What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

PacHoops: Senior Notes, a celebration of Sabatino

allbuffs

Administrator
This week on his site Adam will be running a number of guest articles and features on the Senior leaders around the league as we wrap up their final regular season. For us that feature is on one man with glorious hair, Sabatino Chen.

By Adam Butler
www.PacHoops.com

Now is that time of year where the number of games is shrinking and the games are
growing in significance. We have to scroll pretty far down the schedule to get to the next
contest’s tip off. Which means the season is soon coming to an end, which means so too
are some careers. Some of our favorite and least favorite players will be moving on from
their collegiate experiences or from our team or on to the league.

But the thing about endings is we often look at them nostalgically. To that effect, we
love our seniors. Or at least I certainly do and if you read my blog, you’ll soon be privy
to glowing hyperbole and adoration for the now young men who entered their respective
programs green puppies.

In Boulder, the lone senior is Sabatino Chen.

And one note, I don’t know the ins and outs of CU basketball the way you guys do and
there has got to be a back story about a tireless manager or trainer that could melt our
hearts away and if you know of such a tale let me know. Let’s celebrate that young man’s
effort.

But from my perspective, it’s just Chen. I’ve seen him play a handful of times. He is not
a great basketball player. I mean no offense by this but strictly talent is not the asset Chen
brings to this team. He brings a whole lot more.

As an outsider, I watch Chen make the plays the team needs. I see tireless effort that I
don’t see in a box score. He’s a pest and as an opposing fan I’m drawn to hate him. As
a basketball enthusiast, the departing local embodies the romanticism of our favorite
sport. He’s not a Rudy, he’s better than forfeited jerseys, but he’s earned everything he’s
got. His two years in Boulder have been two of the program’s best, indicative of some
cornerstone-type character.

Because Sabatino Chen’s Buffalo moment didn’t come with that foiled bank shot. No,
I believe if that’s your lasting memory of Chen you’re missing what’s mattered most.
Chen’s moment came when no one was watching. Not Askia, Spencer, Andre, or Tad.
When he put his head down in a gym or a weight room – his head up in a video review –
to earn one more minute to win one more game; those were Sabatino’s greatest moments.
That was when he gained respect greater than game winners.

We are drawn over-and-over-and-over again to watch sport under the impression – if not
hope – that the team wanting it more can win. It’s really no different than our own daily
lives in which success can be ours if we do the requisite work and then perhaps go above
and beyond. Sport just provides a dramatic and immediate view the final outcome of that
effort. A final score is just slightly more fun than a sales report.

The Sabatino Chens of college basketball let us believe that.

Cornerstone-type stuff indeed and I’d love to hear what Xavier Johnson thought of
competing for a starting spot with Chen – a player he’s wildly more talented than. My
guess is Johnson would tell you he’s a better basketball player because of it. That Chen
worked his ass off and was rewarded for it and so Johnson had but one option if he too
wanted minutes. Work his ass off.

Like I said, this time of year engenders nostalgia and a whole lot of feel good farewells.
Just another part of the insanity of fandom.

Follow the entire set of senior features
On twitter:
https://twitter.com/PacHoops_Feeder
https://twitter.com/pachoopsab

On Tumblr:
http://pachoops.tumblr.com/

And on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pachoops25

I just wrote like 500+ words on Chen and didn't say Hair once. I consider that a moderate fail.

I enjoyed the article, but there absolutely needs to be a mention of the "Super Ninchendo" nickname which was given to Sab during CU's preseason Europe tour by a pair of French radio announcers who called our games there...

I enjoyed the article, but there absolutely needs to be a mention of the "Super Ninchendo" nickname which was given to Sab during CU's preseason Europe tour by a pair of French radio announcers who called our games there...

WHAT? that came up during an allbuffs nickname contest for Chen. It was a family member that had that gem.

I thought it was the French radio guys...my bad...

those guys were brilliant and did come up with jelly, which has stuck, but maybe they did come up with ninchendo on their own.

Eli Stalzer : Enerstalzer

Josh Scott : Jelly Scott

Askia Booker : Moumoutte

Wesley Gordon : Gordon Gekko

Andre Roberson : DreSlamRoberson

Beau Gamble : Beautiful Gamble

Spencer Dinwiddie : The Mayor

Sabatino Chen : Super Nichendo

Ben Mills : Big Ben

Chensanity is the standard by which the hair of all future Buffs will be measured. And they shall be found lacking.

Back