What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pick CU's Recruiting Territories

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
If you're the CU Head Football Coach, you face a significant challenge of being in the middle of what's known as the "5 Star Desert" where you simply don't see many blue chips.

From 2017:
1666827854177.jpeg

In your favor, tthe State of Colorado is a highly regarded location and you can draw talent here from anywhere. But with limited resources and bandwidth you can't be everywhere. Recruiting has to be organized and driven by strategically geo-targeting your efforts where the HS football talent is concentrated.

Here's a "heat map" of where D1 FB players come from:

1666827732931.jpeg

Assuming that as HC you wouldn't be a fvcking idot and you'd expect all of your 10 assistants to recruit, how would you lay it out for CU?

You could have some who only recruit 1 metro or state, but maybe you'd have some assistants with multiple geo-targets if you didn't want to throw everything into places like Los Angeles.

What are your 10 geo-targeted recruiting territories?

STAY IN P12:

Texas - All of it. Fine tooth comb. If there’s a kid in complete buttf*** nowhere who got his speed by running from his drunk dad with only tumbleweeds to witness….. my staff will know.

California - Less emphasis on California compared to Texas, but a very clear #2.

Mormons/Islands - No coffee, Coke, or handjobs on these recruiting trips. If we’re stuck in a west coast conference, then we’re going to hit the Utah/Island pipeline hard

JOIN BIG12:

Texas
Arizona
Kansas/Oklahoma
California

1. Dallas
2. Houston
3. Austin/San Antonio + OKC/Tulsa
4. Los Angeles
5. San Diego/Inland Empire + Phoenix
6. Bay Area/Sacramento/Central Valley
7. Colorado
8. Utah + Las Vegas + Hawaii
9. Louisiana + East Texas
10. National + Transfer Portal + JUCO

Why doesn’t the map include Germany, Austria, Mexico and Australia?

1. Dallas
2. Houston
4. Los Angeles
7. Colorado
And why is this even a point of conversation?

1. Dallas
2. Houston
4. Los Angeles
7. Colorado
Yeah, pretty much this and I would add GA. A lot of direct flights from ATL to DEN and it’s really not a bad flight. I think that area is worth making a priority more than just being included in “National”.

How would you allocate coaches? For me, every coach recruits TX, SoCal and Colorado (IMO, Colorado is easy to recruit, logistically, and I think high school coaches here need to feel the love and presence of CU again - But mainly Creek, Valor and a handful of other schools). After that, it’s spot duty in NorCal, Louisiana, Utah, OK, and GA.

Contrarian idea:

I'd assign an assistant coach to Minneapolis/St Paul and Southeast Wisconsin. Both states only have one P5 school and no G5s. Lotta linemen and RBs up there and CU can't seem to keep any of the local Colorado OL recruits home lately.

Recruiting is going to be an uphill grind for a couple of years and TX and CA are highly competitive. TX and CA should still be CU's main focus but I'd stick the metro areas of MN and WI in the middle of the list somewhere. Colorado might be seen as kind of a cool landing place by some Great Lakes states guys and while CU won't get the top guys from there, it likely won't be in the mix for top guys from anywhere for a while. Just a thought.

Yeah, pretty much this and I would add GA. A lot of direct flights from ATL to DEN and it’s really not a bad flight. I think that area is worth making a priority more than just being included in “National”.

How would you allocate coaches? For me, every coach recruits TX, SoCal and Colorado (IMO, Colorado is easy to recruit, logistically, and I think high school coaches here need to feel the love and presence of CU again - But mainly Creek, Valor and a handful of other schools). After that, it’s spot duty in NorCal, Louisiana, Utah, OK, and GA.
I'm saying 1 coach owns each of these and then would travel outside it for his position group.

I was really tempted on Georgia, but that's where things start getting spread too thin. Because also Florida. And Chicagoland. And Ohio. And Baltimore/DC. And Philly/NJ. So I went with trying to stay in a footprint bracketed the MTZ and focused mostly to the south of us.

what we really need is a coach fredo to be in charge of entertainment on recruiting visits.

that could fix EVERYTHING in a hurry.

i like @Buffnik 's footprint-- it is pretty close to what has worked here before.

of course, we won't be curing cancer any time soon. so that needs to be a consideration.

if however any of the targeted players has an ivy offer then they are in our sweet spot.

1. Dallas
2. Houston
4. Los Angeles
7. Colorado
Agree with the top part.

More emphasis on Hawaii, forget Vegas. Yes I know there is talent there, it doesn't come here, waste of time
Depending on who you get as assistants agree with the Yak, Georgia has tons of talent (as does Florida.) If you have a coach with connections there they will come. Added bonus is that it puts Colorado into the discussion when these kids transfer.

Back