What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game Thread: Pioneers @ Buffs 11/14 @ 7 PM on P12 Network

PAC MAN

Tekken Masher.
Club Member
Tomorrow night at 7PM on the P12N.

Will another article come out shortly about how nervous Boyle is about this game like he was against UNC since they nearly beat that school from Ft. Collins in an exhibition?

What is everyone looking for from the Buffs in this game?

I'm not one of the hoops board regulars, but in what most people are saying could be a season of growing pains, I find myself just looking for a win from the Buffs.

I'm not one of the hoops board regulars, but in what most people are saying could be a season of growing pains, I find myself just looking for a win from the Buffs.
Exactly. I hope to see growth and more consistency as the season progresses, but a win is a win in the early going with the lack of experience on this roster. For this game, hoping for at least 60% from the line and making a few more open 3's. In addition, the effort on the glass better be more like the last 10 minutes of the UNC game, and not like the first 30 minutes.

DU lost to UC-Irvine last night @home by 14. Game wasn't really in doubt in the 2nd half. I believe tomorrow is Ricardo Patton's first trip to the Keg since his last game as CU head coach.

I want to see them attack the basket more while controlling the defense glass like they did when they took over the game in the 2nd half.

Beyond that, I want to see us move closer to figuring out rotations. I'm ok with playing 10-12 at this point in the season, but there need to be a core of guys who are playing 25+ minutes and generally on the court together.

DU lost to UC-Irvine last night @home by 14. Game wasn't really in doubt in the 2nd half. I believe tomorrow is Ricardo Patton's first trip to the Keg since his last game as CU head coach.

Didn't realize Patton is part of the DU staff. His wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Patton

Looking back, it appears that he didn't do too badly as coach of the Buffs in a more difficult basketball conference than the one the Buffs play in. He did that without a dedicated practice facility that CU has today.

I want to see less standing around with good movement and us getting to the rim. Our half court offense needs to get better shots.

I want to see less standing around with good movement and us getting to the rim. Our half court offense needs to get better shots.

I think as the season goes on you'll be happier. Having a freshman PG - with no one to mentor him (a la Nate with The Mayor) - is going to lead to some nights of maddening offense with a gradual progression overall.

Lots of local guys on the coaching staff and the roster for Denver - love to see that. If DU could get that team playing fun bball, it will be a great program to root for.
We might see more Dallas Walton in this game. DU is bigger than UNC

I think as the season goes on you'll be happier. Having a freshman PG - with no one to mentor him (a la Nate with The Mayor) - is going to lead to some nights of maddening offense with a gradual progression overall.
Yeah. I’d certainly hope so, given our youth.

Didn't realize Patton is part of the DU staff. His wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Patton

Looking back, it appears that he didn't do too badly as coach of the Buffs in a more difficult basketball conference than the one the Buffs play in. He did that without a dedicated practice facility that CU has today.
Well, if you schedule 10 total cupcakes in the non-conference every season it's easy to inflate the record.

Yeah Nik. Stop. Some of those cupcakes beat us.

Yeah, I mean Patton only had 1 win in the Tourney, what a los..... oh wait.

and Boyle has only lost to CSU twice in Boulder compared to Patton's..... damn it. I mean it was 1 loss with his worst team during a lame duck season, but hey who's counting.

And Patton could actually beat Wyoming, in Laramie even.

Well, if you schedule 10 total cupcakes in the non-conference every season it's easy to inflate the record.

I don't put much stock into OOC scheduling in both MBB and football these days...doing well in conference play is what counts to me.

In fairness to @Scotch he has consistently defended Patton. This isn't some revisionist thing with him where he looked at the record in a database and decided that Patton was pretty good.

Thanks Nik.

There was certainly plenty to criticise during the Patton era, and I did. But then again the same can be said of Boyle, and I will. Boyle had significantly more support and better facilities that Patton could've only wished for. Patton did well in Boulder all things considered.

Thanks Nik.

There was certainly plenty to criticise during the Patton era, and I did. But then again the same can be said of Boyle, and I will. Boyle had significantly more support and better facilities that Patton could've only wished for. Patton did well in Boulder all things considered.
Without Patton, Chauncey probably never comes to Boulder. And that is fact!!!

Thanks Nik.

My opinion was that Patton did very little with a lot (Talent wise), where Tad has done a lot with a lot less.

Patton was a great recruiter, and in the end, that is what matters in college basketball. Would be interesting to see what Patton could have done with the support of the school. Also would be interesting with what Tad could do with the talent that was on Richardo's teams.

In the end, I think they are polar opposite coaches, and if you could somehow put them together it would make a great coach.

Regarding tonight's game, I think it's cool to have Patton and Rodney back in the building.

Excited to go to the Keg tonight.

My opinion was that Patton did very little with a lot (Talent wise), where Tad has done a lot with a lot less.

Patton was a great recruiter, and in the end, that is what matters in college basketball. Would be interesting to see what Patton could have done with the support of the school. Also would be interesting with what Tad could do with the talent that was on Richardo's teams.

In the end, I think they are polar opposite coaches, and if you could somehow put them together it would make a great coach.

Boyle hasn't landed a recruit on Chauncey or Harrison's level yet, but overall his recruiting has been better than Patton's. But once again, his support was better to. Boyle is definitely the better gameday coach, that is big the difference imo.

Regarding tonight's game, I think it's cool to have Patton and Rodney back in the building.

Excited to go to the Keg tonight.

It'd be great to see Rodney build something at DU. The run the Pio's made his senior year was fun.

Boyle hasn't landed a recruit on Chauncey or Harrison's level yet, but overall his recruiting has been better than Patton's. But once again, his support was better to. Boyle is definitely the better gameday coach, that is big the difference imo.
Interesting debate, but without any backup on stats, I felt that Patton's teams were more talented, they just couldn't put it together on the court. That is by the eyeball test only.

My other impression was that Patton would take the most talented guys he could find, then would work to make them be good guys (students, teammates, members of society, etc), where Tad recruited a good guys to start. But as we saw, when there was a bit of a locker room issue, Tad had a difficult time addressing it. Again, not saying one is better than the other, but different. It was also a very different landscape at the time.

As drastically different their basketball teams were, I get a feeling that they would get a long very well as what I would refer to two coaches with high morals.

Interesting debate, but without any backup on stats, I felt that Patton's teams were more talented, they just couldn't put it together on the court. That is by the eyeball test only.

My other impression was that Patton would take the most talented guys he could find, then would work to make them be good guys (students, teammates, members of society, etc), where Tad recruited a good guys to start. But as we saw, when there was a bit of a locker room issue, Tad had a difficult time addressing it. Again, not saying one is better than the other, but different. It was also a very different landscape at the time.

As drastically different their basketball teams were, I get a feeling that they would get a long very well as what I would refer to two coaches with high morals.
I agree. I think the two of them would consider themselves peers beyond just their job titles.

And while no one will ever mistake me as a fan of Patton's coaching, I absolutely believe that CU and Bohn did him wrong and handled the situation about as horribly as possible.

I agree. I think the two of them would consider themselves peers beyond just their job titles.

And while no one will ever mistake me as a fan of Patton's coaching, I absolutely believe that CU and Bohn did him wrong and handled the situation about as horribly as possible.

Completely agree

Back