What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Possible Replacements for Embree

I realize Baxter and Klenakis are not inspiring, but Justin Wilcox is so much more than the connection to Boise. He was an All-PAC 10 cornerback at Oregon, was a position coach at Cal, a defensive coordinator in the SEC, and is now a defensive coordinator in the PAC-12. Bellotti has been quoted as saying he would have hired Wilcox if he had gotten back into coaching. He is very highly regarded and seems to have the even keel you want in a head coach.

Why no mazzone?

Doubt we'd consider Petrino which is too bad because we could likely land him IMO. He's also a westerner (from Montana)

There are a few candidates that stand out to me right now: Doug Nussmeier, Kirby Smart, Justin Wilcox, Sonny Dykes, and Mark Stoops. Haven't really given it too much thought, though. I honestly didn't think we'd see this kind of thread this season.

I do have some things I'd look for in the names:

- someone with proven coordinator experience.
- major selling point is NOT NFL experience
- they should NOT have any ties whatsoever to the University of Colorado.
- some west coast or Texas ties would be nice for recruiting purposes.
- Young and energetic.

Will get ripped here, but I don't hate that idea - although I worry about recruiting
Yeah, recruiting might be an issue. But the guy can coach. The question would be "can he turn this team around with Ebree's recruits?" If he were able to, then the recruiting would come. I know he expressed no interest last time. But I think the time would be right now.

Last edited:
Troy Calhoun

This would not excite me. This would be another CU going cheap on the hire.

We need a national name. Someone from SEC or a major school that has connections and can recruit. If CU does not open the wallet and go after someone on the national stage we are doomed forever.

I would love Petrino and a second chance to coach. CU admin would never go for it.
I wish we could get Kelly from Cincinnati. Not gonna happen.
I wish we could get Mike Stoops.
Christ at this point I would take Solitch. At least we would win 7 games a year and could bitch about only wining 7-9 games a year.

This would not excite me. This would be another CU going cheap on the hire.

We need a national name. Someone from SEC or a major school that has connections and can recruit. If CU does not open the wallet and go after someone on the national stage we are doomed forever.

I would love Petrino and a second chance to coach. CU admin would never go for it.
I wish we could get Kelly from Cincinnati. Not gonna happen.
I wish we could get Mike Stoops.
Christ at this point I would take Solitch. At least we would win 7 games a year and could bitch about only wining 7-9 games a year.

Considering Kelly from Cincinnati is the head coach at Notre Dame now, I'd definitely be inclined to agree that it isn't going to happen.

We could certainly get Mike Stoops. Problem is, he sucks. Now Mark Stoops is someone that might be worth looking into.

Solich is 68 years old. We might as well call up Coach Mac.

We don't want Mike Stoops as HC. The guy is a huge intravert, but is great with Xs and Os. He's a coordinator, and that's all.

Considering Kelly from Cincinnati is the head coach at Notre Dame now, I'd definitely be inclined to agree that it isn't going to happen.

We could certainly get Mike Stoops. Problem is, he sucks. Now Mark Stoops is someone that might be worth looking into.

Solich is 68 years old. We might as well call up Coach Mac.

I knew that about Kelly, just spaced back to our last coach change conversations. I meant Butch Jones. He has done more in 1 season with Cincy than Embree ever will at CU.

Regarding Solich, ask KSU what they think about their octogenarian coach.

There are a few candidates that stand out to me right now: Doug Nussmeier, Kirby Smart, Justin Wilcox, Sonny Dykes, and Mark Stoops. Haven't really given it too much thought, though. I honestly didn't think we'd see this kind of thread this season.

I do have some things I'd look for in the names:

- someone with proven coordinator experience.
- major selling point is NOT NFL experience
- they should NOT have any ties whatsoever to the University of Colorado.
- some west coast or Texas ties would be nice for recruiting purposes.
- Young and energetic.

Some other names based on your qualifications above: Manny Diaz, Texas DC and Chad Morris, Clemson OC (Texas HS ties). Smart and Wilcox would be good moves but Smart will wait for a better gig at the end of the season (one SEC job will open up if not more). Wilcox, Diaz, Dykes and Mario Cristobal from FIU (long shot as he turned down Rutgers, mainly Florida/east coast ties though) would be solid options.

Mazzone is a fantastic OC, but I'm not sure if he is HC material, he very well could be, I just don't know enough about him. Not all OCs/DCs are HC material (ex: Bud Foster, Norm Chow TBD although now at Hawaii). It's sad that we are talking about this so damn early in 2012 with the season already lost. My guess is that we will suffer through Year 3 of Embree, much as we did in Year 5 of slapdick before a move is made unfortunately. Hire a competent coach who knows how to adjust, gameplan and motivate. Hire a staff that can recruit and coordinators who can call a competent game and adjust at half if need be.

Different situations between us and UCLA as they had talent in place, it just wasn't being utilized by Slick, but the Mora hire was a laugh when it first went down. Then he hired Mazzone, Klemm and a few other solid recruiters and UCLA looks like a different animal. CU won't have overnight success like that, but it would be nice to actually see a coaching staff who can develop a team over two seasons and can also recruit.

I knew that about Kelly, just spaced back to our last coach change conversations. I meant Butch Jones. He has done more in 1 season with Cincy than Embree ever will at CU.

Regarding Solich, ask KSU what they think about their octogenarian coach.

Snyder is one of the best coaches ever, I'll need a second example before I buy into hiring a dinosaur.

Meh on Butch Jones. He has done ok at Cincy, but he always follows Brian Kelly. No idea whether he can build anything or if he can just keep the train on the tracks.

You seem to want a proven HC. I just don't think we're going to be able to get a good one. Like you said, the admin isn't going to be down with Petrino and everyone else is going to have major issues. Might as well try to catch lightning in a bottle with a coordinator.

What we need (Petrino aside - I don't think CU would ever have the balls to hire him), is a guy who either has turned around a program as the head coach, or has been one of the top assistants at a school where a turnaround happened.

Embree isn't getting fired. Even if we don't win a single game. He will be here next year. And in the .000000001% chance he is fire we are not getting any big name proven coach in here. They gave Hawkins 5 years. Why would they go and fire Embree after two?

Embree isn't getting fired. Even if we don't win a single game. He will be here next year. And in the .000000001% chance he is fire we are not getting any big name proven coach in here. They gave Hawkins 5 years. Why would they go and fire Embree after two?

It's a reasonable question, but the answer is simple - we have a lot more money now than we did when we were forced to eat the Hawkins sh*t sandwich.

I feel like a winless season stigmatizes a coach to a degree that can't be recovered from and that even the clowns at CU might come around to that (although personally, I'm certainly hardly convinced they'd bump him out after an 0-12 season, either, unless the ****storm became so loud that there was no denying what needed to happen). It's one thing for a 2 or 3 win season with promise of building towards the future, but 0 wins is just on an entirely different level of pure hopelessness and futility.

If the admin learned anything from the Hawk situation then there are 2 answers:

1. Embree is a lot cheaper to fire.
2. Hindsight would tell any moron that holding on to Hawk as long as they did was a bad idea.

Because it will cost about $3 million less to fire Embree tomorrow than it would to fire Hawkins after only 4 years.

I would say you all have legit points but it doesn't matter if the admin doesn't give a **** if the football team goes 10-2 or 0-12. Embree isn't going anywhere.

200110-2
20029-4
20035-7
20047-5
20057-5
20062-10
20076-6
20085-7
20093-9
20105-7
20113-10

Not the record of a school that gives a **** about it's football program. The last time we won more games than we lost was 2005. How old where you in 2005?

Embree and Hawkins are two different situations at the moment. Hawkins got his extension which made him difficult to get rid of and which is why he got that extra year. Embree's buyout is much cheaper and we have more money which makes it possible but i think a lot will depend on how the rest of this season goes. 1-2 wins and dwindling crowds at home games and they may pull the trigger in November. 40K and more at most games and 3+ wins and there is no way they fire him this year and this I think would be the worst case scenario at this point because that just means he will be on the hot seat all next year and recruiting will take a huge hit again.

Hrmmmm, lets say Seattle goes 3-12 this year and Pete Carrol gets the axe while the Buffs go 1-11 and the Admin at CU realizes football is important.

Could happen! I mean I know it isn't likely that we win a game, but the Seachickens are starting a rookie QB.

Seattle - by virtue of being somewhat decent in the NFC West - will win more than three games.

Despite the fact that the circumstances are different with Embree, I don't see him getting fired either this season or next. They held onto Hawk too long and they have the football program right where they want it - an afterthought when it comes to the university instead of it being in the limelight. Why would the administration suddenly change their tune now?

Despite the fact that the circumstances are different with Embree, I don't see him getting fired either this season or next. They held onto Hawk too long and they have the football program right where they want it - an afterthought when it comes to the university instead of it being in the limelight. Why would the administration suddenly change their tune now?
Basketball

Back