What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Post your spring game observations

Watching on TV, the offensive and defensive lines are the biggest concerns. The skill position players on both sides of the ball look decent - but if the OL and DL get pushed around it will be another long year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walked by Farrad field today on my way to the spring game to check out how the construction was coming along around all of the tailgate locations near Sackygate. I'm not as optimistic as I once was in my previous post. It appears there is a 6-8 ft. tall concrete retaining wall starting around 25 ft. north of Farrod field, running east from the music hall almost all the way to the N.E. entrance to Farrod. If tailgating is still allowed in that location, then one would have to back up there vehicle to the wall, and either lift up everything over the wall for the tailgate, or carry it around the wall, up to the walkway. I meant to post a picture here, but left my phone in the car. Anyway, I spoke with a couple of construction workers who said there supposed to be out of there by the end of June. But as someone once said, We'll see. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Then I saw those *ucking bike racks!!!

Feeling a lot better about the WRs than I was three months ago. Need Fields to push for playing time right away and Keeney to the same, not huge stretches. Bobo and Walker stepping up is huge.

Feeling a lot better about the WRs than I was three months ago. Need Fields to push for playing time right away and Keeney to the same, not huge stretches. Bobo and Walker stepping up is huge.

It's not going to be a dynamic offense this year, but it can be a competent and competitive one. It's really going to come down to the OL and RBs being able to generate a running game.

You're not one who should be bagging on being repetitive. And last I checked, this thread is about the spring game and not recruiting.

I can rephrase for you. Every spring we look 'like we are having fun now', players are 'holding each other accountable', like 'we finally have some depth', the 'players know where to be' and are 'completely buying in'. The problem is CU is playing itself and until someone turns over this entire roster with pac12 caliber players, this fall will be unwatchable.

Fool me once ... fool me 9 times.

I can rephrase for you. Every spring we look 'like we are having fun now', players are 'holding each other accountable', like 'we finally have some depth', the 'players know where to be' and are 'completely buying in'. The problem is CU is playing itself and until someone turns over this entire roster with pac12 caliber players, this fall will be unwatchable.

That's simply not true.

We're coming off of a few springs where they weren't even able to hold a scrimmage or had walk-on safeties listed atop the depth chart at CB or heard national pundits say that the Buffs looked like a 1-AA team or didn't have a QB look good enough to be named the starter.

I'm not saying that impressions from the spring should make someone a true believer in anyone or anything regarding the football program.

What I am saying is that things are more positive this spring than in recent years. There's a good chance that means that things are improving with our football program.

Still is a stretch to find 6 wins without a decent sized upset somewhere. maybe two. But I think the losses will be closer and who knows what happens when we can finally keep it close into the 4th quarter!

Still is a stretch to find 6 wins without a decent sized upset somewhere. maybe two. But I think the losses will be closer and who knows what happens when we can finally keep it close into the 4th quarter!

Disagree.

CSU
Umass
Hawaii
Cal
OSU
Utah

None of those would be a decent sized upset. The three PAC 12 lines will be small and we'll be favored in those first three listed.

Basically everything has to go right to get six wins. Not very likely.

I agree. I'm hovering at 5 right now. I think taking the O/U at 3.5 games is dumb though because that likely means 0-9 in conference play which just isn't likely and not a rational decision.

Last edited:
would not take the under 3.5 at all as 4 seems doable for sure.... 5 is possible and six is a reach... beating beavers at home not gonna be easy

That's simply not true.

We're coming off of a few springs where they weren't even able to hold a scrimmage or had walk-on safeties listed atop the depth chart at CB or heard national pundits say that the Buffs looked like a 1-AA team or didn't have a QB look good enough to be named the starter.

I'm not saying that impressions from the spring should make someone a true believer in anyone or anything regarding the football program.

What I am saying is that things are more positive this spring than in recent years. There's a good chance that means that things are improving with our football program.

rosstr probably didn't...

1. Go to the game
2. Watch the game

Sounds like skill positions are good but OL and DL need more strength? Good to hear bono played well and the back up QB is better than expected.

Basically everything has to go right to get six wins. Not very likely.

With that OL Secondary, and DL? Um, no. Not very likely.

I see us once again showing an occasional flash on offense. Having a defense that gets in the way a little. Followed by being completely routed in the 4th quarter if not the 2nd half.

I hope were both wrong.

Oh yeah, both lines were missing a bunch of players.

Everybody on the lines who was participating ---and hopefully those who weren't due to injury or academics---will have 3 more months of coached S&C work and no classes for distraction. There was lots of experimentation and position-shifting on both lines, that's what spring ball is for, in part. Looking forward to a bunch of players stepping up in fall camp.

Stop with the dumb excuses. The DL was missing a couple key players and the OL was missing one. Expecting all three to make it back by fall with no issues is wishful thinking at best. You and Wizzer must think minor miracles happen in three months time.

Translation:
I was pissed that Mac was hired. I was pissed at his choice of assistant coaches. I will bag on every thing possible about the team until the next regime arrives.

Our OL problems aren't a secret around here and they definitely won't be a secret to our opponents.

Teams are going to speed rush Nembot until he proves he can consistently stop it. They did the same last year and he never did, expect more of the same.

If Mustoe is the other starting OT expect teams to figure out his weaknesses and attack those as well, if it is Irwin at the minimum they will take advantage of his inexperience at the position. Krabb is a good lineman but his natural position is inside, put him at LT and teams will make him prove he can play on the edge.

Inside we see the same story. If Krabb is starting inside that gives us on solid inside lineman and Munyer who is experienced but hasn't exactly dominated so far in his career. Everybody else will be at a minimum inexperienced and likely have other weaknesses to exploit as well.

Our OL will be the weakest position group on the team which is made worse by the fact that outside of QB it is the hardest one to cover up. And that is if everyone stays healthy.

This is the time of year when it is easy to be optimistic and look for sunshine and happy faces but this is an OL that failed to dominate in a situation that was set up for them to do just that, and they were playing our depleted DL. Not exactly USC or Oregon or Stanford type talent for opposition.

Disagree.

CSU
Umass
Hawaii
Cal
OSU
Utah

None of those would be a decent sized upset. The three PAC 12 lines will be small and we'll be favored in those first three listed.

We should have been a 3 win team last year without the flood. do ein the first three and then beat Cal...on the road. Not proven we can do that. Also have to hope we get better but Cal doesn't. OSU here, great WR gone, but still a tough game. Utah..once again, hope we get better and they don't.

Trust me, I'd love to have 6 before Utah even comes here. Hope it happens. All comes down to can we get better and the others...can they stand pat or regress?

We should have been a 3 win team last year without the flood. do ein the first three and then beat Cal...on the road. Not proven we can do that. Also have to hope we get better but Cal doesn't. OSU here, great WR gone, but still a tough game. Utah..once again, hope we get better and they don't.

Trust me, I'd love to have 6 before Utah even comes here. Hope it happens. All comes down to can we get better and the others...can they stand pat or regress?
We'll see about Cal. They had a lot of injuries last year, but that program sounds like a bit of a dumpster fire at this point. My point was that it wouldn't take a decent sized upset to get to six wins, but it would require us to win all the winnable games. All the Utah games we've played have been very close and I don't see that changing. Willingham is on the hot seat this year to so we'll see what that program does with another new OC. OSU lost a lot and while they have better talent, I'm not sure it's so much better to where its not a game we can win at home.

I'm at 5 wins, 6 if our OL is better than most think it will. We'll need Fields to step up right away, same with Walker but I think our WR core is pretty good. There's no PRich there, but I still think it can be pretty good. Bobo looks very solid and Spruce is damn good. Walker took a big step forward after Spring Break as well and we need his speed. Sefo looked like he continued to improve as the season went on and I expect that'll continue through the fall. Our offense will be inconsistent at times because of the youth and potential OL problems, but I think it has a chance to be decent if we stay healthy. I think our defense will be pretty good for reasons discussed too many times this early.

Finally got to watch the whole game on DVR tonight. My thoughts:

Akhello will be very good someday. He committed some penalties today, but also was aggressive and he is long and athletic. Wow. He more than "flashed".

WR's were having some difficulty getting separation, which has been my concern, and is still a big concern.
Bobo is solid, but not explosive. He got behind a couple guys, but they were non-scholarship guys.
Walker looks like a guy who could really help out. Needs to learn to catch ball at highest point. Shows real speed though.

O-Line issues rehashed by others. Big concern still. The real young ones seemed to not trip on their dicks too bad.

Would love to see a post-spring depth chart.

We've heard this party line for 8 straight years. Let me know when McIntyre actually beats out a pac12 school for a few recruits, then we can start talking.

uve3epeh.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree with most of what's been said. But one thing is like to add that impressed me, which I've been dying for for years, was the short yardage play of the Full Backs. They finally got involved and picked up 1st downs and touchdowns with 1-2 yards to go. Those situations have been killing us for years!!!

Also, I watched the Stanford and Zona spring games...if it makes anyone feel any better about how CU looked in the spring game (mediocre run game, overthrown balls, sacks/INTs) - those guys looked like ass.

Back