What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Parade of Buffs

Here is today’s top 25 football ranking. How many are exceptional in academics on a relative basis?

1 Alabama (59) 4-0 1499
2 Oregon 4-0 1414
3 LSU (1) 4-0 1346
4 Florida State 4-0 1340
5 Georgia 4-0 1245
6 South Carolina 4-0 1147
7 Kansas State 4-0 1067
8 Stanford 3-0 1055
9 West Virginia 3-0 1045
10 Notre Dame 4-0 1003
11 Florida 4-0 864
12 Texas 3-0 856

13 USC 3-1 801
14 Ohio State 4-0 633
15 TCU 3-0 616
16 Oklahoma 2-1 611
17 Clemson 3-1 588
18 Oregon State 2-0 451
19 Louisville 4-0 414
20 Michigan State 3-1 348
21 Mississippi State 4-0 246
22 Nebraska 3-1 179
23 Rutgers 4-0 128
24 Boise State 2-1 114
25 Baylor 3-0 92

All strong academic schools that are equal to, or better than CU academically. Ohio State state is no slouch, and frankly schools like Rutgers, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Clemson and Alabama are quite close to CU academically (thanks in large part to our stagnation over the last decade...wonder if football has anything to do with the stagnated application pool?) and before anyone laughs at Alabama, check the rankings. They have improved leaps and bounds over the last decade.

we really shouldn't let academics get in the way of a winning football program.

i know this is controversial, but if cal, stanford, ucla, and, yes, even usc (which are all in our conference and all are more academically respected than dear ol' CU) can do what it takes to win, then so can we.

to paraphrase the bear: no one ever put 100,000 people in a stadium to watch a math quiz.

football IS the bond that ties us to the school after graduation. it is the glue. it is the basis for a lifelong relationship with the school and, as our relationship with the school is strong, we deliver $$ to lots of different parts of the university, besides athletics. and, football is a great advertisement for the school. it brings in more applications. more applications means more selectivity in choosing your student base. more selectivity means stronger academic credentials of the students entering.

football is the very foundation of higher education, dammit!

ok, that last part might be a little hyperbolic, but you get the idea.

give me a winning football team! everything else will flow from that... roses will bloom! (rose bowl, baby), birds will sing (the fight song, baby!), rainbows will appear (this is the most beatiful campus on earth!), and wine will flow from the heavens (well, along with beer and whisky).

GO BUFFS!

This. This. And, oh yeah, This.

who cares about excellence??? I want trophies in the case. That is what truly matters

I learned something interesting last night at my daughter's SAT prep meeting.

In 1997 USC's college acceptance rate was close to 75%. Today SC is considered to be one of the elite colleges because their acceptance rate is now 18%. What happened between '97 and now? Most college acceptance authorities agree that the resurgence of USC's football program to elite status (Carroll hired in 2000) was behind the jump in student applications. Now because there is higher demand to get into SC, they can justify charging even more money for tuition.

Mr. Benson, this is how it works. Make a great football program -> more students want to go to school there -> you can charge more for tuition. Simple little equation.

Now spend some damn money on facilities!!!!!

Last edited:
Er.. why is there like 4 pages in this thread about MIT and Harvard?
Because a meth cook equates that when talking about football excellence and academic excellence, the Ivy League schools are an example of a reason why you can't have both....:rolling_eyes:

Because a meth cook equates that when talking about football excellence and academic excellence, the Ivy League schools are an example of a reason why you can't have both....:rolling_eyes:

You'd think a guy named Walter White would be down to bend some rules to get ahead.

Speaking of which, this sums up our situation quite well

[video=youtube;cWfK5JyD2bA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWfK5JyD2bA[/video]

I forgot the best part of the event, Emma Coburn. She broke my heart when she said she had a boyfriend tho

we really shouldn't let academics get in the way of a winning football program.

i know this is controversial, but if cal, stanford, ucla, and, yes, even usc (which are all in our conference and all are more academically respected than dear ol' CU) can do what it takes to win, then so can we.

to paraphrase the bear: no one ever put 100,000 people in a stadium to watch a math quiz.

football IS the bond that ties us to the school after graduation. it is the glue. it is the basis for a lifelong relationship with the school and, as our relationship with the school is strong, we deliver $$ to lots of different parts of the university, besides athletics. and, football is a great advertisement for the school. it brings in more applications. more applications means more selectivity in choosing your student base. more selectivity means stronger academic credentials of the students entering.

football is the very foundation of higher education, dammit!

ok, that last part might be a little hyperbolic, but you get the idea.

give me a winning football team! everything else will flow from that... roses will bloom! (rose bowl, baby), birds will sing (the fight song, baby!), rainbows will appear (this is the most beatiful campus on earth!), and wine will flow from the heavens (well, along with beer and whisky).

GO BUFFS!

:focus: :yeahthat:

Let’s break it down. I don’ think there are many schools that can claim to be top notch in both academics and athletics. It’s subjective, of course. And this discussion is weighted a little towards football vs. “other” sports since this is a football board.

GOLD STANDARD

Stanford – They win the Director’s Cup every single year, and in recent years they’ve added football to the list. Do I even need to say anything about their academics?

NEXT LEVEL

UCLA – They are usually second in the Director’s Cup. They have won more NCAA championships than any other school. That said, many of their championships come in minor sports for women. Many of their championships come in sports that do not have wide participation: water polo, women’s gymnastics, men’s volleyball, etc. Academics are top notch. Football is a little shaky. Could and should be much, much, much better. They’re not committed to paying big bucks to the entire coaching staff. Don’t know why.

Michigan – Fantastic athletics and academics. Michigan football history is about as good as it gets. Perennially at the top of the Director’s Cup.

Cal – Academics are phenomenal. Often at the top of the Director’s Cup rankings. Lots of talent on the football field, but the results are fairly mediocre.

THIRD TIER

Florida – Nobody has had more recent success in the combo of football & hoops. Excellence in “other” sports as well. Very solid academics.

Texas – Always near the top in the Director’s Cup. Gold standard in football. National power & championships in many other sports. Excellent academics. Public ivy. Elite graduate level programs in engineering, law, business, information systems, etc. Massive research institution.

USC – Top notch athletics and academics. Football history is about as good as it gets. Dominant in many other sports (baseball, swimming, tennis, etc.)

North Carolina – Outstanding academics. Gold standard in hoops. Football history is mediocre.

Duke – Outstanding academics. Gold standard in hoops. Football history is pathetic.

Notre Dame – Not sure about this one. Notre Dame football is iconic. Academics are excellent. However, obviously not a lot of football success in last 20ish years. Don’t know about the other sports.

OTHERS?
Georgia Tech
Georgia
Virginia
Penn State

I believe CU is a great Universtiy. I believe great Universities strive for excellence across the board. Like it or not, your athletics program is the most visible thing a University has. The FB team is the most visible aspect of your athletics. It isn't that hard to understand the link between a FB team in the top 25 and a highly recognized University....

Some of your are not understandign the debate. This is what i was responding to, the claim that there is a "link".

Or we can keep it Walter since we know he's probably gonna die next summer anyway.

I would say the odds of W White's rep bar turning red by the end of the day are good, but I never took statistics.

Some of your are not understandign the debate. This is what i was responding to, the claim that there is a "link".

Is this a product of a CU education? We obviously have added another "grammarian" to our list of football experts. Shoulder to shoulder? Only if you can spell shoulder. I have my doubts.

Some of your are not understandign the debate. This is what i was responding to, asshole, the claim that there is a "link".

Is this a product of a CU education? We obviously have added another "grammarian" to our list of football experts. Shoulder to shoulder? Only if you can spell shoulder. I have my doubts.

Fixed. Never end a phrase with a preposition. Did Wally have a scotch omelett for breakfast?

If you can't use normal size fonts, I'm not reading your posts. Basically, I scroll right past them (in my world large fonts on the internet are pretty much equal to writing a letter with a crayon) - and based on the posts I do actually read, somebody is getting their ass kicked in a debate about academics, academic reputations and football.

I think 'tini referenced one of my threads, and apparently the large font guy may have tried to argue against it. All I know is that thread linked to a peer-reviewed paper issued by the premier economics research group in the world, and I'm pretty sure I trust them more than some internet troll that likes to write things down using a crayon.

Back