What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Poll of the day 8/17

Can the buffs win 10 games?

• Total voters
Not worth discussing this further, but you really are not understanding why we're having trouble attracting the talent we need. I look forward to posts this Fall when we're 8-4 and you worrying that we might need to turn a bowl bid down.

I understand clearly why CU has trouble bringing talent in. You do not. Lets get big picture here....

In no particular order

1. There is no recruiting hotbed within 500 miles of boulder Co. (Biggest and unsolvable problem)

2. The surrounding community cares more about the Broncos

3. CU Boulder does have a stigma of not being black folk friendly in some circles.

4. The Big 12 brought legitimacy to the all the schools that make up the B!2 south - which basically dried up the Texas pipeline

5. The rise of USC, Oregon, and now UCLA - Which is basically drying up the california pipeline.

6. The rise of the SEC which has made it difficult to pull good players from that region.

7. We haven't even talked about the lasting effects of the recruiting scandal

8. Facilities are not competitive

9. Admissions can be tough

10. CU is not a traditional power

The Buffs biggest problem, BB et al, is that there is no ready made recruiting area nearby. Look at rivals. The star system drops to 2 stars around the 9th player. In Ohio, they're just starting with the 4 star guys around 9. I live in Ohio and all these kids grow up wanting to be Buckeyes. And now you have guys that are going to grow up wanting to be Bearcats (that Woelk article where Cincinnati isn't in a super league is hilarious) Can you say the same about the Denver guys and CU?

Winning and facilities help (and Nike --cough Oregon). But if you have to spend a lot of resources convincing guys to come to your school, it's going to be tough to stay consistent. And with that comes reaching for players that probably wouldn't make it otherwise.

And hey if they go 8-4 and there's not a long M.A.S.H unit on the sidelines, they can go forth and enjoy themselves. But if it's too the point where you'd think of sneaking Darian Hagan into uniform because the injury bug has hit and the season looks bleak....chill out and enjoy the holidays....

Our talent is a lot better shape than it was 3 years ago, A LOT BETTER! Christ we had a top 15 class two years ago!

:lol:

You're using Ole miss as an example? A team that went from 3 wins in 2007 to 9 wins in 2008. Ok, :thumbsup:

CU has talent now and they have experience in a lot of areas.

Uh.....context?

Ole Miss has 1st day draft talent at a number of positions so this "favorable schedule" would work for them

CU has a competition at quarterback, running back, no wide receivers, iffy tight ends, some talent at Oline but no experience working togather, no talent on the dline, good linebackers and a good secondary with terrible special teams

Not the same thing.

Uh.....context?

Ole Miss has 1st day draft talent at a number of positions so this "favorable schedule" would work for them

CU has a competition at quarterback, running back, no wide receivers, iffy tight ends, some talent at Oline but no experience working togather, no talent on the dline, good linebackers and a good secondary with terrible special teams

Not the same thing.

totally disagree. CU has some talent and this is gonna be a special year. I bet Colorado has some future 1st day draft choices as well.

Last edited:
You just listed all the recruiting disadvantages we have (and they are legitimate) and you're perfectly fine putting us further behind the eight ball by forgoing bowl games unless they're "good". Do you understand how dumb that sounds?

Not the same thing.

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Our talent is a lot better shape than it was 3 years ago, A LOT BETTER! Christ we had a top 15 class two years ago!

Yes. But it doesn't make it a 10 win team

And the D line has major issues. MAJOR ISSUES. Which means the good linebacker unit is going to be taking on more blocks than necessary and the D backfield is going to tire out running all the time against the spread. If there is any productivity out of the D-line...it will be possible to get to that 8 win season, but if not, you're going to be leaning on an O-line that is still young and hasn't worked together much other than the spring and summer.

And the D line has major issues. MAJOR ISSUES. Which means the good linebacker unit is going to be taking on more blocks than necessary and the D backfield is going to tire out running all the time against the spread. If there is any productivity out of the D-line...it will be possible to get to that 8 win season, but if not, you're going to be leaning on an O-line that is still young and hasn't worked together much other than the spring and summer.

So, again, tell us why bowl practices would have been such a bad thing..... :rolleyes:

Pretty standard DL by CU standards.

Cunningham made some plays in limited action last season (see FSU game), Goree has good size and Herrod is a guy that not only has good size, but also has decent experience. Add in a couple young guys like Kasa and Bonsu, who already have the size to contribute right away, and guys that have been in the program for a few years (Shields, Obi) and we can make that unit work.

Plus, I'm sure we'll see plenty of blitzes, or plays that feature Beatty/Rippy with their hand on the ground.

I think Buffocrat & BuffMania are the same person.

No we're not. I think we just stopped looking at the team with rose colored glasses

"This is the best offseason we've ever had"
Buffocrat in 2003 - This is awesome. We are going to kick some a$$
Buffocrat in 2009 - Bull.

"He is going to be a special talent"
Buffocrat in 2003 - I can't wait to see him lead the team to the Big12 title
Buffocrat in 2009 - Didn't they say the same Jason E from DC was going to be the next Jonathan Ogden?

"We are going to win 10 games this year"
Buffocrat in 2003 - 10 games? If they play a perfect game 12-0 baby
Buffocrat in 2009 - They barely have the talent to win 8.

Just a period of growing watching the team and finally understanding what it can and can't do.

because all of the guys were injured!

Miller, iltis, givens, behrens, and solder wouldn't have practiced together.

Have you ever heard of something called depth? It generally separates the best teams from the mediocre teams.

Givens may very well have been cleared to practice then. Those practices would have helped. Behrens may have held off on surgery. Solder would have been good to. That's potentially three starters right there. Additionally, guys like Bahr and Adkins would have gotten valuable reps as well to push the starters.

The "no talent" young defensive linemen could have used the extra practices too. None of those guys were injured.

If you're not going to look via a fan's eyes, why even bother?

Cuz I don't feel like slamming a plate at a local sports bar over losing to Baylor anymore. And I've gotten older. I see that it takes a lot more than hope, 15 bowl practices, and the best off season ever to put a winning team on the field. One day you're looking at Brian White throwing zingers in a Bowl game and thinking.."okay this is our guy" and then next the team is losing to Montana St and he's transferring to Guam Tech......

because all of the guys were injured!

Miller, iltis, givens, behrens, and solder wouldn't have practiced together.

Most of them wouldn't have practiced at all. They would have been sitting out. So much for the "time to rest and heal" part of your inanity. :rolleyes: But for those that were healthy, they would have been practicing. The younger guys would have been getting more practice time. But you, for some insane reason, wanted to avoid that then, but want to complain about inexperience now. :lol:

You can be optimistic about your team without slamming a ****ing plate over a loss. I just don't understand the claim you make about being a Buff supporter yet saying absolutely nothing positive about the program, the players, the coaches, or the team's prospects for the year. If the constant negativity results in you being "right" often enough to ofset your otherwise pathetic life, then I'm happy you get some respite in a bleak existence. Doesn't ****ing mean we're gonna ever agree with your ****ty attitude.

Have you ever heard of something called depth? It generally separates the best teams from the mediocre teams.

Givens may very well have been cleared to practice then. Those practices would have helped. Behrens may have held off on surgery. Solder would have been good to. That's potentially three starters right there. Additionally, guys like Bahr and Adkins would have gotten valuable reps as well to push the starters.

The "no talent" young defensive linemen could have used the extra practices too. None of those guys were injured.

Dude!

You practice for 15 times. Half of those practices are for an exhibition game against Puerto Rico State.
You're then practicing with players that won't be with the team b/c their time has been used up.
Because they're more or less offseason practices, they are not as intense as probably Nebraska week is
You then play the game...win or lose
You then have several months off of non-formal training
Then spring practices come and you look like you've never practiced before.

You can be optimistic about your team without slamming a ****ing plate over a loss. I just don't understand the claim you make about being a Buff supporter yet saying absolutely nothing positive about the program, the players, the coaches, or the team's prospects for the year. If the constant negativity results in you being "right" often enough to ofset your otherwise pathetic life, then I'm happy you get some respite in a bleak existence. Doesn't ****ing mean we're gonna ever agree with your ****ty attitude.
:yeahthat: :stupid::gobuffs::drink2:

to be fair, navybuff is the only one who voted for having a bad feeling about the season. buffocrat voted the same as me.

And that's the problem. CU football is not my life. Maybe it is for you.

I've removed emotion from my fan dom like I have my politics. It lets you see things clearer. Your whole post is emotional. My life is great. My attitude is great. I just see CU Football for what it is: Not good, not bad; not 4 wins; not 10 wins. I don't have a pitchfork waiting for Hawkins if he doesn't win 8-10 games like a lot of folks on here do. I finally understand the predicament.

So hey if you don't wanna cosign or think my attitude is not appropriate, keep doing what you do. But I'm cool with where I am with this team. I'll still be in Toledo and West Virginia for those games and I'll be cheering this team my hardest, but win or lose....I'll go back to doing my thing.

I just think this season is going to be harder than what most seem to think. But not a failed season.

Last edited:
Dude!

You practice for 15 times. Half of those practices are for an exhibition game against Puerto Rico State.
You're then practicing with players that won't be with the team b/c their time has been used up.
Because they're more or less offseason practices, they are not as intense as probably Nebraska week is
You then play the game...win or lose
You then have several months off of non-formal training
Then spring practices come and you look like you've never practiced before.

Or your preferred alternative:

You practice 0 times.
You're not practicing with players who will be with the team and could benefit from practice reps because they will be replacing players whose time with the program has been used up.
Because there are no practices, there is even less intensity than bowl week work would be.
You then have even more months of non-formal training, like the training that took the place of bowl practices.
Then spring practices come and you look even more like you've never practiced before, as you are 1 month farther removed from any organized practice.

Again, your argument makes NO, ZERO, KEINE, ****ing sense at all.... :rolleyes:

I've removed emotion from my fan dom like I have my politics. It lets you see things clearer. Your whole post is emotional. My life is great. My attitude is great. I just see CU Football for what it is: Not good, not bad; not 4 wins; not 10 wins. I don't have a pitchfork waiting for Hawkins if he doesn't win 8-10 games like a lot of folks on here do. I finally understand the predicament.

So hey if you don't wanna cosign or think my attitude is not appropriate, keep doing what you do. But I'm cool with where I am with this team. I'll still be in Toledo and West Virginia for those games and I'll be cheering this team my hardest, but win or lose....I'll go back to doing my thing.

Gotcha. Go Buffs.

Our D line does not have major issues.

I just think this season is going to be harder than what most seem to think. But not a failed season.

You're arguing quite a bit to say that emotion is removed from your fandom.

Back