What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pletcher Finds His Calling, Off To Sochi

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
SOCHI, Russia -- In 2011, Reid Pletcher had it all.

He had just won an NCAA national title in men’s classical cross-country skiing for the University of Colorado, becoming just the third American-born athlete to do so. CU took the team title, too, thanks in large part to Pletcher’s impressive performance.

A college junior at the time, Pletcher’s dream was to take his talent to the highest level – the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games.

But just two months later, that dream was put on pause.

On May 26, 2011, Pletcher finished his last exam before summer break. To celebrate, he went rock climbing with some friends in Boulder Canyon.

“We were on our way back to the car and I saw one last route that I had wanted to do for years,” Pletcher said. “So I decided to do it. The last thing I remember was tying into the rope and getting ready to go.”

Pletcher took a hard, 25-foot fall, ripping the bolts he had placed for protection out of the rock on the way down.

Read more...

Great article. I remember when he fell, but I didn't know the story since. Thanks for bringing attention to this.

Back