What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

PEDs and Alabama, and what that means for CU

1. Do you think Alabama and other SEC teams uses PEDs?

I think individuals on all teams are using them. I believe some teams are providing access and information to maximize the benefits and minimize the risks. In other words, they have a PED program, that is both sophisticated, but not tied directly to their program (untraceable).

2. Would you be OK with CU using PEDs if that meant a national title?

I am sure CU players have always used PEDs to some extent or another. Would I be in favor of CU's AD providing a program to promote PEDs as I describe in answer #1? No. It's cheating and it's life threatening. CU should play no role in providing access to PEDs.

Can someone explain to me why they test for marijuana? Is that a performance enhancer? If it is.... we should be the best college football team and fanbase in the country...

Probably because white 35 year old emasculated men like to project their dumb values on everything. It's same reason people like to throw out the words soft, heart, and loser/winner mentality.

Can someone explain to me why they test for marijuana? Is that a performance enhancer? If it is.... we should be the best college football team and fanbase in the country...
It's really stupid and a waste of money. I do remember reading an article on Oregon and how they have players blaze up before practices and **** and they self-police themselves :lol:

It's really stupid and a waste of money. I do remember reading an article on Oregon and how they have players blaze up before practices and **** and they self-police themselves :lol:

**** or **** because one of those is really interesting.

**** or **** because one of those is really interesting.
tumblr_m3in6hloaR1r1wkwpo1_500.jpg

From the media side, not that it holds a lot of water, but was curious listening to the Solid Verbal podcast, and Dan Rubenstein just threw out, "cause it's not like Alabama's using HGH, a program like Alabama would never allow anything like that."

The comment was very tongue in cheek. But the fact that they just threw that out there in what is a well listened to podcast in the CFB world, leads me to believe that there's more than angry Notre Dame fans mentioning this idea.

And that's not to say Saban is instituting an Ivan Drago style training program. But if you asked me if Eddie Lacy looks like he's on something, and not just another reincarnation of Herschel Walker that Alabama seems to find every year now, I'd say Alabama's running backs are juicing to one up each other now and gain 1st round level money. And I don't think that's crazy to come up with that assumption.

Last edited:
Who doesn't cheat these days to get ahead in sports, business or politics? I'm just feeling a bit cynical right now,,sorry. It could have something to with my job search after I was totally screwed by an idiot boss. I guess I should have played the same b.s. games as he did, but I was raised to play fair and honest. That lost me a job I have had for 25% of my life.

On the football front, yes I am sure there are teams and conferences more sophisticated about hiding their PED programs than others. Follow the $$$. I would like to understand just what testing programs are in force in the NCAA because I do not know personally (I apologize if this was already covered on this thread). Could there be a BALCO type situation in college football? Sure, for those with the right $$$ to offer. My husband and I together have been involved in the following: bodybuilding, power-lifting, olympic lifting, fitness competitions, horse showing (me), etc over the years and have seen PEDs and drugs used at every level in those sports. Most of those are small income, low visibility sports, so we have no doubt about what is possible at higher levels that have higher payback.

The links that were provided earlier in the thread essentially state that the NCAA testing program is easily beatable. They rely a lot on the schools themselves to self-police, and thus the problem.

I think this snippet from the ESPN article probably explains it (hint: $$$):
On paper, college football has a strong drug policy. The NCAA conducts random, unannounced drug testing and the penalties for failure are severe. Players lose an entire year of eligibility after a first positive test. A second offense means permanent ineligibility from sports.In practice, though, the NCAA's roughly 11,000 annual tests amount to just a fraction of all athletes in Division I and II schools. Exactly how many tests are conducted each year on football players is unclear because the NCAA hasn't published its data for two years. And when it did, it periodically changed the formats, making it impossible to compare one year of football to the next.

Even when players are tested by the NCAA, people involved in the process say it's easy enough to anticipate the test and develop a doping routine that results in a clean test by the time it occurs. NCAA rules say players can be notified up to two days in advance of a test, which Catlin says is plenty of time to beat a test if players have designed the right doping regimen. By comparison, Olympic athletes are given no notice.

"Everybody knows when testing is coming. They all know. And they know how to beat the test," Catlin said, adding, "Only the really dumb ones are getting caught."

Players are far more likely to be tested for drugs by their schools than by the NCAA. But while many schools have policies that give them the right to test for steroids, they often opt not to. Schools are much more focused on street drugs like cocaine and marijuana. Depending on how many tests a school orders, each steroid test can cost $100 to $200, while a simple test for street drugs might cost as little as $25.

When schools call and ask about drug testing, the first question is usually, "How much will it cost?" Turpin said.

Most schools that use Drug Free Sport do not test for anabolic steroids, Turpin said. Some are worried about the cost. Others don't think they have a problem. And others believe that since the NCAA tests for steroids their money is best spent testing for street drugs, she said.

full article here:
http://espn.go.com/college-football...roids-loom-major-college-football-report-says

Who doesn't cheat these days to get ahead in sports, business or politics? I'm just feeling a bit cynical right now,,sorry. It could have something to with my job search after I was totally screwed by an idiot boss. I guess I should have played the same b.s. games as he did, but I was raised to play fair and honest. That lost me a job I have had for 25% of my life.

On the football front, yes I am sure there are teams and conferences more sophisticated about hiding their PED programs than others. Follow the $$$. I would like to understand just what testing programs are in force in the NCAA because I do not know personally (I apologize if this was already covered on this thread). Could there be a BALCO type situation in college football? Sure, for those with the right $$$ to offer. My husband and I together have been involved in the following: bodybuilding, power-lifting, olympic lifting, fitness competitions, horse showing (me), etc over the years and have seen PEDs and drugs used at every level in those sports. Most of those are small income, low visibility sports, so we have no doubt about what is possible at higher levels that have higher payback.

Not sure I'm getting your point. You were raised to play fair, but got screwed at work and now juicing is okay?

When CU lands recruits that other schools actually want, then CU can start talking about PEDs being the difference or making a difference.

UT lands some of those. Since we're not allowed to speculate about PEDs, can we hear your thoughts on them?

Either go all the way and use every resource in testing for everything known, or make them legal. There is no middle ground in my opinion. Middle ground on this subject is a joke.

The tell tale is to follow a guy from college to the pros. A significant drop off is a sign. Weren't 'braska's linemen back in th day notorious for failing at the next level?

Will Shields was horrible in the pros. : ) Seriously, this is not the reason Alabama is better than Notre Dame, DBT. This whole PED crap is just another example of overregulation and political correctness. I think it is a symptom of the now-dominant tendency in this country to attribute any measurable difference in talent, intelligence or skill to "cheating." I think that Alabama simply has better football players and coaches than Notre Dame.

This whole PED crap is just another example of overregulation and political correctness.

You should read (or re-read) the NYT article DBT posted. It's the truth is the complete opposite of what you're thinking. There's no current regulation that is remotely effective, as noted by the lack of statistically meaningful positive test results.

I think it is a symptom of the now-dominant tendency in this country to attribute any measurable difference in talent, intelligence or skill to "cheating."

ESPN hasn't once inferred (to my knowledge) that Alabama and other top SEC teams are cheating via PEDs. The SEC hasn't been suspected of PED abuse by ESPN, even after 7 straight national titles by 4 SEC teams. They have been silent on the issue.

ESPN hasn't once inferred (to my knowledge) that Alabama and other top SEC teams are cheating via PEDs. The SEC hasn't been suspected of PED abuse by ESPN, even after 7 straight national titles by 4 SEC teams. They have been silent on the issue.

Lol ESPN

The next article I read claiming PEDs have played a part in Alabama and the SECs dominance will also be the first. As far as I know, no one is digging into this. So I'm not sure how anyone can say winners are portrayed as cheaters is the national sentiment. But maybe we're all reading different news sources.

The next article I read claiming PEDs have played a part in Alabama and the SECs dominance will also be the first. As far as I know, no one is digging into this. So I'm not sure how anyone can say winners are portrayed as cheaters is the national sentiment. But maybe we're all reading different news sources.

Do you not think PED's are widely used by schools across the country?

Just curious if you think ESPN would look into it.....what are the ramifications if they find out PED's are rampant in college football? If ESPN gets proof, well then they damage their largest TV contract......

Conflict of interest????.

Just curious if you think ESPN would look into it.....what are the ramifications if they find out PED's are rampant in college football? If ESPN gets proof, well then they damage their largest TV contract......

Conflict of interest????.

Exactly, major conflict of interest.

According to this wikipedia page, an AP writer broke the McGuire PED use. It would have to be done by a Yahoo Sports or AP writer to have a chance of zero conflict of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wilstein

Thing is, if PEDs were as rampant as some are suggesting, you would think the cat would have gotten out of the bag by now. Especially if programs know about it and look the other way.

Last edited:
Thing is, if PEDs were as rampant as some are suggesting, you would think the cat would have gotten out of the bag by now. Especially if programs know about it and look the other way.

Depends on who wants it out of the bag. Networks aren't going to jeopardize lucrative contracts by restricting the best teams.

ABC just broke news about players taking legally prescribed pain killers that have been going on for years..... No way the network can get to the PED's

Back