PC Gaming All In One Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jalapeno, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Doom Slayer Club Member

I would believe that factoring in the faster boot times would make those SSDs worthwhile. It says something when your 2.4ghz dual core laptop from 2011 with a SSD installed still beats your 3.7ghz quad core with a HDD as the boot drive when it comes to boot times. Soon that will no longer be the case.

Final Fantasy XV for the PC recommends a SSD drive and that game runs in native 4K on the PC as opposed to 1080p on the consoles. That was pretty much the first warning to PC gamers when it came out to the PC last year. Open world games are only going to get bigger in the future and SSDs are going to soon be required as opposed to recommended. I was thinking the next gen consoles were going to SSDs but it seems like they are just going straight to M2. The confirmation of the PS5 is probably going to lead to a run on M2 drives.

Yes that is the plan. If the mobo would accept the M2 drive, I would have gotten that instead especially one that would have three times the read speed of a SSD.

HDDs would be good for storing photos, movies, phone backups, etc where the spinning disk will not be used as often. When it comes to gaming, that probably is a different story since the games accesses the storage drive more frequently plus bigger install files means more longer work for the storage drive.

And speaking of the network being the limitations, I agree with you especially at work!

2. Matt

Matt Club Member Club Member

I’m thinking about pulling my HDD out of my PC and doing NAS for local backups of my games. I like to keep them around if I want to play them again. Even with fast internet these newer games take awhile to download . All depends if that 35 watt AMD Ryzen rumor is true I heard about.

Jalapeno likes this.
  3. Highlander

Highlander There can be only one Club Member

I bought a Synology NAS in 2014 after years of debating if I wanted to spend the money. It is one of the best tech investments I have ever made. The thing has been bullet proof and runs like a Swiss watch 5 years later.

Jalapeno likes this.
  4. Jalapeno

Matt & Highlander, you really made my day by mentioning NAS drives!

I'm going to soon have two empty 1TB HDDs...perhaps I could buy something like empty NAS cases that or build myself one. I still have an empty computer case in storage that could have up to nine different drives installed in that case. Still have parts that I might only have to buy a LLGA 1150 motherboard from Amazon. Or Newegg sells embedded motherboards where the CPU is soldered in. Or best of all, it's time for a new build and to retire my current gaming PC to NAS duty! Now that's being eco-friendly to a degree. Perfect timing as the 7nm Ryzen cpus should be out soon and I have been eyeing 7nm as the next build. Intel Haswell was built on the 22nm process.

https://www.windowscentral.com/heres-what-you-need-know-when-building-your-own-nas

Article on how to build your own NAS.

5. Jalapeno

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-7nm-10nm-investor-process,39298.html

Intel looks like they are finally getting going on 10nm and 7nm. The timing of the announcement is quite curious as AMD is nearly two weeks away from unveiling their 7nm cpus and maybe gpus (E3?).

That Tiger Lake cpu with Xe graphics built in is said to have four times the power of the Gen 11 graphics...that could translate into a 4 tflop apu which would beat both the Xbox 1 and PS4 and give the PS4 Pro a run for its money.

6. Jalapeno

7. Jalapeno

https://www.techpowerup.com/255405/amd-ryzen-3000-zen-2-a-memory-oc-beast-ddr4-5000-possible

I'm going the APU route for my next build and I'm seeing impressive performance videos for Rage 2 on the 2400g which can go to 3200 or 3600 DDR4 RAM speeds depending on the motherboard (video is with a mobo running at 3200 RAM). This stuff is showing the rumor that the incoming X570 AMD motherboards could support up to 5000 DDR4 which would make a difference in that case.

The money that I would have spent on a dGPU can be put towards the faster RAM and more RAM as well. Might as well get 32GB of RAM in that case.

Attached Files:

8. Jalapeno

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  9. Jalapeno

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.