What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

POSITIVE: CU XC Pac 12 Champs are running in nationals this Sat. 11/17/12

CU is a powerhouse and does it without African-born "ringers". These guys (and girls) are bad ***** and deserve your support, although I'm not exactly sure how you support them. I doubt too many people are going to fly to Kentucky to see the race on Sat.

CU is a powerhouse and does it without African-born "ringers". These guys (and girls) are bad ***** and deserve your support, although I'm not exactly sure how you support them. I doubt too many people are going to fly to Kentucky to see the race on Sat.

Not sure if the second part of your first sentence really adds much to the post, but good on the XC team.

FACT: CU gives no scholarships for Cross Country. Any athletic scholarship held by any of the CU team members running in the national championship is for track.

Yet this is the sport that holds the second most national championships next to skiing.

Last edited by a moderator:
FACT: CU gives no scholarships for Cross Country. Any athletic scholarship held by any of the CU team members running in the national championship is for track.

Yet this is the sport that holds the second most national championships next to skiing.

To clarify the FACT: The runners know the scholarship is for a combination of xc, indoor, & outdoor track. It's the most bang for his buck that Coach Wetmore can get for the scholarships he's allotted.

This is why our track team isn't as competitive as many others - the scholarships are used on distance runners, whereas the really competitive track teams use most of their scholarships on sprinters/jumpers and multi-event athletes. There are many more points to be had in sprints, jumps, and relays, vs. distance events.

To sum it up: While it might seem like XC doesn't give scholarships, that's not even close to reality, as the overall quality of the track team is sacrificed to have a top notch XC team.

That being said, and to piggyback on what I think Skiddy was getting at, please consider supporting these athletes who are out there busting their butts competing during all three athletics seasons. In the past I've been able to catch an indoor meet at Balch prior to a basketball game at Coors, which made for a great day of sports viewing. There's world-class running going on at our school, and we should be proud.

Last edited:
Love it, but this has nothing to do with football, so GTFO.

From the horse's mouth...
This is an interview Coach Wetmore gave.

DT – One aspect of Division 1 athletics that I don’t fully understand is how scholarships are distributed particularly when it comes to cross country. How many scholarships for the cross country team do you get, and do they count towards track, or do the scholarships all count towards track, but some are meant for distance runners?

MW – Great question! There are no scholarships for Cross Country. If a school wants to have a CC team, they have to build it out of the 12.7 men’s and 18 women’s T&F scholarships. Some schools give a single scholarship to one big hitter, generally from Kenya; some give all they have to just CC. We spend more than most, but still try to run a complete program.

http://www.tips4running.com/Mark-Wetmore-Interview.html

From the horse's mouth...
This is an interview Coach Wetmore gave.

http://www.tips4running.com/Mark-Wetmore-Interview.html

Wetmore is an amazing guy. He's a zen geinus.

Also, the boook "Running with the Buffs" is a great read if you have any interest in running.

Wetmore makes runners into champs. The guys he gets are not typically the best of the best in HS, but he still wins championships even though schools like Stanford and Oregon throw a lot more money at XC. And many other schools just rely on African-born ringers.

Just thought I would share someting positive. 99.9% of the posts here are negative. CU football has nothgin to do with football, but you keep on posting about it.

Ha...was just wondering why you posted this is the football forum. Perhaps it is completely appropriate, seeing that we no longer have a ****ing football program.

Ha...was just wondering why you posted this is the football forum. Perhaps it is completely appropriate, seeing that we no longer have a ****ing football program.
I have no problem with it. Few read the Olympic sports forum.

Wetmore is an amazing guy. He's a zen geinus.

Also, the boook "Running with the Buffs" is a great read if you have any interest in running.

Wetmore makes runners into champs. The guys he gets are not typically the best of the best in HS, but he still wins championships even though schools like Stanford and Oregon throw a lot more money at XC. And many other schools just rely on African-born ringers.
"Running with the Buffs" is an excellent and poignant read. Even if you aren't into running, it is good.

Back