What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

****Pac-12 Will NOT expand*** per espn and wilner

Longhorns "sharing out third tier rights is non-negotiable".

Dodds: "We are who we are. People say what they say. The outcome is the outcome. We're proud of ourselves."

Best thing that can happen now is that B12 picks up 3 more schools so they can stay together. Hopefully this ends the dominoes falling and puts some stability back into college football, not to mention keeps some tradition and regional rivalries strong. In a perfect world, they pick up TCU, Houston and SMU which keep the conference respectable and regional. That should also give birth to some new rivalries that will hopefully give the conference some sticking power for the long term too.

One thing that might be breaking right for Texass and the Bevoettes is that TCU might be dropping right back in their laps before they ever play a Big East game. They're pretty clearly horrified at Pitt and Syracuse leaving and UConn and WVU, among others, selling themselves about as subtly as an East Colfax hooker at closing time. Have to think that if the wHorns could bring themselves to actually let TCU into "their" conference, the Horny Toads would come running....

I love how these folks are blaming CU for this.
Heck if anything I blame USC. If they could figure out how to convert a 4th and 1 with Reggie Bush and Lendale White in the backfield instead of running a Leinart sneak they get to run out the clock in the '06 BCS Champ. Then just maybe the Texas ego is taken down a notch and hopefully realize that their football program is a glorified VT that can win anything but the big game. Then hopefully no LHN to start this mess.

Longhorns "sharing out third tier rights is non-negotiable".

Dodds: "We are who we are. People say what they say. The outcome is the outcome. We're proud of ourselves."
lmao...the hubris continues. You know it wasn't that many years ago fUCLA was bending Bevo over 66-3...it will happen again, I hope soon.

Some rumors I'm hearing from TTU sources:

CU, ASU, UA, and Stan were the blocking schools

UT threatened legal action against TTU if they left without UT

ESPN threatened Larry Scott that they wouldn't renegotiate the TV contract if Pac didn't take UT

ESPN threatened Larry Scott that they wouldn't renegotiate the TV contract if Pac didn't take UT
****ing drama queens. love the ESPN threat. I bet LS laughed and told them to enjoy their 300 million sinkhole.

I think it's this type of thing that went a long way to poison any deal. The PAC and BIG are different than the other conferences. Taking 3 schools that aren't AAU members, have very different cultures & fanbases, and don't even respect west coast attitudes was a major issue.

Why are issues such as these as such a major issue? I don't see how having this big lovefest with other conference member fanbases is important, or even desirable for that matter. And the need to "respect west coast attitudes" could easily come off as sounding arrogant if that's how many of the Pac schools truly feel.

Why are issues such as these as such a major issue? I don't see how having this big lovefest with other conference member fanbases is important, or even desirable for that matter. And the need to "respect west coast attitudes" could easily come off as sounding arrogant if that's how many of the Pac schools truly feel.
And really, where was the "cultural fit" clique when az and asu joined? Are they a cultural fit now?

I think it's the whole point, actually. Conferences have a certain feel to them, and I'm somewhat enamored with the feel of the Pac-12. I feel that certain schools might change that feel. Face it, the Big 12 didn't feel like the Big 8--and aside from the part where we were winning a lot less--it seemed less fun.

Because the Pac-16 is not a merger.

I think it's the whole point, actually. Conferences have a certain feel to them, and I'm somewhat enamored with the feel of the Pac-12. I feel that certain schools might change that feel. Face it, the Big 12 didn't feel like the Big 8--and aside from the part where we were winning a lot less--it seemed less fun.

Agree, I think Rutgers might feel out of place in the SEC or Oregon in the Big East.

TTU was considered without UT? Why?

lmao...the hubris continues. You know it wasn't that many years ago fUCLA was bending Bevo over 66-3...it will happen again, I hope soon.

Point of clarification, fUCLA was bending bevo over 34-12 last year.

I love how these folks are blaming CU for this. No, it had nothing to do with you guys. Everybody wants OU and UT in their conference. That's why they had their pick of five different conferences to join, right?
Outside of the complaining that OU, UT, and OSU are doing, my guess is that the majority of the complaining from the PAC-12 side is coming from Oregon "fans". Mind you, these Oregon fans are the same ones who just packed away their Florida gear two years ago in order to hop on the Oregon bandwagon after they got distracted by high scoring games and pretty colors. These Oregon fans are the same ones who don't remember the name Rich Brooks, and are pretty sure that college football didn't exist prior to 2005. I'm seeing things out of them claiming that they want to play against better opponents, and that CU and Utah aren't helping on that front. You Oregon fans sure you want to start facing stiffer competition from that region? I'm pretty certain that you're 0-2 so far in calendar year 2011 against teams from that general region. Listen up U of O fans, there are precisely two universities in this conference who are in the top 20 in all time wins, and you ain't one of them. Hell, you have about 50 wins to catch up on to get to Utah. Let the grown ups continue to make the decisions around here, and you guys can keep rummaging through your closet looking for new color combinations to wear for your next game.

FOX, CBS and who knows how many other s are smiling at the prospect of ESPiN refusing to bid on Pac 12 FB, I bet.

Outside of the complaining that OU, UT, and OSU are doing, my guess is that the majority of the complaining from the PAC-12 side is coming from Oregon "fans". Mind you, these Oregon fans are the same ones who just packed away their Florida gear two years ago in order to hop on the Oregon bandwagon after they got distracted by high scoring games and pretty colors. These Oregon fans are the same ones who don't remember the name Rich Brooks, and are pretty sure that college football didn't exist prior to 2005. I'm seeing things out of them claiming that they want to play against better opponents, and that CU and Utah aren't helping on that front. You Oregon fans sure you want to start facing stiffer competition from that region? I'm pretty certain that you're 0-2 so far in calendar year 2011 against teams from that general region. Listen up U of O fans, there are precisely two universities in this conference who are in the top 20 in all time wins, and you ain't one of them. Hell, you have about 50 wins to catch up on to get to Utah. Let the grown ups continue to make the decisions around here, and you guys can keep rummaging through your closet looking for new color combinations to wear for your next game.
I give this rant....:perfect10:

FOX, CBS and who knows how many other s are smiling at the prospect of ESPiN refusing to bid on Pac 12 FB, I bet.

I find that very hard to believe, ESPN threatening Scott - c'mon. Sound like some delusional sand aggies.

I don't disagree - the TTU rumors come from a guy with connections to the the TTU organization - so obviously the info is going to be biased.

And really, where was the "cultural fit" clique when az and asu joined? Are they a cultural fit now?

The culture at UA and ASU is a LOT more like UCLA and USC than the culture at OU and UT. UA and ASU are popular choices for California kids that can't get into the UC system. And half of Arizonans fancy themselves as Californians anyway. I acknowledge that the other half of Arizonans fancy themselves as gunslinging border posse members, but most of those Arizonans didn't go to college and don't care about the Pac-12.

There's more to putting a conference together than shuffling the deck for the teams that would make the most money.

There's good reason why BYU isn't in the Pac-12 despite probably being a more valuable revenue partner than either CU or UU (considering the Pac-12 network wanting to reach worldwide).

And I don't see how it's arrogant. It's not a declaration that the culture of the conference is necessarily better. It's a declaration that the members like that culture, value it, and don't want to see it dramatically changed. From a revenue standpoint, it would probably make sense for the SEC to invite Notre Dame. From a cultural standpoint, it doesn't work. And that doesn't mean that they hate catholics or the midwest.

For the most part, what I'm saying with my post is that there has to be more common ground than "we'll make a lot of money". Conferences don't survive when they get big in ways that don't deliver a membership with the same priorities, principles and values (Big East, C-USA, MWC, WAC, Big 12). This has always been about more than money.

Edit: I should also add that this goes both ways. Fans from Oklahoma and Texas were also very concerned about travel distance and losing the culture they enjoyed within the Big 12 South.

The culture at UA and ASU is a LOT more like UCLA and USC than the culture at OU and UT. UA and ASU are popular choices for California kids that can't get into the UC system. And half of Arizonans fancy themselves as Californians anyway. I acknowledge that the other half of Arizonans fancy themselves as gunslinging border posse members, but most of those Arizonans didn't go to college and don't care about the Pac-12.

It may be now, but it wasn't that way when the PAC8 expanded. I lived in Phoenix for about 6 years during the 1980's, and culturally, then, it wasn't like the left coast.

Oh, and I lived in Cali before I moved to Phoenix the first time.

The Pac 12 WILL expand if UT agrees to equal revenue sharing.

The University of Texas WILL NEVER agree to equal revenue sharing and the demise of the LHN.

Thus the Pac 12 WILL NOT expand.

I agree with sentence one. When I first came to this board, I think some of you guys doubted the sincerity of the conference's motives regarding expansion. I think now everyone understands that "equality" isn't just a spiffy motto for this conference.

As far as the 2nd sentence, that's just the current status. However with the Pac no longer moving wholescale into the Texas recruit market and BigEast neutered (possibly even eliminated if TCU is added to the B12), Texass can go into defensive turtle mode for a number of years. But I wouldn't say it would "never" agree to equal revenue sharing. If P12 regional channel revenue exceeds LHN revenue, Texass will change its tune. I think that's Larry's long run plan in bringing Texass to heel.

I agree with sentence one. When I first came to this board, I think some of you guys doubted the sincerity of the conference's motives regarding expansion. I think now everyone understands that "equality" isn't just a spiffy motto for this conference.

As far as the 2nd sentence, that's just the current status. However with the Pac no longer moving wholescale into the Texas recruit market and BigEast neutered (possibly even eliminated if TCU is added to the B12), Texass can go into defensive turtle mode for a number of years. But I wouldn't say it would "never" agree to equal revenue sharing. If P12 regional channel revenue exceeds LHN revenue, Texass will change its tune. I think that's Larry's long run plan in bringing Texass to heel.
This should be very interesting to watch. P12 already has WAY more distributoin than the LHN, and it is a year away from launching.

It may be now, but it wasn't that way when the PAC8 expanded. I lived in Phoenix for about 6 years during the 1980's, and culturally, then, it wasn't like the left coast.

Oh, and I lived in Cali before I moved to Phoenix the first time.

I remember Phoenix in the 80s. You still had people riding their horses into Scottsdale from the surrounding ranches. The boon there has been amazing. But you also were seeing the beginnings of a major shift with a lot of Californians starting to migrate there. Less so with Tucson.

As an aside, I don't think most people realize what Lute Olson accomplished at UA since they don't have the context of what Tucson was as a city when he showed up.

This should be very interesting to watch. P12 already has WAY more distributoin than the LHN, and it is a year away from launching.

That was the very basic question at the heart of this. Do you team up with cable providers/Dish/DTV to take care of distribution first and care about programming later or do you team up with a TV channel like Fox or ESPN and care about the distribution later? The Pac chose Option 1, UT and the B1G chose option 2.

Back