What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Possible Replacements for Embree

I move that we put this "Replacement for Embree" thread to rest for a while. All in favor say, "Aye."

I move that we put this "Replacement for Embree" thread to rest for a while. All in favor say, "Aye."

I agree, but also think it can and should be brought immediately back to life after the ASU game if we are 0-6 at that point (as things only get significantly tougher with inevitable losses from there)

images

agree but if CU gets blown out Saturday night and makes no improvement this thread is gonna blow..

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Mike Bellotti, he'd be my top (practical) choice. He took Oregon to a bowl game in 13 of the 14 years he was there and won 9 or more games 7 times and did this in the conference we're currently in, plus he has no baggage. I know he already tunrned us down once but that was in part because he didn't want to get back into coaching yet and he was at least interested enough that he came out here to tour the area and meet with Bohn.

My 2 cents - it is frustrating to lose to teams we believe we should be able to beat soundly. However, I recall a pretty broad concurrence that Embree needs 3, maybe 4 years to show what he can do as a head coach. I little history lesson (not that most of us need it): Look at coach Mac's tenure as a 1st time head coach with a team that had big holes to fill. Here are the won/lost records not including the bowl games:

The first THREE YEARS were "the lean years" with losing seasons each year. The third year was the most disappointing at 1 and 10:

YearWLTFinal Rank
1982281-
198346 -
1984110 -

The next four years were "the bowl years" although we never finished any of those years in the AP top 20 rankings:

YearWLTFinal Rank
198574 -
198665 -
198774 -
198883 -

Finally, four seasons that were "the glory years" with top 20 rankings at the end of each season and the national championship year:

YearWLTFinal Rank
1989110 4

I don't know if Embree will develop as a coach to get CU to a high level like Mac did, or whether he will recruit the caliber of player that Mac was able to. But I call bull**** on deciding there is no hope for him to be able to turn this program around either.

For the guys that keep comparing Embree's teams to Mac's teams did his teams regress their 2nd year and actually look and play worse? We heard these same things with Hawkins and look how that turned out.

For the guys that keep comparing Embree's teams to Mac's teams did his teams regress their 2nd year and actually look and play worse? We heard these same things with Hawkins and look how that turned out.

Mac's team flat fell apart in the third year. Not only did they lose every game but one but they managed to look really bad doing it. I have no question that had the interwebs been around then the level of demanding he be fired would have made what we have right now seem like nothing.

Nobody knows if Embree will ever turn it around, you only get one Mac and Embree isn't him. With that said and I am not happy with what is happening either but the "fire Embree" stuff is just a bit early looking at history.

What did Mac's staff look like? Any significant turnover there with any correlation to the win/loss columns?

CU needs a coach with PROVEN COLLEGE COACHING EXPERIENCE.

I don't care if it is someone who has never even played or coached in the state of Colorado. CU needs a proven winner.

Go find the coordinator with the best resume, offer him $1.7 million, and let him go with it.

I agree with this. In retrospect, bringing someone in to perpetuate the CU culture may have been the worst idea ever. Granted, I was fully on board with it after the Hawk debacle. I thought restoring some of our tradition couldn't hurt. But in hindsight I think we would have been better off to set off in a completely different direction. Embracing our tarnished legacy appears to have been the wrong way to go.

Of course, the other big problem is that there aren't a ton of coaches with good resumes lining up for this job.

I don't think that having a CU legacy is a bad thing. Understanding and being a part of the tradition and having contacts with the ex players as well as being know to the alums is not a bad thing and wouldn't be a negative going into the future if Embree gets replaced.

The only problem is that the hire can't be made because of the CU connection. The number one consideration has to be the ability to lead and coach the team. The CU connection only comes into play as a tiebreaker between a guy who has the CU connection and one who doesn't. It can't be the issue that puts the guy on top of the list to start with.

I don't think that having a CU legacy is a bad thing. Understanding and being a part of the tradition and having contacts with the ex players as well as being know to the alums is not a bad thing and wouldn't be a negative going into the future if Embree gets replaced.

The only problem is that the hire can't be made because of the CU connection. The number one consideration has to be the ability to lead and coach the team. The CU connection only comes into play as a tiebreaker between a guy who has the CU connection and one who doesn't. It can't be the issue that puts the guy on top of the list to start with.

It's not except there's nobody that has the resume that we want and is an alum. Embree and EB were the closest thing to it and both are looking to not be up to the task.

Back