PC Gaming All In One Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jalapeno, Apr 24, 2017.

1. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King Club Member

cities is great, Jurassic world is pretty thin... Transport Fever might be worth playing as well as Airport CEO

InTheBuff likes this.
  2. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Doom Slayer Club Member

Still enjoying Sim City Unlimited 3000. You can get the digital version on GOG.com.

3. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

You'll probably need more than a $500 laptop.

4. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

yep ...looks like $800.00 might get me in the door at low settings

5. Jalapeno

This is why I'm not letting go of my Amazon Prime subscription anytime soon:

6. Matt

Matt Club Member Club Member

Yeah I did that math and paid for prime renewal last night. I am getting $59.99 in free Twitch Sub each month. Probably $60 to $80 with a free Kindle book each month. I have claimed all those free prime games but haven't played a single one. I don't even have the twitch desktop client installed right now lol.

Jalapeno likes this.
  7. Jalapeno

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodus-epic-store-steam/

Epic Games stole Metro Exodus from Steam. For my PC gaming sales I go to Steam, Epic Games (haven't bought a game there yet), Windows Store, GOG, Humble Bundle, Origin, Battle.net, and Twitch Prime. I have had Bethesda on my PC and I wouldn't be surprised if one more store for PC games emerges.

8. Jalapeno

LOL...I don't play them much either and have maybe just a few installed.

9. Matt

Reddit is up in rage about Epic store stealing games. I have 5 launchers installed right now, I really don't care.

Jalapeno likes this.
  10. Jalapeno

11. Jalapeno

12. Jalapeno

https://www.gamerevolution.com/features/485491-console-power-gaming-evolution

We are going to continue to see stories like this forever where consoles are said to be holding games back. As I am typing this, I see the bright blue and red joy-con controllers on my Switch and shake my head at articles like this. When I was thinking of getting a XB1 or PS4 at the time, I saw that i3-4130 and GTX 750Ti versus PS4 performance video and that was one of the factors that steered me towards PC gaming. After buying three 360s in a decade (from moving around and trading at GameStop), I decided that I have had enough of that and went ahead and built a PC with a strict budget of $50.00 per component unless it was not feasible. Pentinum G3220 was $50.00, mobo was about $40.00, disc drive was about $40, case with 500W power supply was dirt cheap as well, and 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM was about $50.00...ditto for the 1 TB HDD. The only thing that went above that amount was the G7 730 which had 1 GB GDDR5 VRAM. I was able to build my PC for less than the actual 360 not counting the cost of Windows.

Now with the XBox One X, I don't think it is possible to build a PC set up unless you get the components from the used component market. Speaking of that, I just purchased an used i5-4590 CPU for about $53.

13. Jalapeno

14. Matt

Battlefield V is overrun with cheaters. Anthem demo was a **** show but I am still installing it. If you have a wife she might dig The Sims 4. They have bunch of other games. I still don’t regret the $99 a spent for the year. When I get to my computer I will list games I added to my library to play

15. Jalapeno

I have offered the wife The Sims franchises and she still prefers the iPad...at least I tried LOL.

I have Access Basic and I'm still blown away by the value of that. Madden 19 was just added to that recently so I'm in no rush to do Access Premier. Darksiders III was a nice addition but I'd like to see more before I upgrade and I have already purchased almost every single Need For Speed game on the PC that can be downloaded.

As for which Origin games I have installed, they are:

Madden 19 (bought)
    Burnout Remastered (bought)

That might be it but the i5-4590 CPU will arrive on Monday if not earlier. I'm going to re-download some Need For Speed games unless they are still there. I have Shift 2 on Steam and it's on my PC. I'm going to be playing with the settings of pretty much every game but I am excited for the new CPU since I think hyperthreading isn't good for PC gaming since it seems to me at times that the slower Pentium G3220 performed better than the quicker i3-4130 that is about to be replaced. I could turn that off but some games require four threads in order to run especially Need For Speed Payback, both Star Wars Battlefront games, and probably a few more such games. The new CPU will solve that problem once for all.

As for the Xbox Play Anywhere games, I'm definitely re-downloading Forza Horizon 3 but I'm thinking more stable 30 FPS in that game is most likely but I'll still gun for 60 FPS play. I'm going to demo Crackdown 3 (hopefully they have a demo for that one) and then take advantage of the $1 first month deal for Xbox Game Pass then since XGP's price doesn't change regardless of how many months you buy at a time, I'm probably going to do three month subs for $30. At the same time, I plan to purchase more Xbox Play Anywhere games because I'm seriously considering getting the next gen Xbox unless the i5-4590 can carry the load at least a few years into the 2020's with a 7nm discrete GPU from AMD or Nvidia. Gears of War 4 is on sale for $9.99 right now but I'd like to wait until I try that game although I liked the original Gears of War.

XGP and EA Access on the XB1 together would be one heck of a deal on the XB1/"XB2" since EA Access has 60 games total and XGP just surpassed 200 games. That could be nearly 300 games for just $130 per year at the most...now how is that for value!

I'm going to try again with PS Now on my PC and go with three month subs which is $45 ($15 per month). I could simply alternate between XGP and PSN on the PC. I think this year or next year will see price cuts to the XB1 and PS4 hardware and that would be a good path to go down if PSN doesn't work out on the PC. But being able to experience Xbox and PlayStation games on the same device is just awesome...and Nintendo might join the fold some day...their Switch Online service is a huge steal at $20 and will only improve as Nintendo brings the SNES games online plus I suspect the N64 and GBA games will make their way there as well.

We are really living in the golden age of gaming unless we haven't reached that point.

16. Matt

@Jalapeno you are so damn frugal and put so much thought in your PC parts. I am half tempted to mail you my Ryzen 2700x when I upgrade to Zen 2 in 2019.

Games I have added from Premier. Some of them I know nothing about, I liked the thumbnail.

A Way Out
    BF 5 (Loved it, hated the cheaters)
    Athem (Demo was a **** show but still think I will get at least 40 hours in the release before I get bored)
    Darksiders 3 (Loved the first two.)
    Pillars of Eternity
    Unravel 1 and 2
    SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

If I actually play these games I think that is a pretty damn good deal for $99 for the year.

Highlander and Jalapeno like this.
  17. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

If a game isn't on Steam, it is mostly invisible to me. That is where my library is, that is where I shop.

I own two games on Origins and 2 on GOG.... And I mostly forget I even have them.

Dumb for PC to start going 3rd part exclusives.

18. Matt

Companies doing their own launcher is going to be the new normal. I really don't care.

Jalapeno likes this.
  19. Jalapeno

Can't believe I left out Humble Bundle Trove.

@Matt: Me being frugal? I think "great deal finder or videogame shopper" is more like it. I think I'm already past the point of no return in that aspect. :LOL:

Given that this was my first build, I have learned some good lessons. Going frugal on the mobo and CPU is not going to be an option. ;)

20. dio

It is a Launcher, it is an exclusive store for third parties. You might not care, and that is fine. But as a consumer, I dont care for ****ty companies like Epic having that much information just so I can play maybe one game

It is completely anti-consumer

21. Matt

dio has been on reddit with his pitchfork about Epic. I might buy the metro game even though I still need to play the first two just to trigger you. :LOL:

22. Jalapeno

I imagine game devs would love to have their games not overshadowed by many, many, games in the store. Most of my games are on Steam as well but thanks to Twitch Prime, the Twitch library is closing on 50% of my total Steam library.

It's awesome right now when it comes to having sales but if this leads to a crash in the videogame industry, that'd suck.

I also wonder how long it will be before games are taken off of such stores and made exclusive to streaming services.

23. Matt

Ok frugal is wrong word but the amount of time and research you put in is pretty impressive.

WarBuff and Jalapeno like this.
  24. Jalapeno

It's going to be interesting where PC gaming goes if the rumors of the next XBox and Playstation consoles are true of those having discrete gpus. One rumor I have come across is that the PS5 will have two GPUs (one for graphics and one for ray tracing)...that reminds me of the PS3 which had two 256MB GPUs compared to the 360's unified 512MB GPU at the time. The way both companies are behaving are awfully similar to what it was like in the run up to the launch of the PS3/360.

LOL...no worries. Still the best decision I have ever made to move to PC gaming and I managed to skip out on buying a XB1/PS4 during this generation of consoles five years in a row. I'm going to be curious to see how far into the next generation cycle my CPU/mobo set up (along with a next gen GPU) can take me before I have to build a new one. That is if I don't get the next gen XBox and I think MS is setting themselves up nicely for a strong run next gen. It would be freaking awesome if every XBox game could be played on the PC...maybe we will finally be able to play the original XBox and 360 games on the PC after E3 this year.

It's more fun to build the gaming console.

25. InTheBuff

I will have my new laptop for gaming Friday.
    Is it best to get a Steam account and purchase games through there rather than directly through the maker of the game ?
    Why is Steam the way to go ?

sorry ..guys ..I'm new to this
    mid-life crises at age 50

26. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Steam is a one stop shop plus they have some good sales from time to time. Also check cdkeys or ebay for steam codes.

27. dio

Steam is what I recommend, as it has everything (well, mostly everything) and a ton of mostly well baked features.

Are there specific games you want to buy?

28. Matt

Jalapeno and InTheBuff like this.
  29. InTheBuff

Planet Coaster, Cities and maybe a train game to start....nothing too crazy

30. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Cheap midlife crisis relative to a convertible. Very cheap midlife crisis compared to a 25 year old girlfriend.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.