What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

People relax

Unleash Hell

We lost to the #5 team in the country who is a very fast and physical team. We have had our bad breaks this year with injuries and we continue to miss our opportunities with our youth. I think with a healthy O-line and ok maybe a QB like Ballenger we win against FSU and probably stay in the game vs Texass. Just not our year and I know this will sound like a cubs fan, but if we can stay healthy next year, look out! I still see us winning 7-8 this year. I think Kansas, Kansas state, A&M, ISU, and NU are very winnable games for us.

Relax, everything will be ok!

It isn't losing that bothers me it is how we lose. I was at the FSU game and watching that first half I knew we had missed some great opportunities. Had we gone into halftime with more then a 10 point lead, which we should have, might have made FSU start trying to go vertical in the passing game in the second half and that is not their strength.

Against UT last night it was clear that we were overmatched, yet it should not have been the blowout that it was. Missing 3 first half field goals at CU to me is ludicrous. Our kicking game has always been strong and it should be something that continues to be strong. I love Cody's grittiness and tenacity, but I question his overall tools. I think he understands the offense but I just honestly believe that he may not have the mechanics neccessary to get over the hurdle. Batted down balls and the inability to get a ball down field to an open receiver before the DB closes in is a a result of arm strength. I just wonder if it is time to open up the QB battle a bit?

Plus, this wasn't as bad as the Mizzou game last year. And we had hardly any rushing vs. FSU last year. We still went bowling.

I think people are not rememebering that when they are saying we wont win another game or we have no rushing game. We have had two straight 100 yard rushing single performances the last two games. Texas is good and we were without 2 of our starting O-linemen.

It isn't losing that bothers me it is how we lose. I was at the FSU game and watching that first half I knew we had missed some great opportunities. Had we gone into halftime with more then a 10 point lead, which we should have, might have made FSU start trying to go vertical in the passing game in the second half and that is not their strength.

Against UT last night it was clear that we were overmatched, yet it should not have been the blowout that it was. Missing 3 first half field goals at CU to me is ludicrous. Our kicking game has always been strong and it should be something that continues to be strong. I love Cody's grittiness and tenacity, but I question his overall tools. I think he understands the offense but I just honestly believe that he may not have the mechanics neccessary to get over the hurdle. Batted down balls and the inability to get a ball down field to an open receiver before the DB closes in is a a result of arm strength. I just wonder if it is time to open up the QB battle a bit?

Thats my point, we were overmatched against the #5 TEAM!. But everybody is jumping off cliffs. It's not that bad. This is still a bowl team we have even with our injuries.

Well I am not jumping off a cliff, but I think the offense needs a spark and a good QB battle this week at practice may ignite that.

Well I am not jumping off a cliff, but I think the offense needs a spark and a good QB battle this week at practice may ignite that.
I hope this QB controversy you want can somehow magically teach the Oline how to block better, because if that happens, and only that, then it will be worth it. Other than that, the idea is wrong.

I hope this QB controversy you want can somehow magically teach the Oline how to block better, because if that happens, and only that, then it will be worth it. Other than that, the idea is wrong.

Open competition for starting spots is never wrong. I am not saying replace Cody, but if the game dictates that we need to play a QB that can run, then that's who should be playing. We do not have a proven player at the QB position, so if a defense is exploiting Codys -- uh, non-mobile-ness, then we have to play the Qb who is mobile.

Open competition for starting spots is never wrong. I am not saying replace Cody, but if the game dictates that we need to play a QB that can run, then that's who should be playing. We do not have a proven player at the QB position, so if a defense is exploiting Codys -- uh, non-mobile-ness, then we have to play the Qb who is mobile.

It's not even a matter of playing a mobile QB. Cody doesn't have the tools to run the plays you need to run to offset a pass rush like UT has. Mobility is half the equation, but you need the height and the gun to hit the quick slants, 3 step drops and quick outs. Cody needs passing lanes, to offset the the rush, you need to get rid of the ball quickly (before passing lanes open) and see and get the ball over the linemen.

as others have said, the issue doesn't rest solely with our qb position. any qb would have difficulty making plays against that speed on defense we saw yesterday; and the fact that we are struggling on the ol made that situation much worse.

one thing i think we need to do is give our qb a quick outlet when the line breaks down (which happens too frequently). i don't know how many times yesterday the play was designed for a pass to the wides, but we had no short outlet up the middle to fall back on. imo, that is a game prep and gameday coaching issue.

if you remember, one of the most successful plays was the quick shovel pass up the middle that got past their rushing dl, and there was nobody prepared to stop the play until we were into the secondary. we don't have the experience on our ol to protect for a spread set against the fast and experienced defense like ut has...

We lost to the #5 team in the country who is a very fast and physical team. We have had our bad breaks this year with injuries and we continue to miss our opportunities with our youth. I think with a healthy O-line and ok maybe a QB like Ballenger we win against FSU and probably stay in the game vs Texass. Just not our year and I know this will sound like a cubs fan, but if we can stay healthy next year, look out! I still see us winning 7-8 this year. I think Kansas, Kansas state, A&M, ISU, and NU are very winnable games for us.

I'm pretty relaxed about the fact that the UT front 7 on defense was much, much better than anything our offense is prepared for. There are times when your team is simply out-classed.

What I am not relaxed about is the dumb mental errors. How many times does it look like our QB & RB's are on different pages? Freshman or not, if the players can't get the playbook down, replace them or dumb it down. If Josh Smith can't figure out how to hold onto the ball or when to take a freakin knee, then he needs to sit down for a bit.

I won't comment on FGs since I don't want to cry. :cry:

Well said, and I agree that we'll still win 7 or 8 games this year. The frustrating part aside from the injuries is the all the points left on the field in the WV, FSU, and first half of the UT games, but a big part of that is the youth. Once again, we all knew that 7-8 wins was the max given the schedule this year, it's not like we have a notre lame type schedule. They could win 9 or 10 games, which is a total facade.

Back