What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Possible Replacements for Embree

If he brings Tosh, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Those guys recruit as well as almost anyone in the PAC 12.

Not my favorite, but excellent recruiting and 7-5 sounds alright right about now.

My buddy and I went to dinner after the game. We both graduated in '05 and talked about how things were so different now. He summed it up best:

"Do you remember when we used to bitch about going 7-5? We were furious.... I'd give my left nut to go 7-5 now."

+1 on Petrino - guy gets results. I like results. I want results.

I am sick and embarrassed of being a laughing stock.

Agree with everything Jens said. I dread going to work and having to answer the "what the **** happened" questions. I'm sick of walking up in the morning and then realizing we are a joke that is only getting worse.

Not sure I'd like Tedford. His inability to develop QBs since Aaron Rodgers has Slick written all over him. Cal has fielded some pretty good teams that seem to be snakebitten, though. They were ranked #1 overall a couple of years ago only to lose like 5 in a row to finish the season IIRC.

Sad to see the Petrino mentions. Would anybody like to trade spots with Arkansas right now? Bad guys do bad things, he'd find a way to leave CU in the lurch, just like he's done at his last 3 jobs. He might win, but he leaves destruction in his wake.

My parents are Alumni at Iowa state and everybody there loves Paul Rhoads. He isn't what you could call a great catch but he turned a 2-3 game winning program to a 5-7 game winning program. He also seems to bring a fire to their game hell they beat the fuskers, longhorns, and the cowboys in 3 years. They beat their rival Iowa for now 2 years in a row. If we could get a coach like him but maybe better recruiting we could be set. It took him one season to turn a 2-10 team to a 7-6. Just saying.

Not sure I'd like Tedford. His inability to develop QBs since Aaron Rodgers has Slick written all over him. Cal has fielded some pretty good teams that seem to be snakebitten, though. They were ranked #1 overall a couple of years ago only to lose like 5 in a row to finish the season IIRC.

I'd love to have his bad QB track record here-he coached David Carr, Joey Harrington, and Kyle Boller too. Not a great resume for developing NFL QBs (save Rodgers), but very good college QBs.

This is his 11th year at Cal and his worst season was 5-7. He was at Oregon and Fresno St prior to Cal so he should have some deep roots in west coast recruiting. Not perfect, but he'd be about as good as we could hope for IMO.

(This post was brought to you by your good friends at Wikipedia)

The only question I have with Tedford is whether he has the stomach for another rebuilding job. I admit I am intrigued though.

I'd love to have his bad QB track record here-he coached David Carr, Joey Harrington, and Kyle Boller too. Not a great resume for developing NFL QBs (save Rodgers), but very good college QBs.

This is his 11th year at Cal and his worst season was 5-7. He was at Oregon and Fresno St prior to Cal so he should have some deep roots in west coast recruiting. Not perfect, but he'd be about as good as we could hope for IMO.

(This post was brought to you by your good friends at Wikipedia)

Alright, the Slick comparison was mean and hurtful. I take it back.

Upon further review, thanks to your boy Wikipedia, 79-48 overall. Not bad. Will take.

I'm surprised nobody has said this yet, but why not Tosh Lupoi?:huh:

He's a top 5 recruiter hands down (Can make an argument for tops). I'm not sure how he is as a coach, but he's produced some studs @ CAL, and their defense doesn't look as good without him. He has a very strong Pete Carroll vibe to me. His players really love him, commits love him, recruits that go elsewhere love him, he's innovative (in recruiting), he's young, and is somewhat of a big name. There's a lot of good candidates out there, but you gotta get talent into the CU program....and that's what Tosh does best. At the very worst, CU is still where their at, but they'll have way more talent for the next coach to work with.

He's a top 5 recruiter hands down (Can make an argument for tops). I'm not sure how he is as a coach, but he's produced some studs @ CAL, and their defense doesn't look as good without him. He has a very strong Pete Carroll vibe to me. His players really love him, commits love him, recruits that go elsewhere love him, he's innovative (in recruiting), he's young, and is somewhat of a big name. There's a lot of good candidates out there, but you gotta get talent into the CU program....and that's what Tosh does best. At the very worst, CU is still where their at, but they'll have way more talent for the next coach to work with.
See bolded. No way.

I thought that was why we had hired Embo and EB :huh:

Tedford season-by-season breakdown:

'02: 7-5 (4-4)
'03: 8-6 (5-3)
'04: 10-2 (7-1)
'05: 8-4 (4-4)
'06: 10-3 (7-2)
'07: 7-6 (3-6)
'08: 9-4 (6-3)
'09: 8-5 (5-4)
'10: 5-7 (3-6)
'11: 7-6 (4-5)
'12: 1-1

For those of you who don't remember Cal pre-Tedford, they were BAD. I mean BAD. A much longer streak of being horrendous than we're currently on.

You gotta wonder a bit about Tosh's heroic recruiting... (no knowledge, proof or allegation intended).

Tedford season-by-season breakdown:

'02: 7-5 (4-4)
'03: 8-6 (5-3)
'04: 10-2 (7-1)
'05: 8-4 (4-4)
'06: 10-3 (7-2)
'07: 7-6 (3-6)
'08: 9-4 (6-3)
'09: 8-5 (5-4)
'10: 5-7 (3-6)
'11: 7-6 (4-5)
'12: 1-1

For those of you who don't remember Cal pre-Tedford, they were BAD. I mean BAD. A much longer streak of being horrendous than we're currently on.

The year before he took over Cal won 1 game! He could have that same situation all over again! I bet he'd be giddy with excitement at the thought.

The year before he took over Cal won 1 game! He could have that same situation all over again! I bet he'd be giddy with excitement at the thought.

Seems like he's had a lot of support from the admin at Cal, including admissions flexibility (I think) and facilities improvements. If someone like Tedford were to come, I would hope he would demand a necessary level of support from CU admin (kind of like BZ and the practice facility). That is part of why a coach with his type of resume could really help us (in addition to coaching prowess and recruiting).

Didn't win their first game until the final game of the season in '01 (against Rutgers). God help us if that's the path we take heading into the Utah game

Would give my left nut for 7 wins next year...

Didn't win their first game until the final game of the season in '01 (against Rutgers). God help us if that's the path we take heading into the Utah game

Would give my left nut for 7 wins next year...

7 wins or Fire Tedford.

Where's flukes? What kind of expectations do Cal fans have for them this year? Does another mediocre season cause his departure?

7 wins or Fire Tedford.

Where's flukes? What kind of expectations do Cal fans have for them this year? Does another mediocre season cause his departure?

He's going to get his panties in a bunch, you should see him when people say they know Mike Montgomery is retiring in a year :lol:

Sonny Dykes, Larry Coker, and Gus Malzahn all intrigue me.

Dykes has Midwestern, Texas, and Pac connections.

Coker has coached big-time football for several good coaches.

Malzahn only has SEC and Arkansas/NE Oklahoma connections coachingwise, but seems to be a good coach.

Back