What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Potential Coaching names...

it's sad that four years ago, cu was one of the hottest job openings in the country. now we are trying to choose from a bunch of assistant coaches that i haven't even heard of. thanks a lot, hawkins :cry:

Also the possibility of Gary Kubiak if he gets let go by the Texans

The loss tonight can only help then. Kubes woule be interesting for sure! Only problem is we would have to wait till about the first week in January to see if he is available though.

it's sad that four years ago, cu was one of the hottest job openings in the country. now we are trying to choose from a bunch of assistant coaches that i haven't even heard of. thanks a lot, hawkins :cry:

Come on, it is all Hawkins fault? Perhaps CU was not as hot of a job opening as it appears? I think there is plenty of blame to go around: Betsy Hoffman, Boulder DA, Katie, former ADs that didn't raise money, CU academic community that could care less about football, Gary Barnett, Rick Neuheisel, etc

I added Ron Vanderlinden. Saw someone throw out his name on Netbuffs.

I think that is an interesting idea...I know he struggled at Maryland but did well as DC at NW and is noted as a great recruiter. Recruiting to Northwestern had to overcome academic restrictions.
He recruited me. I really like Ron VanderLinden. Great guy.

Then learn more about NCAA football being played outside of Colorado.

Bill McCartney came here from being an assistant coach.

4 years ago several of the other candidates were assistants/coordinators. Maybe that would have been the better route.

Just because someone is an assistant coach doesn't mean all they do is fetch coffee for the HC they work for.

How do you think most HC's got to be HCs in the first place?

Then learn more about NCAA football being played outside of Colorado.

Bill McCartney came here from being an assistant coach.

4 years ago several of the other candidates were assistants/coordinators. Maybe that would have been the better route.

Just because someone is an assistant coach doesn't mean all they do is fetch coffee for the HC they work for.

How do you think most HC's got to be HCs in the first place?

i was exaggerating about not knowing who the people on that list were. most bcs schools hire coordinators from other bcs schools to be their head coach, not position coaches. being the defensive coordinator at michigan under schembechler is more prestigious than being a runningbacks coach, for example

Bottom line...at the time DH was a good hire and, unfortunately, his "style" doesn't (and will not) fit in major CFB. Turner Gill would be a great hire even though he is a former cornholer. It is my understanding that he is pretty upset that he was passed up by the fuskers for Pelini and I would like to see him get fired up and roll the buffs over the little red patsies.

We need an offensive minded coach that can recruit in TX, OK, and CA without gimmicks. The option is a gimmick and I would much prefer we step up to the caliber of Texas, KU last year, Mizzou last year, OSU, etc...Bring the O back to CO. I just want a leader who knows modern football and doesn't rely on "personnel groupings" and other stupid-ass ideas. A believer in sound, mistake free football with the ability to actually make adjustments when needed and abandon the pre-game strategy when it clearly isn't working.

Bottom line...at the time DH was a good hire and, unfortunately, his "style" doesn't (and will not) fit in major CFB. Turner Gill would be a great hire even though he is a former cornholer. It is my understanding that he is pretty upset that he was passed up by the fuskers for Pelini and I would like to see him get fired up and roll the buffs over the little red patsies.

We need an offensive minded coach that can recruit in TX, OK, and CA without gimmicks. The option is a gimmick and I would much prefer we step up to the caliber of Texas, KU last year, Mizzou last year, OSU, etc...Bring the O back to CO. I just want a leader who knows modern football and doesn't rely on "personnel groupings" and other stupid-ass ideas. A believer in sound, mistake free football with the ability to actually make adjustments when needed and abandon the pre-game strategy when it clearly isn't working.

Kevin Sumlin:thumbsup:

He recruited me. I really like Ron VanderLinden. Great guy.

I realize you're probably biased towards him, but what did you think the issues were at Maryland for him? You think if he was given a couple more years he'd have had them in the Orange Bowl like Friedgen did?

But his winning percentage was absurd!

Seriously though, talk about a fall from grace. What'd he win, his first 30 games or something? Now he's going to start up some program. At least Hawk will always have the WAC.

:lol: And the air raid is not? :rolleyes:

If you want to recruit TX, OK, and CA, you'd better have some kind of an angle. Otherwise, those kids are going to UT, OU, and USC. During Mac's heyday, OU was on probation. We pulled kids out of CA to run the option offense who weren't a good fit for 'modern' offenses. We could pry kids out of Texas because the SWAC sucked out loud.

We could recruit the defensive side of the ball because we nabbed Shembechler's Defensive Coordinator. (Another gimmick) We won because of that defense. If our offense could manage 3 touchdowns on any given Saturday, we were pretty much a stone cold lock.

We need a BIG gimmick. We need a coach with a private jet and a pipeline to recording studios so all these little wannabe rappers can jump start their 'careers' outside of football. We need Mike Shanahan riding a ****ing unicorn. We need a live 1000 lb bison running the field before games.

P.T. Barnum for A.D.!!!

Last edited:
I realize you're probably biased towards him, but what did you think the issues were at Maryland for him? You think if he was given a couple more years he'd have had them in the Orange Bowl like Friedgen did?
To be honest, I really haven't followed him much since he left Maryland. I know he was a quality guy, my Mom liked him and he talked me out of Nebraska, Washington and Stanford. I do know that he coached for Joe Pa for many years and was the linebacker coach there (?). He knows Colorado, is an old Michigan guy, I believe and is from the MacCartney coaching tree. Also has a ton of experience and I believe he would be able to bring in good Assistants.

Yeah, he certainly has the pedigree. It's too bad how quick we are to judge coaches anymore. That one chance they get at a HC job can be the difference between whether or not they get another shot. I mean if you ignore the Maryland years, the guy is an overly qualified candidate. Part of me wants to think, screw the Maryland issue that school can't win in football for a sustained period. Then the other part of me thinks, why hire a previous failure? It sucks, but it's the perception of coaches anymore. I wonder how many great coaches failed in their first go around as a HC only to get another chance to make their mark.

To be honest, I really haven't followed him much since he left Maryland. I know he was a quality guy, my Mom liked him and he talked me out of Nebraska, Washington and Stanford. I do know that he coached for Joe Pa for many years and was the linebacker coach there (?). He knows Colorado, is an old Michigan guy, I believe and is from the MacCartney coaching tree. Also has a ton of experience and I believe he would be able to bring in good Assistants.

Barnett was really upset with what happened to Vanderlinden at Maryland. He is still on Penn State's staff as a Linebacker coach. I honestly don't believe he would be a bad choice.

Barnett was really upset with what happened to Vanderlinden at Maryland. He is still on Penn State's staff as a Linebacker coach. I honestly don't believe he would be a bad choice.

Was Gary upset enough to be Vanderlinden's OC if he gets hired at CU?

Vanderlinden ended up in a very tough situation at UMD. The Ravens had just arrived and the expectations got higher as we became a Pro football state once again.

His problem is the fact that he came in with the same claims of a Weis at Notre Dame claiming that being average isn't good enough. But Vanderlinden guranteed an ACC Title and a National Championship. The 5 game losing streak to end the 99' season did him in to the fanbase. Then when he dropped the season finale at home to Georgia Tech which would've made them bowl eligible, he had to go. Yow bit the bullet and fired him although he had 4 years left on his contract, it was a tough call but the fans wanted it.

He also didn't help himself after he left UMD, not sure if you guys know that he blamed the players for him being fired claiming they didn't work as hard for him as they did for Ralph. He whined about it to the media during Ralph's first 2 years with Vanderlinden's players when they won the ACC.

I nominate the Allbuffs NCAA 2010 League members and a keg of Fat Tire :thumbsup:

He is still on Penn State's staff as a Linebacker coach. I honestly don't believe he would be a bad choice.

He'd be a bad choice from what I remember from him at Maryland. It would be a hire that would piss off a lot of people if Hawk was replaced for Vanderlinden who was Maryland's version of Dan Hawkins.

There is no question that he is a good guy, and he can sell a program in the dumps to talented kids. The problem is that he is one of those people who sets high expectations for himself and did so to the fans, demands better from everyone, and then doesn't produce on Saturday.

Maybe hes changed, but the fact hes not received any opportunities since then leads me to believe that he hasn't.

He'd be a bad choice from what I remember from him at Maryland. It would be a hire that would piss off a lot of people if Hawk was replaced for Vanderlinden who was Maryland's version of Dan Hawkins.

There is no question that he is a good guy, and he can sell a program in the dumps to talented kids. The problem is that he is one of those people who sets high expectations for himself and did so to the fans, demands better from everyone, and then doesn't produce on Saturday.

Maybe hes changed, but the fact hes not received any opportunities since then leads me to believe that he hasn't.

Good forbid a man should be allowed to learn from his mistakes.

According to his wiki page he was GBs DC at NW when they went for all the marbles in 1995. Im gonna have to go with upgrade based on our current position in the college football world.

Back