What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

PacHoops: The Colorado Basketball Season in Review

allbuffs

Administrator
By Adam Butler
www.PacHoops.com

Colorado’s final game unfolded a lot like their season: they got hot, they got cold, they
got hot, and they cooled off again. Which isn’t to say much, really. Because ultimately
the metaphor, in my opinion, ends only in a positive place. Following now back-to-back
successful campaigns as fierce Pac competitors – Tad and his program are seen as far
more than the new guys. They’re here to compete and here to contend and this season
proved they’re going to do a lot more than talk about it. Good season.

My five biggest moments of the 2012-13 Colorado Buffaloes:

5. Winning the Charleston Classic
The Buffs entered the season with optimism yet modest expectations. But that didn’t
matter, quickly demonstrating that they’d taken full advantage of their time in Europe.
Askia Booker garnered MVP honors setting the ceiling very high on what this team
would and could accomplish. After all, Booker is the type of talent that may limit a team
but as things click, when things are going right, he ensures the team is capable of more
than anyone could imagine. Not the least of which includes exacting revenge on the
eventually NIT bound Baylor Bears.

4. The Monitors
Whether we want to admit it or not – and we’re admitting it now – the Monitor situation
in Tucson was a major moment in this team’s season. As mentioned, the Buffs had
melded together in Europe and seemingly rid themselves of the pressure of expectations
(aside from a slight hiccup in Lawrence). So when the Buffs waltzed into McKale and for
about 38-minutes took it to the third ranked Wildcats, they sent a message. A message
that unfortunately went briefly lost on themselves following the officiating gaffe, which
had a direct effect on the following handful of games. They would bounce back and play
the better for it.

3. Valentine’s Day
We return to a discussion of the Arizona Wildcats in our third major moment of 12-13.
This time, however, the Buffaloes made sure there would be nothing to monitor in the
game’s aftermath. As is well documented, I attended this game, and had a helluva time.
It was also very clear to me that Colorado expected to win that game. And when I say
Colorado, I mean everyone from the players, managers, fans, and support staff. Any and
everything black and gold expected to win that game and they went ahead and did. That
was a program game.

2. Selection Sunday
For the second time in as many years – and the first back-to-back invites in nearly half-
a-century – the Buffaloes were invited to Dance. They garnered a 10-seed and drew what
would prove to be a tough Illinois team in a game that served as a season microcosm.
Alas, getting terribly caught up in the wee details of a single loss will drive a man insane.
At a certain point, reflection must respect and appreciate the process. The Buffs were
dancing, they had a chance to advance and while they didn’t this time, well there’s
always…

1. Next
The bar is now set. Colorado, as we mentioned previously, has expectations of itself.
They know who they are and what they want to be and own an identity all unto
themselves. That’s special. Identity, as it were, can go a long way towards success. Ask
the now dismissed Ben Howland, or examine his program from today back to his UCLA
glory days. Commitment to an identity is what Tad proved he’s got in his program. I
don’t know if Spencer Dinwiddie or Andre Roberson will stay. I’m not positive what sort
of strides Xavier Johnson will make over the summer. But I do know that whatever the
next roster holds, whoever dons the black and gold this coming November and beyond
will know that Spencer and Dre wore that jersey with the same expectation – to compete
– that will be expected of them. 2012-13 may not have finished quite the way you’d have
liked, but it served as a launching pad for what’s next.

#IsItNovemberYet

Back