What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Phile Steele's Toughest Schedule of 2011 - CU # 1

SEC east is not that great right now. Not a single one of them is a legit national title contender. Georgia plays most of their games at home, last I checked, CU is a good home teams, in fact CU just beat a SEC east team at home last year.

Basically it boils down like this

Boise ST: BSU would kill CU
South Carolina: The East's champion last year would proably win in Boulder
Coastal carolina: CU win
@ Ole Miss: Probable CU win
Miss st: CU loss
@ Tennessee: Wouldn't surprise me if CU won
@ Vandy: CU win
FLorida: CU loss, but hard to tell with Florida right now
New Mexico st: CU win
Auburn: CU win. AUburn is basically like UGA last year. They will take a huge step back.
Kentucky: CU win
@ Georgia Tech: CU loss
SEC East is not nearly as strong as the West, but Richt is on a very hot seat, if Georgia doesn't go to a bowl this year, he's gone. I think South Carolina is a good team, and Lattimore is one of the better running backs in college football. Florida is Florida - pencil in 8 or 9 wins, and Tennessee has a good young coach in Dooley, best facilities in football, and will do nothing but get better. I think CU could beat Kentucky and Vandy, but those other 4 teams would be tough going.

SEC East is not nearly as strong as the West, but Richt is on a very hot seat, if Georgia doesn't go to a bowl this year, he's gone. I think South Carolina is a good team, and Lattimore is one of the better running backs in college football. Florida is Florida - pencil in 8 or 9 wins, and Tennessee has a good young coach in Dooley, best facilities in football, and will do nothing but get better. I think CU could beat Kentucky and Vandy, but those other 4 teams would be tough going.

If I were UGA I would fire Richt if he didn't win 10 games with that schedule

We would win 6, maybe 7 games with UGA's schedule.

As for the SEC East, it will likely go to whoever wins in week 2 in Athens between USC and UGA. But the difference is UGA could still win the East if they lose that game, whereas USC almost certainly will not win the East if the lose that game because their conference schedule is tougher.

Tennessee has a good chance to win the East this year. As long as it's not South Carolina I'm fine with whomever wins the East.

South Carolina is actually better this season. If Clowney is as good as advertised (and early reports are very positive), the Cocks are going to win 10 games. And I think a Bama-South Carolina championship game would be very competitive.

South Carolina is actually better this season. If Clowney is as good as advertised (and early reports are very positive), the Cocks are going to win 10 games. And I think a Bama-South Carolina championship game would be very competitive.
South Carolina has never been under this much pressure to win though and I think that will take a toll and they'll drop a game or two they shouldn't (ie. Kentucky last year). Their OOC is really weak as well so that may help a little.

I'll go with South Carolina to win the East, but I sure as hell wouldn't put money on that. I think those of you picking the Cocks to win the SECCG are going a bit too far. Wouldn't be surprised if UGA bounced back and won the East, either. Coaches on the hot seat to the degree Richt is typically go up in flames, but the man is a very good coach in my eyes and I think he gets things together this year. Aside from UF in Jacksonville, they play 3 games outside of Georgia (Oxford, Knoxville, Nashville). You've got to like their chances

I'll go with South Carolina to win the East, but I sure as hell wouldn't put money on that. I think those of you picking the Cocks to win the SECCG are going a bit too far. Wouldn't be surprised if UGA bounced back and won the East, either. Coaches on the hot seat to the degree Richt is typically go up in flames, but the man is a very good coach in my eyes and I think he gets things together this year. Aside from UF in Jacksonville, they play 3 games outside of Georgia (Oxford, Knoxville, Nashville). You've got to like their chances

Yup, plus they get USC at home. But as I said earlier, UGA could even lose that game and still win the East because USC has to play at Arky and at MSU.

@tini - USC's non-conference schedule isn't all that weak, they have the Clemson game plus they play a neutral-site game against ECU which will be tough.

ECU went 6-7 in the CUSA, Scar will roll them. Clemson constantly under performs to.

ECU went 6-7 in the CUSA, Scar will roll them. Clemson constantly under performs to.

ECU is tougher than you think. Ask Virginia Tech - they fell victim in Charlotte a couple years ago. As for Clemson, they own the series against USC-East. It's only within the last two years that the tide has seemed to turn. I tend to think this will be Dabo's final year, but we'll see. It's not like Clem & Sons aren't used to underachieving, it's all they ever do.

ECU is never an easy win for the BCS teams in this area. They beat VT a few years ago at this same neutral site in a year that VT won the ACC. The Clemson game is a huge rivalry game and while USC has more top-level talent this year, these teams recruit the same level of players.

To me, ECU is where Virginia Tech was 15-20 years ago. Just hasn't gotten that chance to move up into the big leagues yet, but a very solid team capable of beating top teams. They've just expanded their stadium to 50k, they've got a great following. Certainly better than Duke, Wake and arguably UNC and NCSU's *football* fanbases.

Stephen Garcia. EOD.

It should be noted that Nebraska is nowhere on Steele's list. That school plays patsies like Troy, schedules the toughest games for home, then their people go around bragging about their great records.

It should be noted that Nebraska is nowhere on Steele's list. That school plays patsies like Troy, schedules the toughest games for home, then their people go around bragging about their great records.

Nebraska is nowhere near as bad as they used to be with this. Actually Nebraska's OOC scheduling the last few years is a modeling I would like to see CU do.

'11
cupcake: Chattanooga
mid major: Fresno ST
BCS program: Washington

'10
cupcake: WKU and South Dakota st
mid: Idaho
BCS: Washington

'09
cupcake: Fla Atl, Louisiana, Ark st
BCS: Virginia Tech

'08
cupcake: W mich, SJ st, NM st,
BCS:Virginia Tech

'07
cupcake: Nevada
BCS: Wake Forest and USC

cupcake: nichols st, troy, La Tech
BCS: USC

I can't believe that people are ripping Georgia's schedule. They play in the SEC and then scheduled both Boise State and Georgia Tech in the OOC.

If we had our choice of those two schedules, I'd confidently take BSU's and plan our bowl trip.

Georgia, Toledo, Tulsa, Nevada, Fresno State, CSU, Air Force, UNLV, TCU, SDSU, Wyoming, New Mexico

I can't believe that people are ripping Georgia's schedule. They play in the SEC and then scheduled both Boise State and Georgia Tech in the OOC.

If we had our choice of those two schedules, I'd confidently take BSU's and plan our bowl trip.

Georgia, Toledo, Tulsa, Nevada, Fresno State, CSU, Air Force, UNLV, TCU, SDSU, Wyoming, New Mexico

For an SEC schedule, Georgia's is easy. Just who they play, who they don't play and how it's set up. Hell they only play 3 total road games in conference play and they are all against teams that had losing records last year (Tenn, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt). They don't get the best teams in the SEC (Bama and LSU). 7 home games with 2 cupcakes (Coastal Carolina and NM st). They get Auburn at home, who will be way down this year as well. Florida in the cocktail bowl (FLorida is down), and G-Tech is a rivalry game played every year.

Auburns schedule lineup was very similar last year.

For an SEC schedule, Georgia's is easy. Just who they play, who they don't play and how it's set up. Hell they only play 3 total road games in conference play and they are all against teams that had losing records last year (Tenn, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt). They don't get the best teams in the SEC (Bama and LSU). 7 home games with 2 cupcakes (Coastal Carolina and NM st). They get Auburn at home, who will be way down this year as well. Florida in the cocktail bowl (FLorida is down), and G-Tech is a rivalry game played every year.

That's the qualifier that makes a comparison with BSU's schedule ridiculous. Tell me which of the SEC teams on their schedule would absolutely not be playing in a bowl game if they had a MWC schedule.

That's the qualifier that makes a comparison with BSU's schedule ridiculous. Tell me which of the SEC teams on their schedule would absolutely not be playing in a bowl game if they had a MWC schedule.

Georgia, AFA and TCU are all legit.
Nevada, Fresno st and SD st are all good teams too.

I really don't think Boise's is as easy as some are saying.

And for the record, I still think Georgia's schedule is harder than Boise's.

My main arguments are

1. Georgia has a easy SEC schedule (for an SEC team)
2. Boise's schedule is not as easy as some think

Georgia, AFA and TCU are all legit.
Nevada, Fresno st and SD st are all good teams too.

I really don't think Boise's is as easy as some are saying.

I don't think it's easy. I think a pretty good team should win 8 or 9 games and a great team would only be challenged a couple times on its way to 11 or 12 wins.

Tennessee has a good chance to win the East this year. As long as it's not South Carolina I'm fine with whomever wins the East.

There's only one team that 'tini doesn't root for in college football. **** South Caroline!

So? They win and get have a great national perception. I'm not defending NU, but people look at records, not who they played in 1994 or 1962.

Back