What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Post-Season Assessment - QB

buffaholic

Club Member
Club Member
My opinion:
Cody lost his confidence when the O-Line fell to pieces mid-year. At his best, he is serviceable. He gets the most out of his ability thanks to good fundamentals and excellent knowledge (his WR's don't always have this same knowledge unfortunately). However, I think we've seen his ceiling, when he's at his best. Behind a good O-line with a good running game, he could be decent, but never great. He strains on the outside routes, with arm-strength that is Is he good enough to make us a top-15 team in two years?

Hansen showed greath athleticism and a strong arm. He does not yet know how to stay in the pocket, step up and make the throw with pressure around him. He makes the freshmen mistake of "taking off" too early.

Ballenger - we didn't see much. His lack of mobility seems to have not been the right fit when we turned to Hansen for his feet. Can he compete next year?

The question is can Cody take us to a championship if the other pieces are all put in place? Can he improve from here a bunch?

I feel a more athletic QB who can make the throws a little crisper would be helpful....

I have mixed feelings on the qb situation. Love Cody as a leader and his knowledge of the offense but for him to be successful he needs more playmakers surrounding him. Unless we get some incoming freshman or jc receivers that can make a big impact I don't see us moving forward with Cody.

With Tyler you get an athletic guy that can make plays with his legs, better arm than Cody but doesn't know the offense yet. Give him a spring and fall practice schedule and maybe he picks up the offense.

Love Ballengers size but so far he hasn't done much for me to move him above Cody or Tyler.

It's a sticky situation for me looking ahead to next season.

We used Hansen so little, makes you wonder why we bothered burning the RS

Cody can be effective if the game is not put on his shoulders. in order for him to be a positive and not a liability he needs: OL play and an established run game for play action. he showed some things yesterday but if can't guarantee him OL play and 150 yards a game on the ground in addition to a steady diet of 3rd and 3's and not 3'd and 10's...we might need to move on.

If Cody is the QB next year, we're still going to have issues on offense. Get Hansen studying the playbook relentlessly this offseason so he has every chance to win the starting job in Spring ball. It is a much different offense when there is actually a run threat from the QB.

Cody can be effective if the game is not put on his shoulders. in order for him to be a positive and not a liability he needs: OL play and an established run game for play action. he showed some things yesterday but if can't guarantee him OL play and 150 yards a game on the ground in addition to a steady diet of 3rd and 3's and not 3'd and 10's...we might need to move on.

:yeahthat:

Cody is fine so long as everything else is working. When he needs to make something out of nothing, he's incapable of doing so. Hanson, otoh, is capable of making something out of nothing. He does have the physical skills to put the team on his shoulders and will it to a victory. I love Cody. He is a warrior and a tough little bastard. But, as I've said before, he makes the perfect BACKUP quarterback. The guy who can go in and manage a team when the starter is out. I really, really hope Hanson is the guy next year.

All three QB's got happy feet after the O Line was decimated and couldn't provide consistent protection. The loss of the O-Line had a profound effect on the QB play, IMO. But I think there is a huge silver lining here. M&M will get medreds and an additional year of eligibility. The experience they gained this year will be huge. The result will be much better QB and RB play next year.

I can't believe how the media types seem to discount the decimation of the O-Line as a big reason for the offensive problems.

Hawkins = Very Good Backup

That is the bottom line IMO. Even if we have an improved O-Line next year and consistent running game, there are gonna be one or two games in which it will all rest on the Quaterbacks shoulders near the end of the game. With Cody next year, we are good for maybe 8-4. We could do great things with Hansen next year.

I admire Cody for his leadership and toughness, but he can show his leadership from the sideline next year....after all he wants to be a coach.

Also, from what I have heard about Clark Evans from CA, he should have a chance to compete this year. He is a big 6-5, 230 pound playmaker who can move and has a strong arm. Don't pay attention that he is just a *** star on Rivals becasue based on his preformance this year he should be at lest **** stars. He is outplaying Matt Barkley at Mater Dei who is the number one player in the nation.

Cody is fine when the OL is actually holding their blocks. The OU game was directly on his shoulders and he came through. We need to realize that he can win here at CU, but he needs others to do there jobs as well. I know he didn't have a great season here, but it's not like anyone else could've done any better with the state of the offense.

I have mixed feelings on the qb situation. Love Cody as a leader and his knowledge of the offense but for him to be successful he needs more playmakers surrounding him. Unless we get some incoming freshman or jc receivers that can make a big impact I don't see us moving forward with Cody.

With Tyler you get an athletic guy that can make plays with his legs, better arm than Cody but doesn't know the offense yet. Give him a spring and fall practice schedule and maybe he picks up the offense.

Agree with that assessment. During the offseason we should be able to coach up Hansen in terms of knowing the offense and getting comfortable with the pass offense. It is going to be difficult to make Cody taller, faster or stronger armed. :cool: For that reason, at this point I'm hoping Hansen emerges as the guy next year.

Evans sounds like a great prospect, but I would love to see him get the chance to redshirt next year and step into the fray in 2010 with a year watching and working in the offense under his belt.

That is the bottom line IMO. Even if we have an improved O-Line next year and consistent running game, there are gonna be one or two games in which it will all rest on the Quaterbacks shoulders near the end of the game. With Cody next year, we are good for maybe 8-4. We could do great things with Hansen next year.

I admire Cody for his leadership and toughness, but he can show his leadership from the sideline next year....after all he wants to be a coach.

Also, from what I have heard about Clark Evans from CA, he should have a chance to compete this year. He is a big 6-5, 230 pound playmaker who can move and has a strong arm. Don't pay attention that he is just a *** star on Rivals becasue based on his preformance this year he should be at lest **** stars. He is outplaying Matt Barkley at Mater Dei who is the number one player in the nation.

Matt Barkley and Evans are two completely different QB's. If you offered me the choice, i'd go with Barkley in a heartbeat. He's the better QB.

Now Clark Evans isn't exactly chopped liver either. He's a great running QB. He does have a strong arm, but he isn't known for his accuracy. I'm not sold he's going to come in and start right away. I hope I'm wrong on him.

I think we saw this year what happens when you have too high expectations for true freshmen. I don't think you can count on any true freshman to come in and start at quarterback. Even guys that came in as top 5 qb's have struggled over the years when starting as true freshmen.

Matt Barkely and Evans are two completely different QB's. If you offered me the choice, i'd go with Barkely in a heartbeat. He's the better QB.

Now Clark Evans isn't exactly chopped liver either. He's a great running QB. He does have a strong arm, but he isn't known for his accuracy. I'm not sold he's going to come in and start right away. I hope I'm wrong on him.

Not saying he is as good as Barkley. I to would rather have Barkley in a minute.

Just simply saying that Evans is outplaying Barkley in CA this year. Then again, Barkley lost some very good players after last year.

Not saying he is as good as Barkley. I to would rather have Barkley in a minute.

Just simply saying that Evans is outplaying Barkley in CA this year. Then again, Barkley lost some very good players after last year.

ahh.

I like Evans. I just think we shouldn't rush him.

I am still confident that Ballenger can step up. He got kind of a raw deal this year imo. I'm sure this experience will push him to prove a lot of people wrong.

RS Evans that way there is a 2 year gap between him and Hansen

This is the most likely scenario....

With a full spring practice schedule, my money is on Hansen as the starter. If we RS Evans, he will then have his Junior and Senior year to start.

Then again, you never know, Evans could come in and blow everybody away and become a Freshman phenom.

I think Hansen would start, but my dream is for Evans to come in and dominate from day one. Having a four year starter sounds good to me

A microcosm of the Buffs QB play was the play that ended the season against NU. Too slow to avoid the rush, flushed from the pocket and a low enough release point that the ball was batted down and picked by the one DL anywhere near him. Horrible.

Cody = Trent Dilfer of the Superbowl Ravens... he's not going to win you any games, but as long as he doesn't screw up, he probably won't lose you any games.

If the Buffs want to get to the next level, they need a QB that can make all the throws, and is athletic enough to move around in the pocket. Cody still makes far too many mistakes, even when he's not running for his life because of the decimated o-line.

Cody is what he is, a serviceable starting QB, that any team would love to have as a backup, but he's not going to take a team and lift it.

A microcosm of the Buffs QB play was the play that ended the season against NU. Too slow to avoid the rush, flushed from the pocket and a low enough release point that the ball was batted down and picked by the one DL anywhere near him. Horrible.

Cody = Trent Dilfer of the Superbowl Ravens... he's not going to win you any games, but as long as he doesn't screw up, he probably won't lose you any games.

If the Buffs want to get to the next level, they need a QB that can make all the throws, and is athletic enough to move around in the pocket. Cody still makes far too many mistakes, even when he's not running for his life because of the decimated o-line.

Cody is what he is, a serviceable starting QB, that any team would love to have as a backup, but he's not going to take a team and lift it.

Bingo. And if he's not sharp, he immediately becomes a liability.

Back