What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Peters and Akyazili Leaving (official)

Opportunity to bring in a JUCO guard who will transform the expectations for next season. Get on it, Tad!

Have to bring in a Juco or Grad transfer guard for next year with one of the available scholarships. Anything less will be a failure.

If startling doesn't get put on scholarship this could be good attrition, obviously depending on who tad brings in though.

Tad has a big task at hand. With Dom as the only PG on the roster, there has never been a time where recruiting has been so critical in his tenure at CU. Not only is this team missing a true C and quality PG (as well as PG depth) there was little leadership shown this year by the players who will be returning next season. A couple of big Juco signings could turn next season around. Realistically, Tad will have to rebuild and probably need to explain to RG why there is so much attrition in his program and a lack of solid recruiting going into year eight of running the program.

Tad has a big task at hand. With Dom as the only PG on the roster, there has never been a time where recruiting has been so critical in his tenure at CU. Not only is this team missing a true C and quality PG (as well as PG depth) there was little leadership shown this year by the players who will be returning next season. A couple of big Juco signings could turn next season around. Realistically, Tad will have to rebuild and probably need to explain to RG why there is so much attrition in his program and a lack of solid recruiting going into year eight of running the program.
I doubt he'll have to do the last part, given that this is the best class in CU history numbers wise, and has the potential to be even better, depending on who they add.
Also, and I don't mean for this last question to sound antagonistic, why is Tory Miller not a true center in your eyes?

Yes, the incoming class on paper looks good. But that has nothing to do with the large amount of departures and failures in recruiting over the past four seasons.

Tory Miller is listed at 6' 9" but is actually 6' 8". In Pac 12 play he saws limited minutes as the backup and is facing legitimate 7' 0" centers at UCLA, Arizona, Utah and is at a disadvantage against other schools like Oregon, Cal, etc... Miller is a serviceable PF but if a team is reliant on Miller for starter minutes at C, that team is at a disadvantage in the post.

Good for Thomas, he wasn't going to make the NBA and might as well make money at home. I'm kinda glad to see Peters gone. He was suspended double digit games for stupid stuff like missing study hall. I bet he goes somewhere where the coach isn't as strict. He was an off court issue we don't need.

Yes, the incoming class on paper looks good. But that has nothing to do with the large amount of departures and failures in recruiting over the past four seasons.

Tory Miller is listed at 6' 9" but is actually 6' 8". In Pac 12 play he saws limited minutes as the backup and is facing legitimate 7' 0" centers at UCLA, Arizona, Utah and is at a disadvantage against other schools like Oregon, Cal, etc... Miller is a serviceable PF but if a team is reliant on Miller for starter minutes at C, that team is at a disadvantage in the post.

Let me start by saying that I am a firm believer in starting legit 6'10+ at the 5 if the situation is right, but I have to completely disagree with your statement. Many teams in college basketball are highly competitive with starting 4/5's under 6'10. The Michigan State's of the world would highly disagree with you. There aren't enough talented seven footers to go around in college basketball. Why would Tad recruit a low-end seven footer to play against the rarities of UCLA, Zona, Utah? Why not recruit legit 6'8/6'9 big's who are athletic and can compete in the post?

Let me start by saying that I am a firm believer in starting legit 6'10+ at the 5 if the situation is right, but I have to completely disagree with your statement. Many teams in college basketball are highly competitive with starting 4/5's under 6'10. The Michigan State's of the world would highly disagree with you. There aren't enough talented seven footers to go around in college basketball. Why would Tad recruit a low-end seven footer to play against the rarities of UCLA, Zona, Utah? Why not recruit legit 6'8/6'9 big's who are athletic and can compete in the post?

I completely agree, but I don't think it's too difficult to find bigs 6'9/10" and up that will bang down low and provide some energy. True 7-footers with skill are hard to come by, but like you said, we don't need one of those. Just need to get some bangers in the post to cover on D and grab boards. Offense would be an extra luxury if they can provide it.

Good attrition by losing Akyazili. Disappointing to see Peters leave. He really flashed and could have been first or second team all PAC 12 as a junior/senior, in my eyes. Uphill battle to replace his potential.

Peters has all the potential in the world so I am bummed to see him go. Never the less I hope he learns to correct his off court ways and is a success in the future. Thomas is good attrition but he always acted with class and as a gentleman, whether he was getting minutes or not, whether he was having a bad game or now at his departure. One has to hope a guy like that succeeds in life.

Bummer about Peters, I wonder where he will land? We need some leaders on this team asap
Based on engagement from the bench, always joining the huddle, always talking with other players during pre-game shoot arounds and a conversation we had during the team signing event after a game last season, I have hopes that Namon Wright will become a leader.

I completely agree, but I don't think it's too difficult to find bigs 6'9/10" and up that will bang down low and provide some energy. True 7-footers with skill are hard to come by, but like you said, we don't need one of those. Just need to get some bangers in the post to cover on D and grab boards. Offense would be an extra luxury if they can provide it.

So you are saying you want Wes but with more fire?

So you are saying you want Wes but with more fire?
Wes was sort of exposed on defense this year without Josh Scott. We need a center who is lengthy, can block shots and rebound even if he brings nothing but putbacks on the offensive end.

I would be delighted for you to be right. It has not yet been proven, though.
I too would be delighted if @Medford M. is right, but the reports I have heard have been decidedly mixed. That might be expected for a guy who has had two knee surgeries and has missed a lot of on court time because of that knee. Definitely a guy who can really improve just by seeing time in the gym.

Zach Copeland and Malik Ondigo please!!!

Best of luck to Peters and Akyazili. Too bad Peters never got it together, cause if and when he does, he's going to be a beast. Oh well, on to the next one!!!

Zach Copeland and Malik Ondigo please!!!

Best of luck to Peters and Akyazili. Too bad Peters never got it together, cause if and when he does, he's going to be a beast. Oh well, on to the next one!!!
Those are my two biggest names on the wish list. I also like Darrington, too. Get me one JuCo scorer, at least, and I'll be happy

Back