PC Gaming All In One Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jalapeno, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Doom Slayer Club Member

I'm going to do a new PC build this year and I want it to be able to play games in smooth 4K gameplay. I'm thinking that means the GTX 1080 Ti at minimum or the upcoming AMD Vega card which appears to be an updated AMD Fury X that will have more shaders than the XBox Scorpio (4,096 vs 2,560). Given that the GTX 1080 has 2,560 CUDA cores, it appears that the GTX 1080 is capable of 4K gaming at 60 fps as well. Can't wait for the likes of Computex (opens May 30) and E3 (opens June 13) when AMD/Nvidia unveil new graphics stuff.

The main question is which CPU should I go with in this case? I'm looking at the eight core Ryzen CPUs and given that Scorpio is based on AMD technology, I don't see anything wrong with going with AMD because Intel is just too freaking expensive in some ways. However, Coffee Lake's i5 and i7 cpus is strongly rumored to be six cores each (i5 would have no hyperthreading).

I'm going to upgrade the CPU in my gaming rig which is a cheap Pentinum G3220. I just got EA Origin Access for one year and I just tried to play Star Wars Battlefront and it was no bueno (at low settings) with the GTX 1050 I bought a couple of months ago. Going to get an i7-4790K even if I'm not going to be able to overclock it...four cores at 4GHZ (4.4 turbo) will do the job and it's currently $279.99 at MicroCenter...or those Xenon CPUs (Intel i7s without the iGPU) for a little less.

It also appears that most devs are still struggling with DX12/Vulkan where the games would take advantage of more than one core on the CPU so many game devs have stuck with DX11. The big question is when will the devs besides the major ones figure out DX12/Vulkan?

Console gamers might want to look into PC gaming: https://gamerant.com/pachter-console-gaming-gone-by-2020/

74% of games now bought digitally: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...figures-show-74-percent-of-sales-are-digital/

2. gone native

gone native Club Member Club Member

Get an iPad

3. Matt

Matt Club Member Club Member

AMD Ryzen is looking pretty impressive for the price.

4. Jalapeno

Intel could be in trouble once the game devs figure out multi core support for DX12/Vulkan games since that would favor AMD's Ryzen cpus. I'm going to put a quad core CPU in my current PC (socket llga 1150) this summer then build a Ryzen gaming machine after that. Can't hurt to have the best of both worlds.

It'll be neat to make the jump to 4K gaming and Doom in 4K looked good with the AMD Vega.

5. Matt

This AMD stuff is great news even if you are intel or Nvidia fanboy. There has been a lack of competition in the computer market for way too long

6. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

yup, the graphics market going to only super high end was bad for everyone.

7. Jalapeno

Yes I agree and the high cost of GPUs pretty much kept me away from PC gaming until recently. Now with a CPU & motherboard in place, I was able to tell my wife that I was getting my GTX 1050 (which is a faster GTX 750 Ti) for about 1/3 of the cost of a PS4/XB1.

Yes and Intel's CPUs have been too expensive for too long. I hope AMD really does step it up in the GPU market because their RX 480/580s aren't that much different from the GTX 1060 it seems. I'm probably going to go with the AMD GPU with my Ryzen build. Since I'm intending for that build to be a 4K gaming machine, it seems like only the Vega would do in this case. Even the Vega's 4,096 stream cores is more than the Scorpio's 2,560 stream cores so I think 4K gaming shouldn't be an issue on the Vega. Now I just got to figure out what Ryzen 7 CPU I'm going to get. The big question is what will the Ryzen CPUs be like when AMD is done with the AM4 motherboards. 16/32 core CPUs? Maybe we will be on the verge of doing 8K gaming which seems like madness...LOL.

8. Heywood

Heywood Your own, personal, Heywood Club Member

9. Jalapeno

The Ryzen 3 CPUs (I believe four core non SMT) should be coming out in the 2H of this year. The cheapest one might hit the $99.99 price tag and it will be a quad core. The Ryzen line from what I know at this point will not have dual core CPUs. If you want to game, you would need to get a GPU in this case. The desktop APUs will not be out until 1Q 2018 at the earliest. The Ryzen APU iGPU will either be the 768 stream core (same as the XB1) or the 1,024 stream core with HBM2 (which gets you close to the PS4 performance given its 1,152 stream cores). The laptop versions should be coming out 2H 2017 but they will have just 704 stream cores but since most laptops tend to have 768p monitors instead of 1080p, that might be sufficient. I think it would be sufficient to play Overwatch.

If I was to do my first build today with an Intel CPU, I'd go with an i5 with DDR4 RAM and even without a GPU unless I could afford it. With the Intel iGPU, the memory bandwidth would exceed the PS3/360's 22.4 GB/s and I have seen the newer Intel CPUs getting closer to 40 GB/s which should mean every PS3/360 port to the PC should run on that iGPU. Then when you feel like you are ready to get a GPU for 1080p gaming, it will cost less than a PS4/XB1. If you can get the more expensive i7, do not hesitate to get that CPU.

Because I already have a GT 730 (for PS3/360 type of games) in addition to the GTX 1050, I can just buy the Ryzen 7 CPU, motherboard, SSD, and RAM and still achieve XB1/PS4 level performance with the GTX 1050. Then I can focus on acquiring the AMD Vega GPU. Even i3 CPUs with GTX 750 Ti GPUs still outperformed the PS4 in some game tests performed by Digital Foundry. The GT 730 and Intel Pentinum G3220 cost me about $125 back then. The i5 CPU would cost just about $50 more and have two extra CPU cores.

While the gaming PC will have a higher start up cost, it can end up being cheaper over the long run compared to the consoles. You also have GOG, Steam, Origin, UPlay, Humble Bundle, Bundlestar, SCDKey, etc. I strongly recommend you use PayPal with some of those sites (BundleStar, SCDKey, Kinguin, etc) because if you don't get the product, it's easier to get your money back. That is the advice I got from many PCgamers online. While Sony and Microsoft seemingly have responded to those frequent sales by having those types of sales more often, you are buying from just one store instead of at least a few online stores.

And yes, you can use a Playstation Dualshock 4 controller on Steam plus you can have Playstation Now on it. You could claim to have a Playstation 4 and XBox One all in one machine. :lol:

And if anyone was wondering, the Nintendo Switch has 256 CUDA cores...that's good for PS3 level of performance on a mobile CPU which is still impressive. Just imagine what Nintendo could do if they had a GPU that had a similar number of stream/CUDA cores as the PS4/XB1.

10. Jalapeno

8K gaming might not be that far off.

11. Highlander

Highlander There can be only one Club Member

The game developers will put more pressure on the shaders, textures, etc., but still - 4k gaming is here today and the feasibility of 8k gaming is pretty close.

12. Matt

I will think about 8k when they can do 4k at 144 FPS

13. Highlander

Highlander There can be only one Club Member

Just because you figure it will take a 4x hit in FPS on the move up to 8k from 4k, or something else?

14. Jalapeno

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3192...gas-ability-to-handle-8k-graphics-at-nab.html

AMD's Vega GPU that is coming was demoed doing video editing in 8k...and article says 8k gaming could be just a few years away.

Have been looking at 4k photos of games compared to 1080p and it's just so amazing. Just last year, I was content with 720p gaming on the old GT 730. Given that Nvidia and AMD will have new GPU cards instead of refreshes next year, it could be the year that 4k gaming really starts to go mainstream.

15. Matt

Playing on 144Hz monitors vs standard 60Hz is a big upgrade, gameplay is so smooth. You need games to play at 144 FPS to get the full effect though. 8K might look pretty but I don't want to play it at 20-30 FPS, 60 FPS isn't enough for me these days

Highlander likes this.
  16. Jalapeno

Given that 4K visuals look so good...if you didn't have a 144Hz monitor today, which one would you choose? I'm gunning for 4K but I would choose smooth gameplay over graphics.

17. Jalapeno

18. Jalapeno

19. Matt

I would pick 144Hz. Using 1080p still. Might upgrade to at least 2k since the refresh rates are going up on those monitors. It takes a lot of horsepower to run some of today's games at 144 FPS though.

I expected Vega to be slower. If priced well it will still be good for the market.

20. Jalapeno

Thanks...some games are getting 100+ FPS on my GTX 1050 so I could see myself getting a 144Hz monitor instead of a 4K monitor.

21. Jalapeno

Anyone like NBA Jam or NBA Street? New game like those two came out for the PC and is also available on the PS4, XB1, and Switch.

Early reviews on Steam appear positive for this game and it's only $20 as well.

TDforTD likes this.
  22. Jalapeno

Why not create an iOS gaming thread then?

23. TDforTD

TDforTD Club Member Club Member

I admit I got embarrassingly good at NBA jam lol. I've downloaded NBA playgrounds to play with a few friends online. I'm ready.

24. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I've been playing Stellaris a ton. A beautiful 4x.... Needs some polish, but polish and expansion is what Paradox does. Currently have a race of technocratic butterflies that rely on AI and syths for production. A peaceful race, but highly xenophobic, they've got sed technology to control a major chunk of the Galaxy... Unfortunately they just had to grant citizen rights to their AI, or face internal uprising from the robots. They couldn't handle that while also pledging to protect the Galaxy from the threat that just emerged from outside the Galaxy, the Unbidden.

Will the robots take control and split the Hegemony? Will the Unbidden and Fallen Empires claim control? Or will the universe fall under the rule of peaceful, technocratic butterflies?

25. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Got Wall and Ewing in my first few packs :)

TDforTD likes this.
  26. Jalapeno

27. Jalapeno

28. Jalapeno

29. Matt

Alien Isolation is $9.99 on steam. Long game and if you enjoyed the Alien movies you should enjoy the game.

30. Matt

I was going to wait for AMD Vega to see what it does but I know it will not do what I want, so I ordered 1080 ti today. RIP wallet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.