What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Please present an argument for Embree over EB

Jimmy, you need to move on. You are never happy. Embree is a good coach and good recruiter. We are gonna get both and this could work out. !

We'll see. I'm done talking about Embree because I don't like how people are trying to portray me as someone that is anti-Buff for not supporting him.

At least wait and see who the staff is. If EB is there and he puts a good/great staff together I think you'll come around. I hope so, b/c that means we'll be winning. I think he and EB will land us a couple playmakers before signing day too.

We'll see. I'm done talking about Embree because I don't like how people are trying to portray me as someone that is anti-Buff for not supporting him.

Staff will determine my support for Embree. I see potential. So far, thats all he is.

I'm not trying to portray you as anti-Buff, I'm just trying to understand why you think EB is such a home run while JE is such a bad choice as HC. To me, they're very similar.

I'm not trying to portray you as anti-Buff, I'm just trying to understand why you think EB is such a home run while JE is such a bad choice as HC. To me, they're very similar.

That's what I see too. Their resumes are virtually identical. CU assistants, UCLA assistants (JE had a little more responsibility there), NFL assistant coaches. EB supporters love to point at AD as proof of what a great coach EB is, as if AD sucked at Oklahoma. EB is acknowledged as a great recruiter, while JE has an impressive track record there as well that gets no credit from the EB crowd. The main difference is personality, and the EB cult seems to be built largely on the fact that he's "fiery", as if that is a prerequisite for being a successful HC...

I honestly can't see where the difference is that makes some of the EB supporters want to tear apart the hiring of another buff this badly...

Who gives a **** how anyone here portrays you, you don't like the hire voice it. T he same people who went gaga over hawk are the same who are having a RON JEREMY CLIMAX over embree.

I don't like the hire but I want to see what staff he brings in. You and I are buffs no matter what, so if anyone doesn't approve of our opinion on the matter so be it,but give a damn about how I'll be portrayed? **** that.

Regardless of staff, he should have your support until proven otherwise on the field. He needs to start with support.

After hawk, you'd think people would be cautious. I guess if you don't like the hire or the staff you're not a buff supporter in your eyes.

Don't think I'll let you determine who's a buff fan or not.

Regardless of staff, he should have your support until proven otherwise on the field. He needs to start with support.

Nope. Did that with Hawk. This is a high risk hire. I aint buying in until I see what he assembles. Lesson learned.

Nope. Did that with Hawk. This is a high risk hire. I aint buying in until I see what he assembles. Lesson learned.

Which is what i'm saying. This is a crucial hire and if he doesn't have a decent staff, it could get ugly again. The whole point of this was to get the right coach and STAFF.

After hawk, you'd think people would be cautious. I guess if you don't like the hire or the staff you're not a buff supporter in your eyes.

Don't think I'll let you determine who's a buff fan or not.

I realize that hiring a great staff is key. But he needs support. If he loses games, then ya get on him. But don't start off bashing him or his staff until results in the field. Because you don't know.

Which is what i'm saying. This is a crucial hire and if he doesn't have a decent staff, it could get ugly again. The whole point of this was to get the right coach and STAFF.

And maybe that will happen. Embree is certainly qualified. He is a well respected coach and I believe he can get a good staff including EB.

Agreed Junc, they're so similar it's hilarious that people love one and hate the other.

Recruiting: Got to give it to EB, but it's not like JE is a slouch.

Coaching: Not really sure, both have recruited and coached some very good players. Embree has more coaching experience than EB, EB has more a professional reputation since he played in the NFL for quite awhile.

Organization: JE no doubt. He runs that Buffs4Life thing, what has EB ever done that is similar?

Personality: Ok, EB is more "fiery". He is also pretty polarizing. JE may be the "safe" pick of the two, but is that so bad? JE won't be causing huge problems by calling Marcus Houston "Markeesha". A lot of people on this board seem to be anti-PC, but that stuff does count for something.

*Speculation* I'd also like to add that it sounds like EB has a bit of an ego. From EB apparently declaring he didn't want to be a coach in waiting under Mac, to EB apparently telling JE he'd be his OC, and now he's not sure of that? Maybe it's all BS, but I'm not liking that kind of selfish stuff. We saw enough of that with Hawk.

I realize that hiring a great staff is key. But he needs support. If he loses games, then ya get on him. But don't start off bashing him or his staff until results in the field. Because you don't know.

Support will come when I see the staff. With hiring embree, a guy on nobody's list or radar a few days ago, you damn well better have a great staff, if not, what in the hell was the search party for? More mediocrity?

I'll pipe down, I want to see the staff. I also want Bohn gone.

Support will come when I see the staff. With hiring embree, a guy on nobody's list or radar a few days ago, you damn well better have a great staff, if not, what in the hell was the search party for? More mediocrity?

I'll pipe down, I want to see the staff. I also want Bohn gone.

Embree has not been on anybodies radar for a few days.

That's what I see too. Their resumes are virtually identical. CU assistants, UCLA assistants (JE had a little more responsibility there), NFL assistant coaches. EB supporters love to point at AD as proof of what a great coach EB is, as if AD sucked at Oklahoma. EB is acknowledged as a great recruiter, while JE has an impressive track record there as well that gets no credit from the EB crowd. The main difference is personality, and the EB cult seems to be built largely on the fact that he's "fiery", as if that is a prerequisite for being a successful HC...

I honestly can't see where the difference is that makes some of the EB supporters want to tear apart the hiring of another buff this badly...

I just think the EB addition to the Barnett staff had such a huge impact on the team during 2001 and 2002 seasons and the program overall that its hard for me to ignore. That's why I have him over Embree but I will acknowledge EB isn't a 100% home run and has some holes in his resume. Still I was just willingly to take the risk on EB than someone else with a similar resume because I believe he has a high upside.

Last edited:
no reason to portray the hire as a failure before any football has been played. nearly everyone was virtual-fellating one another over the "homerun" hire hawkins last time around. he turned out to be the worst hc in CU history.

embree has experience. he knows the school. he knows the environment. he's doing his best (with clear CU $$$ support) to put together a big league staff. he's already light-years ahead of hawkins and the boise boys. there aren't a lot of junior leaguers on the staff candidate list this time, with or without eb. i'd prefer with, of course.

the proof is on the field. let's get this sealed so they can start recruiting.

Embree has not been on anybodies radar for a few days.

As far as qualifications for a coach go, whether or not they've been on the radar of internet fandom, and for how long, is somewhere around # 1,304,467,893,209 on my list...

*Speculation* I'd also like to add that it sounds like EB has a bit of an ego. From EB apparently declaring he didn't want to be a coach in waiting under Mac, to EB apparently telling JE he'd be his OC, and now he's not sure of that? Maybe it's all BS, but I'm not liking that kind of selfish stuff. We saw enough of that with Hawk.

Name me a great coach that doesn't have a huge ego.

I just think the EB addition to the Barnett staff had such a huge impact on the team during 2001 and 2002 seasons and the program overall that its hard for me to ignore. That's why I have him over Embree but I will acknowledge EB isn't a 100% home run and has some holes in his resume. Still I was just willingly to take the risk on EB than someone else with a similar resume because of his high upside.

Thats the thing I am trying to drill into all the doubters heads about this hire. ANYBODY is a risk! We have tried the home run big name hire multiple times in the past, it didn't work. Embree could be a flop, EB could have been a flop, Miles could have been a flop etc.

With Embree and Bieniemy they have passion for the program that we have never had from a coach from the get go. That alone is huge. They are well respected, great coaches with lots of experience in college and NFL and great recruiters. With both of them (and I believe EB will come), this could be a huge boost for this once proud program.

Name me a great coach that doesn't have a huge ego.

I suppose it's not so much ego, as much as it is that the guy apparently told a good friend of his that he'd be his OC and is now backing off from that? That sucks, great coach or not. Like I said, it's speculation, so who knows if EB is really doing that. I'm just saying, I don't like that in my HC if true.

For those of you against the Embree hire or skeptical of it, that's not the issue at all. Especially if you say that you'll rally for him.

It's the hyperbole and bashing of Embree that's gotten people upset. Embree deserves better than that and I think we can all be better than that.

For those of you against the Embree hire or skeptical of it, that's not the issue at all. Especially if you say that you'll rally for him.

It's the hyperbole and bashing of Embree that's gotten people upset. Embree deserves better than that and I think we can all be better than that.

Thank you!

We will have plenty of opportunities to bitch about the HC. Now is the time to get behind JE and hopefully EB. Shoulder to shoulder. Go Buffs

On the recruiting front, assistant coaches do far more recruiting than head coaches do. That means we'd get more bang out of having Bienemy as a coordinator doing the recruiting than the head guy.

I just think the EB addition to the Barnett staff had such a huge impact on the team during 2001 and 2002 seasons and the program overall that its hard for me to ignore. That's why I have him over Embree but I will acknowledge EB isn't a 100% home run and has some holes in his resume. Still I was just willingly to take the risk on EB than someone else with a similar resume because I believe he has a high upside.

And right here is the first time in this thread that anyone offered anything of substance as to why they would be so upset as to the hiring of Embree (even calling it embarrassing and outrageous) when they would not only be okay with an EB hire, but fully in support of an EB hire.

The facts are clear, the two candidates are both risky in the sense they don't have coordinator or head coaching experience. They are both risky in the fact that CU is the only place looking at them as HC candidates right now.

However, the facts are also clear that their resumes are strikingly similar. They are both well respected, both have NFL and college coaching experiences, and both have support from prominent people inside and outside of the University. The only differences that seem to pop up are that Embree may be a better coach and more organized while EB may be a better recruiter and more outwardly passionate. It's absolutely beyond me how in the world choosing one over the other could lead to the polar opposite conclusions of, on the one hand, home run! sure fire! only correct hire! v. on the other hand, embarrassing! outrageous! Mike Bohn should be hung in the town square with meat strung to his balls while lions are released to finish him off!

Back