What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Play calling on Offense

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I think that there are 2 issues that severely limit what Lindgren can do:

1. P-Rich is the only player opponents have to scheme to stop.
2. The base plays aren't netting us much.

I'm not sure much can be done about #1, but #2 has to get fixed. The foundation of an offense is an inside run, an outside run, play action off those looks, and a basic 3 receiver route with someone going deep, someone going intermediate and someone going short -- and the option routes (wheels, screens, etc that come off that base route tree).

When the base plays don't work, you can't set the defense up for the other stuff in the play book. A great example from last night was when the reverse pass was easily defended. The defense isn't having to adjust & overcompensate from its base assignments. We're not having enough success from our base offense to put them on their heels and off balance.

I think this is an OL issue but also a general problem of very few guys being able to win one-on-one matchups versus PAC-12 talent. Lindgren is handcuffed. EB was last year. I think we need some JUCOs in the upcoming recruiting class. TE, 2 OLs and probably a WR.

I'm not sure there's an answer this year except to get incremental improvement day by day to at least become as sound as possible on assignment and technique.

Agreed, but where are all the quick hitting routes that we saw at SJSU? Why aren't we trying to get DD the ball more in space?

Two other issues I see:

1. We lack a physical presence at WR and TE. This allows opposing secondaries to play aggressive the entire game, including most downs and distances. More physical play at WR and TE would soften up the defense. As it is, we have a bunch of undersized guys with average speed. Gotta change at least one of those things.

2. Plays that should go for 20+ are going 10-15 at the most because teams don't have to defend the entire field. The entire difference between the two offenses last night was what happened when players reached the second level. Zona is breaking off explosive. We are getting first downs or setting up second and shorts.

Agreed, but where are all the quick hitting routes that we saw at SJSU? Why aren't we trying to get DD the ball more in space?

I agree with Tini on both points. Where are the screens to dd?

As to our offense, and in general, we would be 6-6 (maybe, at best) in the MWC, and 7-5 or 8-4 (maybe, at best) in the Big Sky. Not being dramatic or figurative, just accurate. Buff fans need to stop all the hand-wringing and hyperventilating, (not saying this is going on in this thread) and just settle in for 3 years of hopeful viewing. See how it goes. This HC is worlds above the last two, but he has no roster. Sefo, Adkins, Awuzie, Gillam and such will develop, but they are few and far between. Keep an interest in hoops and XC, and go to a few football games when the weather is nice and you need to get out of Denver for a day. I will go to 3 games a year until things get better. CU's "management" has earned nothing more. :huh:

I'm not sure DD is all that great in space anyway. Good straight line speed, but not particularly elusive.

As to our offense, and in general, we would be 6-6 (maybe, at best) in the MWC, and 7-5 or 8-4 (maybe, at best) in the Big Sky. Not being dramatic or figurative, just accurate. Buff fans need to stop all the hand-wringing and hyperventilating, (not saying this is going on in this thread) and just settle in for 3 years of hopeful viewing. See how it goes. This HC is worlds above the last two, but he has no roster. Sefo, Adkins, Awuzie, Gillam and such will develop, but they are few and far between. Keep an interest in hoops and XC, and go to a few football games when the weather is nice and you need to get out of Denver for a day. I will go to 3 games a year until things get better. CU's "management" has earned nothing more. :huh:
Lulz

I'm not sure DD is all that great in space anyway. Good straight line speed, but not particularly elusive.

Agree - good straight line speed. I'll take that. Looked like a P12 football player sneaked onto the field wearing a CU uni. Pretty green otherwise.

Back