What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Post-Spring Depth Chart

Nothing worse than writing a post and then going back to read it and find out autocorrect has made you look like an idot. I don't need your help for that autocorrect

ru5uvyry.jpg

You would be surprised. I've had issues when I went back to read proposals I have written and found words that were correctly spelled... but were the absolute wrong word (like maybe I'd hit 'u' instead of 'y' and it autocorrected the other letters to something that made no sense). Autocorrect is very helpful, but it's not completely reliable.

Put it this way: In college, when I got 10% of something wrong I was handed an "A" grade. In the business world, if I turned in something that was 10% wrong it was grounds for termination.

It's certainly not a fool proof method. It really comes down to proofreading, which I don't really do on here. My papers rarely get marked down for grammar issues, though.

It's certainly not a fool proof method. It really comes down to proofreading, which I don't really do on here. My papers rarely get marked down for grammar issues, though.

Nik hit this above, just because you're not getting marked down for it doesn't mean it's not occurring. What it likely means is that any issues aren't that egregious, and you're doing better than many of your classmates. But don't think you won't get nailed for "minor" mistakes in the real world.

Case in point: I'm reviewing a memo concerning an $8 million valuation dispute right now. Author is making some very good and well supported points. And right in the middle of page three he's got "broad" instead of "board." While it's obvious he's referring to the board of directors, it still makes me wonder if I can trust his DCF, or if I need to rerun it just to be sure it doesn't have a "minor" mistake as well. I'll give you a hint: this isn't the best situation for him to be in, and he probably shouldn't have trusted Word's grammar and spelling function quite so much...

Nik hit this above, just because you're not getting marked down for it doesn't mean it's not occurring. What it likely means is that any issues aren't that egregious, and you're doing better than many of your classmates. But don't think you won't get nailed for "minor" mistakes in the real world.

Case in point: I'm reviewing a memo concerning an $8 million valuation dispute right now. Author is making some very good and well supported points. And right in the middle of page three he's got "broad" instead of "board." While it's obvious he's referring to the board of directors, it still makes me wonder if I can trust his DCF, or if I need to rerun it just to be sure it doesn't have a "minor" mistake as well. I'll give you a hint: this isn't the best situation for him to be in, and he probably shouldn't have trusted Word's grammar and spelling function quite so much...

English classes are really anal with grammar. You may be right, but I remember a couple others in those classes getting nailed for simple stuff. The point was that there's a difference between how careful I am with my grammar in the real world and on forums. Thank god the offseason is here...

English classes are really anal with grammar. You may be right, but I remember a couple others in those classes getting nailed for simple stuff. The point was that there's a difference between how careful I am with my grammar in the real world and on forums. Thank god the offseason is here...

What I've learned in the real world is that if you're good, your grammar doesn't matter a lot. I work with a bunch of engineers whose grammar varies all over the place, but they're here because that's not the job for which they were hired.

What I've learned in the real world is that if you're good, your grammar doesn't matter a lot. I work with a bunch of engineers whose grammar varies all over the place, but they're here because that's not the job for which they were hired.

Actually it depends on your profession. In some professions math matters a lot. In others, it's words. When in doubt, best to get both right.

Actually it depends on your profession. In some professions math matters a lot. In others, it's words. When in doubt, best to get both right.

This.

In my profession, I need both math and words. If I'm proposing a loan, my numbers better be right, and my grammar better be right, because there are six guys with titles like "Chief Credit Officer" looking at the proposal.

I am sure your writing on Allbuffs gets more attention than any paper you turn in to a professor.

Remember that feedback is a gift. Your attitude of not giving a **** is a part of the personal brand you are developing.

I am sure your writing on Allbuffs gets more attention than any paper you turn in to a professor.

Remember that feedback is a gift. Your attitude of not giving a **** is a part of the personal brand you are developing.

It's not that I don't give a ****, I just think it's a bit silly that all this jumped up after a post on a forum. I highly respect Sacky and Nik's opinions, and don't disagree with what they are saying.

Last edited:
So if I'm a 4th string scout team fodder lineman, I can start against Oregon if my Allbuffs posts demonstrate impeccable grammar?

I'm just quoting this so I can read it again. That's some pretty good **** right there.

Back