What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Power 5 Preseason Predictions

The program that's kind of my dark horse this year is Tennessee. I don't think they will quite get over the hump, but I think they'll pull some upsets and be more competitive in certain losses than most folks expected. Similar in the SEC is Texas A&M. I think both will show that they're on the cusp in their respective divisions this season.

fwiw, I picked Florida in the SEC East. But I think they'll lose to Miami and get through on tiebreakers by beating Georgia as they both finish 6-2 in conference play. I see Tennessee at 4-4, maybe even 5-3, with a clean non-conference record and firmly in the Top 25 ahead of bowl games. (UT isn't losing to Georgia State, BYU, Chattanooga or UAB in Knoxville.)

Thanks, I see it is 7 at William Hill as well.....All the better. Easy money. First time HC in Manny Diaz vs The second best coach in the SEC (Sorry Jimbo.)

Yeah if Hawaii can score first AZ will be chasing it all day. I went to the Army/UH game in West Point last year. Knights just squeaked by them. 4,900 mile road trip for UH.

Are Houston that bad? Oklahoma are giving 26.5 in some places. I thought Houston had some players.

UMASS stink or I would take them to beat Rutgers straight up. Rutgers QB situation is a mess. Some grad transfer from Texas Tech can't beat out that terrible Sitkowski guy yet.

Dumb question for anyone-Is Army (for New Year's Six purposes) considered a Group of 5 team?

Hawaii did that to CSU LY-They were up 14-0 before CSU showed signs of life...I haven't seen anything on Oddsshark as far as Houston/OU, but my initial feeling on that one is to stay away from it. I want to see Jalen Hurts in that offense before I start drinking OU kool-aid. What about South Alabama@Nubs? 32-35 is a HUGE number of points-and probably too many IMO. Okie Lite is giving 15.5 in Corvallis on 8/30-I'm going to take that and the over. I think the Rodents will be better, but the Mullet should have his way with them. May take BYU and a TD against Utah-I think 7's too much there too.

Good call on Tennessee @Buffnik-I might be a little biased as my GF is a Vol, but I've got the same take on them.

The program that's kind of my dark horse this year is Tennessee. I don't think they will quite get over the hump, but I think they'll pull some upsets and be more competitive in certain losses than most folks expected. Similar in the SEC is Texas A&M. I think both will show that they're on the cusp in their respective divisions this season.

fwiw, I picked Florida in the SEC East. But I think they'll lose to Miami and get through on tiebreakers by beating Georgia as they both finish 6-2 in conference play. I see Tennessee at 4-4, maybe even 5-3, with a clean non-conference record and firmly in the Top 25 ahead of bowl games. (UT isn't losing to Georgia State, BYU, Chattanooga or UAB in Knoxville.)

A&M would be getting more preseason love if their schedule did not have road trips to Clemson, Georgia, and LSU. They get Auburn, Bama, and Miss State at home.

agree with some others that OU-Houston is a big big line. UH beat OU and Baker Mayfield in the @UH part of that home-home.....maybe the big line is Holgerson never beat OU at WVU (?) but seems like an awful lot to me. I also will have to take a "show me" attitude to Hurts. I think they'll win 10 games and be a top 10 type team but lot of ?'s on D after last years world-historical sieve....those guys were terrible.....and i just can't make myself see Hurts making the same kinds of 3rd and long throws Mayfield and Murray have the last 3 seasons. busting into the LB zone on QB draws or scrambles....sure, but not that tough out-route at the sticks or even the deep ball touch.

and think the highly Rational OU fans will put a lot of pressure on Hurts to be impossibly good? if he doesn't score on every play.....[skoal spit]....he's no good.

if i had to bet that game, i'd take UH + for sure.

my secret reservation about OU is also that Riley is maybe exactly the same record almost as Rick Neuheisel after two years. inherited a different set of crazy talented teams (leaving aside that what Neu got from Mac was *a lot* more balanced and NFL ready at a lot of positions....and then showed himself to be the mostly .500 coach he was the rest of his career after that)......than "Merry Christmas, Lincoln".....from Bob Stoops when summer spot retires leaving pimple-faced HCLR Baker Mayfield in a 5th year petition senior season. that was really nice of Santa Bob. Leaving him Mike Stoops on some kind of retainer, maybe not so good.

edit: some here will remember my step-dad is an OU guy, donor type. and his brother played for OU in the late 60's/early 70's. good guy my step-d.....but i get a lot more of their stuff than i might choose.

Everybody in that league has questions I think-OU at QB, Texas has theirs, and ISU is probably good enough to beat Oklahoma or Texas and win 8-9 games.........but they're a distant third. Same with TCU.

OU has questions at QB? They have a guy who’s lost one game as a starter and the best QB guru in college football. That seems like they have first world problems.

I think people are sleeping on Washington too much. They're schedule sets up fairly well. They get Utah, USC, Wash St and Oregon at home. They only have 4 Pac road trips, and their OOC schedule is soft.

OU has questions at QB? They have a guy who’s lost one game as a starter and the best QB guru in college football. That seems like they have first world problems.

They'll win 10-but you don't think Hurts in an Air Raid O seems like something you'd want to see to believe?

I think people are sleeping on Washington too much. They're schedule sets up fairly well. They get Utah, USC, Wash St and Oregon at home. They only have 4 Pac road trips, and their OOC schedule is soft.

Yeah, seems like an 11-1 team waiting to happen.

They'll win 10-but you don't think Hurts in an Air Raid O seems like something you'd want to see to believe?

The thing about Riley is that he’s made his system Air Raid plus a competent run game. I think Hurts will get lots of open looks given his abilities in the run game. He’s a winner and is getting A+ QB coaching. As long as their defense improves over last year, I trust Hurts to win 11+ and for OU to win the B12 again.

The thing about Riley is that he’s made his system Air Raid plus a competent run game. I think Hurts will get lots of open looks given his abilities in the run game. He’s a winner and is getting A+ QB coaching. As long as their defense improves over last year, I trust Hurts to win 11+ and for OU to win the B12 again.

I agree with you on this-I think Riley is the best offensive mind in the sport, and he's lightyears ahead of any playcaller Hurts had in Tuscaloosa. I don't think Hurts is in the class of the last two kids they've had play QB, and I think that's why OU could take a slight step back-especially given the change at DC (Grinch is a damn good DC, but he's going to take a year or two to fix that unit-especially given they were dead last in the country in pass defense in 2018 and they're bringing back 10 starters there......which might not be a good thing). I think Texas is a bit safer as a conference champion right now and 4th team in the CFP (I like Herman and Ehlinger a lot), but who knows?

I agree with you on this-I think Riley is the best offensive mind in the sport, and he's lightyears ahead of any playcaller Hurts had in Tuscaloosa. I don't think Hurts is in the class of the last two kids they've had play QB, and I think that's why OU could take a slight step back-especially given the change at DC (Grinch is a damn good DC, but he's going to take a year or two to fix that unit-especially given they were dead last in the country in pass defense in 2018 and they're bringing back 10 starters there......which might not be a good thing). I think Texas is a bit safer as a conference champion right now and 4th team in the CFP (I like Herman and Ehlinger a lot), but who knows?

I am shorting Texas big time. I think they’re the Miami of this season. They’re due for a big regression IMO. We’ll see. That’s why the games are fun.

They lost a lot, but if they ended up upgrading the QB position then they could have a monster season. Tons of talent, exceptional coaching, winning culture and a decent schedule.
I just think they deserve the benefit of the doubt, especially on defense. They've been #1 in scoring and total defense in the conference for 4_straight_years. That's insane. I bet most programs haven't done both of those in the same season even once. At some point teams just reload, especially the ones with great coaches.

Week 2 in general is ****ing awesome:

Colorado vs Nebraska
Texas vs LSU
Clemson vs Texas A&M
West Virginia vs Missouri
Stanford vs USC
Cal vs Washington
Cincy vs Ohio State
BYU vs Tennessee
Army vs Michigan

Anytime the ****ing Nubs are on the sideline across from us...........that's the only game that matters.

Texas-LSU is going to be a hell of a game though

Michigan at +250 to make the playoff on Bovada......Hmmmmmmm.
I took them to make the playoff before last season and thought I had it in the bag with how Ohio state was playing down the stretch and how nasty that Michigan defense was. Still shocked how that last game turned out

I took them to make the playoff before last season and thought I had it in the bag with how Ohio state was playing down the stretch and how nasty that Michigan defense was. Still shocked how that last game turned out
That game shocked me. Very similar to CU-Nebraska in 2001 in a lot of ways.

Peterson has upgraded recruiting the past ~3 classes too. Thirty-four 4* recruits in the '17, 18', 19 classes that will be making their way onto the field.

Yep, they're now up to over 50% of the roster being former 4 star guys, which is nuts. That is elite.

Texas usually starts the season by dropping an OOC game. Right around the Oklahoma game in mid-October is when they start playing decent football. 2012 was thier last decent September. I'll take LSU thank you very much.

Texas usually starts the season by dropping an OOC game. Right around the Oklahoma game in mid-October is when they start playing decent football. 2012 was thier last decent September. I'll take LSU thank you very much.

I can't blast them for losing to Notre Dame (even if they sleepwalked through the game), but you're right on-They've lost out of conference games to teams like BYU (twice), Maryland (twice), Cal, and Ole Miss since then. They don't have that kind of OOC game TY-they're playing LSU, LA Tech, and Rice. I still think they're going to lose to LSU or Oklahoma (RRS only), and I think the only other place they'll struggle is @ISU.

Back