that matter).

The big news up front:

1. Commissioner Larry Scott says that under the new deal with Fox and ESPN, every football and men’s basketball game will be televised, along with most women’s basketball games.

2.Scott also said the $21 million annual revenue for each school will allow schools to reinstate sports that have been cut. (The impact of the new deal on women’s and Olympic sports cannot be overstated.)

3. There WILL BE a Pac-12 Network, in case there was any lingering doubt.

Full national network games on ABC, football across all ESPN platforms, games also on Fox Broadcast Network, and football on FX.

east coast prime time games on fox

Back