What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Possible QB Coach

DavisBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Any one hearing rumors about our new QB Coach?

I have no inside knowledge, but searched around for NFL coaches that might be available.

Of the Four NFL coaches below and Walt Harris (is he definitely out or could he come back into the picture after Embree interviews others) , who would you most like to see in Boulder? I think I like David Lee, HC and OC experience.

Richard Curl, coached with Embree.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/team/coaches/richard-curl/f32be219-1d63-4340-9528-f115bce2ac9d

Kevin Rogers, coached with Bieniemy.

http://www.vikings.com/team/coaches/kevin-rogers/98211720-e194-4fbf-ac70-9a7d2bb32aad

David Lee, coached with Dorrell and may be available soon.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/content/david-lee

Carl Smith, available and started coaching at CU in the 70's

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/coaches/carl-smith/b5b256ea-ca2d-4b86-829b-df601db3e6fa

I don't know much about these 4 guys, but they have coached some really awful QBs the last few years.

Kevin Rogers coached McNabb at Syracuse....and, despite Wally's imminent protest......interestingly, was Bob Stoops first choice as OC in 99. However, KR took the Notre Dame OC job under Bob "Mister Excitement on the TV" Davie. Stoops hired Leach, Leach got Heupel to commit, and so on. I've heard this story many many times from the step-dad.

Last edited:
David Lee is responsible for Chad Henne. Just sayin.

To be fair, I'm sure he gets way more blame for Henne regressing this year than he deserves. Lee was apparently the one that came to Sparano and Henning with the idea of the wildcat a few years ago, from his days at Arky. Hilariously enough, when Pennington had a good year and Henne had a decent first year as a starter, I remember a lot of fans wanted to fire Henning and promote Lee. How things change..

On paper Rogers looks very good (NFL coach and has been both an OC and recruiting coordinator). My only concern is that the Vikes offense has been miserable the past five years under Childress. You could probably say the same about the Browns, Dolphins and Rams, but I watch the Vikes quite a bit and except for last year, when I think Favre was changing the play calls at the line of scrimmage, the Vikes offense has been ineffective and predictable. Run on 1st and 2nd down, play action pass on 3rd down (fooling no one) and then punt. They played not to lose, keep it close and then hope for a game winning field goal at the end of the game. Watching the Vikes and the Buffs has been painful. If Rogers is our man, I hope it was all Childress and Bevel stifling Rogers and EB and their offensive creativity will come out.

Shawn Watson.

As a QB coach, he'd be pretty good. As an OC, he's a nightmare.

Wll, if JE is in Hawaii, I guess this issue will not be resolved until he gets back, at best.

go post this info in your worthless thread :smile2:

Hey, it isn't worthess. Did you notice it has had 301 hits. Now, assuming that people only fall for it once, it gives a great indication of how many members Allbuffs has! Its like a survey, if you will.

I heard a rumoe from a coworker today that CU was set to hire an NFL QB coach, but that coaches team 'backed into the playoffs' and he isn't available now....

If the rumor is to believed, that would mean it was Jedd Fisch.

34 year old QB coach for Seattle

Fisch joined the Seahawks staff on February 4, 2010 after spending one season as the University of Minnesota’s offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach after eight seasons in the NFL.

In his only season in Denver in 2008 as wide receivers coach, he coached Brandon Marshall to a career-high 104 catches with 1,265 and six touchdowns. He also tutored rookie Eddie Royal to one of the most productive rookie seasons in NFL history with 91 catches for 980 yards and five touchdowns. Denver finished the season with the second-ranked offense in the NFL.

Prior to the Broncos, he spent four seasons in Baltimore, including the 2006 campaign when Baltimore posted a 13-3 record and won the AFC North. Steve McNair received Pro Bowl honors during his first season in Baltimore after setting a franchise record for completion percentage (63.0%). Additionally, he helped wide receivers Derrick Mason (68) and Mark Clayton (67) form one of four wideout tandems in the AFC that featured two players with at least 65 catches. Fisch also contributed to a Ravens offense in 2006 that ranked first in the NFL in time of possession (32:49), second in sacks allowed (17) and ninth in pass completions (328).

He was Baltimore’s assistant quarterbacks coach in 2007 after serving as its assistant quarterbacks/wide receivers coach from 2005-06 and offensive assistant in 2004.

He began his NFL coaching career on the defensive side of the ball with the Houston Texans, for three seasons (2001-03). Houston Head Coach Dom Capers made him the Texans third hire in 2001. He worked on both sides of the ball that year, handling administrative duties to help the Texans prepare for their inaugural season.

Following an aortic aneurysm, Fisch handled off-the-field duties for the Texans in 2003 with his responsibilities including opponent tape breakdown and game analysis.

A graduate of the University of Florida with a bachelor’s degree in criminology, Fisch worked with his alma mater’s football program for two seasons as a graduate assistant from 1999-2000 while obtaining a master’s degree in sports management. He assisted Head Coach Steve Spurrier and the rest of the Gators’ coaching staff during those two seasons, helping the team advance to the Citrus (1999) and Sugar Bowls (2000) in addition to winning the Southeastern Conference championship in 2000.

Fisch, who served as an assistant coach and defensive coordinator at P.K. Yonge High School in Gainesville, Fla., from 1997-98 as an undergraduate, began his professional coaching career in 1998 with the Arena Football League’s New Jersey Red Dogs. He coached the team’s wide receivers and handled quality control duties for both offense and defense.

Born on May 5, 1976, in Livingston, N.J., Fisch is a graduate of Hanover Park High School in East Hanover, N.J. He is married to Amber, and the couple has two daughters, Zaylee and Ashlee.

He worked with Jeremy Bates, so there is a bit of USC connection there

I heard a rumoe from a coworker today that CU was set to hire an NFL QB coach, but that coaches team 'backed into the playoffs' and he isn't available now....

If the rumor is to believed, that would mean it was Jedd Fisch.

34 year old QB coach for Seattle

He worked with Jeremy Bates, so there is a bit of USC connection there

So, he'll be available after next weekend then.

So, he'll be available after next weekend then.

Yeah, that's about the gist of it.

One thing from the bio......"Following an aortic aneurysm, Fisch handled off-the-field duties for the Texans in 2003 with his responsibilities including opponent tape breakdown and game analysis." Is this stress related? Something to be concerned with in the coaching profession?

Some guy started coaching in the 70's is available or on the list?! Gawd!

I think the QB coach position is a good place to start in college coaching....does that mean you have to end there? Like there is no one else to consider?!

Yeah, that's about the gist of it.

One thing from the bio......"Following an aortic aneurysm, Fisch handled off-the-field duties for the Texans in 2003 with his responsibilities including opponent tape breakdown and game analysis." Is this stress related? Something to be concerned with in the coaching profession?

Not generally stress related. Most commonly associated with smoking. Rare in someone that young. There are other congenital and miscellaneous causes as well. But it is very difficult to know anything else about his condition without knowing specifics - i.e. how big the aneurysm is, where on the aorta it is/was, was is surgically corrected or left alone etc. Some are high risk, and some are low. But if they rupture, you're toast. Luckily, if caught early and monitored or corrected, they generally have a good outcome. Nerd out.

It looks more and more like Buffnik is right and Jedd Fisch will be our next QB coach. Dionisus1122's posted a rumor about the delayed QB hire due to the coach's team backing into the playoffs. Anouncing the WR & S&C coach today instead of waiting to announce all 3 together looks like we did not want to wait until the Seahawks lose. I have read a couple other articles on Fisch and he looks promising. Here is another article.
http://www.thedailygopher.com/2009/1/21/729935/jedd-fisch-get-to-know-him

Either I'm not reading it right or something but has he coached qb's? I'm reading his been more of a wr coach than anything.

Back