What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Philosophical problem with Hawk's coaching methods...

canbuff

Here's a quote from Hawk during his press conference after the game....

"When you're inside the offices, we're trying to get the top 22 guys on the field. Not only get the starters on the field, but trying to create roles for everybody else, and trying to manage that whole concept of being a part of something really special. There is no way one guy or I will overrule anybody on our offensive staff, they all come to consensus on who the starter is, it's the same as last year."

The guy is trying to pigeon hole every player into a certain role that I think it really limits the abilities of all the players. Football is football man...leave your top players on the field the VAST majority of the time and you will get some cohesion. Running guys in and out for specific plays sounds good in theory but very rarely works well in practice. Leave Scott, Simmons, Geer, Jefferson and McKnight in for most of the game and I think they will find that the offence finds an identity and runs more smoothly.

that is why they have JV and the freshmen team in high school, you put your best players out their.....

The guy is trying to pigeon hole every player into a certain role that I think it really limits the abilities of all the players.

Not only that, but It says "Joe Blow is in, the Buffs are going to run this play." ...really clever. :rolleyes:

Not only that, but It says "Joe Blow is in, the Buffs are going to run this play." ...really clever. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Certainly the opposing defensive coaches start to figure out what plays are coming when specific player groups are sent in. This has been going on for how long? Does anyone know of any successful offense that does this to the extent that Colorado's offense does it?

Stupid is as stupid does.

"When you're inside the offices, we're trying to get the top 22 guys on the field. Not only get the starters on the field, but trying to create roles for everybody else, and trying to manage that whole concept of being a part of something really special. There is no way one guy or I will overrule anybody on our offensive staff, they all come to consensus on who the starter is, it's the same as last year."

The guy is trying to pigeon hole every player into a certain role that I think it really limits the abilities of all the players. Football is football man...leave your top players on the field the VAST majority of the time and you will get some cohesion. Running guys in and out for specific plays sounds good in theory but very rarely works well in practice. Leave Scott, Simmons, Geer, Jefferson and McKnight in for most of the game and I think they will find that the offence finds an identity and runs more smoothly.

Definitely agree with this. I don't like the constant rotating in and out. Pick your guy and roll with him until he either loses the job or his back-up wins it. But the back and forth I think is tough.

Thats true to a degree. When you have a lot of weapons, say like an FSU or Miami, subbing a lot of different guys (that are capable) causes confusion and hopefully favorable mismatches on defense.

Unfortunately for us CSU was able to handle whatever we put on the field. I'd say that for the time being we should return to a more traditional scheme.

The bullschit this guy throws out there is amazing. No one want to hear any of that crap anymore, they want W's and they want a fired up coach who is passionate about constantly improving the team, AND admits it when he's wrong.

everyone gets a juicebox and a trophy! yay us! :smile2:
He's the f-in posterchild of the feminization of America, where all the matters is that we had fun and participated and practice good ol fashioned sportmanship. Who f-in enjoys winning anyways, it always makes the loser feel bad. :rolleyes:

:bang:

quotes like that make me want Hawk fired NOW -
I don't see how Colorado will ever become a great team doing that.
I'm out of patience.:sad1:

He sounds like a communist...

I have no problem with Hawk's desire to get everybody involved in the game. I think it's probably good for team morale if everybody is contributing.

But I think the way to do it is the way guys like Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll do it - drop 60 on your opponent in the first half, then everybody gets to play in the second half. Trying to get everybody involved in a game plan so cobbled up that it doesn't work is really not the best way to go... :smile2:

I have no problem with Hawk's desire to get everybody involved in the game. I think it's probably good for team morale if everybody is contributing.

But I think the way to do it is the way guys like Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll do it - drop 60 on your opponent in the first half, then everybody gets to play in the second half. Trying to get everybody involved in a game plan so cobbled up that it doesn't work is really not the best way to go... :smile2:

Hmm, that would be a better solute that would be a win-win for everyone, except for our opponents. Maybe that's why Hack isnt taking that approach.

Back