What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Plati Semi-Retirement

Like it or not but he seemed to be the only thing that kept us semi relevant with the national media folks who all seemed to like him.

yes, *I* realise that semi relevance can also be attained by having at least a remote interest in your football team not being absolute dog ****

What the hell is a semichub? Either you've got a chub or you don't.
0de5e4e7-6785-452b-b1e7-2c9ebd106427_text.gif

Good Luck to Dave. A really good guy and someone who loves the Buffs. He gets a really bad rap from posters on Allbuffs because they have no idea what his job is. He is not in charge of social media, the website, or marketing - that is not even in the SID department. Most of that is under the digital database and marketing department. There are probably over 200 people in the AD besides coaches. Dave's job is to interface between the athletic department and the media for Football, Mens Golf and Skiing - that is it. And most people in the media will tell you they respect the hell out of Dave Plati because he is a real pro at his job. I think a majority of former athletes will tell you they really like Plati because he does try to keep in touch with them and he has helped several get started in broadcasting and sports media.

Yes Dave is not good at counting blue Tee shirts (what did you really expect him to say). Gary Barnett who I really respect, has nothing but good things to say about Dave. He is a very easy guy to work with and I have never found him to be a control freak. Yes Dave struggles with his weight - I guess that is a good reason to hate him. I could tell you dozens of stories of how Dave goes above and beyond for former athletes. He has always responded to every email or phone call I have made to him. I have sat down with him and enjoyed his stories behind the scenes over the years. Whenever I have requested a favor he has come through with it.

I consider Dave a friend and I know him to be a one of the really good guys. I don't rebut some ridiculous statements about him from people on this board, as I know that is a waste of time. But CU athletics is better off having had Dave Plati as SID over the years.

Like it or not but he seemed to be the only thing that kept us semi relevant with the national media folks who all seemed to like him.

yes, *I* realise that semi relevance can also be attained by having at least a remote interest in your football team not being absolute dog ****

One of the most comprehensive media guides in all of college football
Always had a great human interest story about some player and facilitated interviews/access.
Ran a fantastic press box environment providing unique interesting snd occasionally quirky real time stats.
Press box food was excellent. Plati seemed to be always accessible during games.

Yes, he was gruff with a lot of people. But he was better than some Pro team SIDs and a almost all the other college SIDs I visited

Semi-retirement.

Almost guarantee that means he will be around on donut days, buffet days, etc.

This is good though. It will give him time to try to catch up a little on technology. First priority is to make the transition from VHS to DVD.
You spelled rabbit ears wrong.

Always had a great human interest story about some player and facilitated interviews/access.
Ran a fantastic press box environment providing unique interesting snd occasionally quirky real time stats.
Press box food was excellent. Plati seemed to be always accessible during games.

Yes, he was gruff with a lot of people. But he was better than some Pro team SIDs and a almost all the other college SIDs I visited
You dickriding horrible people is so weird.

You dickriding horrible people is so weird.
Im not sure what you mean.

I didnt always like him but I did respect him. He was rough on me more than once. Other times he was extremely helpful. Mercurial. I didnt have a choice but to deal with him.

The press boxes at Michigan, Michigan State, Texas, Air Force were far less well attentive or detailed. We ate roast beef at CU and hot dogs at the others.

Saccomano at The Broncos was about the closest to Plati.

What I speak of was a long long tome ago.

Im not sure what you mean.

I didnt always like him but I did respect him. He was rough on me more than once. Other times he was extremely helpful. Mercurial. I didnt have a choice but to deal with him.

The press boxes at Michigan, Michigan State, Texas, Air Force were far less well attentive or detailed. We ate roast beef at CU and hot dogs at the others.

Saccomano at The Broncos was about the closest to Plati.

What I speak of was a long long tome ago.
He was once decent at his job but not a good human. He got worse at his job and is still a royal jerk. This just reminds me of you white knighting Limo Larry. Just strikes me as weird…

Yeah - he firmly believed the only audience that mattered was the traditional media. They were treated very well, and CU definitely benefited from that.

However, his disdain for new media and dismissiveness towards fans has seriously harmed the university he loves.

Both can be true.

CU has a lot of employees that have hung around for three decades and presided over a general decline within the university, both academically and athletically. Plati is just another example of institutional rot within the organization and lack of any accountability.

One of the most comprehensive media guides in all of college football ++++ I hope its the media guide he keeps working on

Back