What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

PacHoops: Arizona looms, first little brother

allbuffs

Administrator
By Adam Butler
www.PacHoops.com

As I set in to write an article this week – knowing full well that I had missed a week and that I would be in Boulder this weekend – I couldn’t stop thinking about Wednesday. Saturday’s game will be attended by ESPN and has been touted as sold out since forever. It was marked as marquee last Valentines Day and even well before then. I’m happy to call this thing we got going a rivalry.

And before the rivalry takes the stage, Arizona State will visit The Keg. This was the game last season that saw Josh Scott concuss and Evan Gordon in the stands. Those were moments to produce bad blood and plenty of heat. Spice. Tad made comments on such and, as an Arizona fan, I’m acutely aware of the general distaste the school from Tempe can generate.

Furthermore, Colorado is expected to win this game. Or at least by KenPom analytics. The teams have played almost even to date. The winner of this game will have earned their twentieth victory – I significant accomplishment in college basketball. The Buffs trail the Sun Devils by just a half game in the standings. This is a game featuring two evenly matched teams (arguably something you cannot say for Saturday’s game) with significant post-season and conference tournament implications on the line. Thus it would be easy to dismiss Saturday’s game. Or to certainly excuse it’s immediate importance and focus on ASU.

Now let me get his caveat out of the way: You focus on every game. Are you kidding me? To suggest otherwise is outlandish. But I’m in the story telling business and I’m here to tell you – or really probably to remind you – that the storylines are suggesting that Wednesday will have a greater effect on team goals than Saturday. After all, winning when you’re supposed to win (often defined in it’s simplest terms as “at home”) is imperative in the eyes of the ever important committee. ASU is a game Colorado should win. It’s even a game – dare I say… - Colorado needs to win.

It’s not the most important game of the weekend.

Not if Colorado basketball is going to be the program we’ve talked about since October. The type of program that’s bigger than a flash in the pan and that can sustain an injury. Even an injury to their best player. And believe you me, I’ve been following this thing as if Arizona’s trip to Boulder was definitively secondary. It wasn’t until recording my podcast (can’t link it just yet) and Jason noted this point. And it’s a great point. Colorado touts itself as more than a fun run through a few seasons. The magnitude of beating an Arizona far outweighs the importance of beating the Arizona State. The latter is expected. The former? The former is defining.

You could say, right now, “Adam, you’re just putting your favorite team on a pedestal.” First, you’re damn right. That’s the beacon of West Coast basketball and I challenge you to show me a hotter program right now. I’m right. Beating Arizona means something. Secondly, Xavier Johnson said they would. Spencer Dinwiddie said they would. And Tad Boyle won’t soon say it but it’s seeping through his dome’s pores.

I’m going to write about our big game on Saturday. It will be a letter to you all, not unlike last season’s. But because this was the article where I thought I’d be talking about Arizona State (*chuckles), it’s going to have to wait. I’m not saying that Colorado is, has, or should be overlooking Arizona State. I’m just saying, we needed a reminder that I don’t think Colorado is just trying to make NCAA tournaments or bolster their resume. They’re looking to build a program.

Fans like PacHoops make it difficult to hate the cats sometimes. As much as I want to. That red makes me want to punch walls and that blue makes me want to throw things. Luckily Coach Miller does most it for me. Luckily for both UofA and CU there is a team that we can hate and trust me, we do. We will give the pussycats the attention the deserve but first, **** asu.

Back