What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Predictions for RMS

I suspect you're wrong.

When I'm wrong I'm wrong.

http://www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=3073

Canada has us beat.

And look at this ducks man region:

tumblr_l6zmxiUWiQ1qcupmyo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
The REAL question here is: How is CSewe going to stop that juggernaut known as the North Dakota State Bison???? They shouldn't worry about the CU game. Sparkles is going to need to pull a rabbit out of his hat to gameplan the Bison.

For those worried about how the Buffs will fare against the Rams with a new quarterback in the season opener, here are the stats for the last four CU quarterbacks who made their first career start against CSU in the season opener (Kordell Stewart's debut was in Boulder; the other three games were in Denver):

1992 Kordell Stewart (So.) W 37-17 9-21, 0 td rushing, 36-21-1, 409, 4 td passing
1998 Mike Moschetti (Jr.) W 42-14 5-13, 0 td rushing, 32-21-0, 257, 3 td passing
2003 Joel Klatt (So.) W 42-35 14-(-10), 0 td rushing, 34-21-0, 402, 4 td passing
2007 Cody Hawkins (Fr.-RS) W 31-28(OT) 2- 3, 0 td rushing, 31-18-1, 201, 2 td passing

It does not appear that CSU does all that well when Colorado trots out a new quarterback for their first career start.

Just sayin' ....

Ramnation on the other hand is like a huge orgy. Especially if the topic is anything CU related.

Is it right to call anything that involves the 12 posters they have huge. The CU topic does draw them all out but there arent' enough to call it huge.

Kind of like when they get a huge crowd out to a game that exceeds 20,000?

The REAL question here is: How is CSewe going to stop that juggernaut known as the North Dakota State Bison???? They shouldn't worry about the CU game. Sparkles is going to need to pull a rabbit out of his hat to gameplan the Bison.

The Bison could hang half a hun if they wanted. They can call the score. There will be more NDSU fans in attendence at Hughes than CSU fans. It will practically be a home game for NDSU. CSU's stadium will be Minot Southwest, with more green and gold on the visiting side.

All 95% of CSU's returning starters won't know what hit them.

What's the opening line going to be? NDSU -45?

Those rammies had better stretch really, really good before that game.

...or so I've heard.

This conversation will be repeated for basketball. CSU almost has a chance for that game, unfortunately for them, it is on our home court and CU will not miss a billion FT's again.

I don't know much background on this game. Why was the RMS moved to Denver in the first place? I'm guessing for neutrality purposes or greater seating/revenue etc? Does it even sell out? How are the proceeds divided between the schools? From what I have read here, it sounds like a drag and is a heavily policed event. Why wouldn't the game have been a home and home series as long as it existed? Thanks in advance.

I don't know much background on this game. Why was the RMS moved to Denver in the first place? I'm guessing for neutrality purposes or greater seating/revenue etc? Does it even sell out? How are the proceeds divided between the schools? From what I have read here, it sounds like a drag and is a heavily policed event. Why wouldn't the game have been a home and home series as long as it existed? Thanks in advance.

At one point it looked like CSU had a legit program. They were being consistently ranked in the top 25 and being mentioned as the equivelent of a BCS buster (this was just prior to the BCS.) They also had a lot of pull in the Colorado statehouse and managed through some backroom politics to get the game forced on CU.

The CU AD had a preference to play the games on campus, at least the CU home games. CSU though has a pathetic excuse for a stadium that at that time was worse with a seating capacity of about 30k (I won't get into the other problems with the stadium.) It was then proposed to play at least some of the games in the old Mile High Stadium where the Broncos played. The first few games when the idea was new either sold out or came close generating a lot of revenue. In addition with both teams being fairly prominent in the standings/rankings they also managed to get solid interest from TV, especially since it was an early season game.

Since then both teams have fallen on hard times, CU with the end of the Barnett era leading into the Hawkins disaster and CSU reverting to being the real CSU which is one of the losingest D1 college football programs of all time. CSU has occasionally won but for the most part CU has dominated and as the overall interest from CSU fans has dropped in their program they have not drawn well to Denver either. For CU's part the novelty wore off a long time ago and many fans would rather save their time and money for more meaningful games in Boulder. The gestapolike tactics of the police and event staff in Denver haven't helped either.

CU would much rather play in Boulder. It is a better stadium environment, even moreso now that Mile High/Investco/SportsAuthority stadium is now has huge empty sections for the game. CSU still wants it in Denver because they a) think it gets the game in front of their alumni reminding them that they actually do have a football team and b) think they can still generate a bigger payday in Denver and c) want to stick it to CU by denying them a home game while not having to embarass themselves by holding it in their little league stadium on their home years.

In short, there was political pressure to have the game and CU needed the extra money of having it held in Denver during "away" years as opposed to playing in Hughes. For whatever reason, CU was unable to pull off having its home games at Folsom and its away games at Mile High for the series. Now that the revenue model has changed and we have 9 conference games instead of 8, this neutral game is an albatross for us until 2020.

LMAO, what makes a lamb fan think they have a good chance against a team that has beaten them by an average of 2 td's per game the last 5 years? PLus the rams have a new unproven headcoach and a new QB. CSU historically struggles against CU with QB debuts, while CU has had better luck against CSU with new QB debuts (Moschetti, Klatt etc,).

The talent gap is widening by the year as well as the outcome of the game (in CU's favor of course).

Buffs 34 Rams 10

ps, how did that CSU O-line fare in the spring game? You guys better get some more random students to block for your stud QB whoever that is.

Sorry to sound like a dick, but it is reality.

Last edited:
In short, there was political pressure to have the game and CU needed the extra money of having it held in Denver during "away" years as opposed to playing in Hughes. For whatever reason, CU was unable to pull off having its home games at Folsom and its away games at Mile High for the series. Now that the revenue model has changed and we have 9 conference games instead of 8, this neutral game is an albatross for us until 2020.

images

No talent? We have a lot of talent. Fairchild was a good recruiter, and bad game coach.

Someone tell me how CU wins this game with no returning starters. We have 20+ returning starters

No, you don't have talent, you really don't.

The talent gap is night and day. Look at recruiting rankings

I am dumbfounded you ram fans even think you're as talented as CU.

the revenue is not split evenly. CU gets the bigger share. basically, the reason the game is played in denver is that CU won't waste a road game to such a small stadium as csu's. we don't meet our revenue targets because the ****hole they play in isn't bcs quality. so, the only way the series works is if they can figure a way to pump up the revenue and that means either at CU or at invesco.

Interesting responses. Thank you for those and the history behind it all. I guess my remaining questions center on financing. I understand contractual obligations to Denver but wouldn't both schools benefit from a home and home now given the "new world" economic dynamics? Couldn't the Denver game contract be broken with minimal financial impact to both schools? Would CSU go for a game against CU at their house these days? Is that a real holdup? I sense CU would relish this home and home series. What are the obstacles to changing this prior to 2020?

Having followed college football for years, it always seemed like a great neutralizer to the talents of the opposing team was home field advantage and emotions. It seems like a home and home should make everyone happy. Christ...this game could be on the PAC 12 network and everyone would benefit. Am I missing something here?

Post edit: I took so long that some posts occurred while I typed...sorry

Last edited:
Interesting responses. Thank you for those and the history behind it all. I guess my remaining questions center on financing. I understand contractual obligations to Denver but wouldn't both schools benefit from a home and home now given the "new world" economic dynamics? Couldn't the Denver game contract be broken with minimal financial impact to both schools? Would CSU go for a game against CU at their house these days? Is that a real holdup? I sense CU would relish this home and home series. What are the obstacles to changing this prior to 2012?

Having followed college football for years, it always seemed like a great neutralizer to the talents of the opposing team was home field advantage and emotions. It seems like a home and home should make everyone happy. Christ...this game could be on the PAC 12 network and everyone would benefit. Am I missing something here?

see my post above.

in the last version of the series, we insisted to play our homes games at home and they couldn't meet the revenue minimums so they were "forced" to play their home games at mile high. it is political, of course, but the biggest problem is that they are bush league.

Hughes is entirely unsuitable for this game. It is a joke of a stadium. Seats about 35k, has one puny entrance road. Just no chance of generating the revenue there that CSU needs.

For CSU every dollar is critical. CU gets its share of the PAC 12 media contract. CU also averages about twice as many paying fans as CSU per home game and charges about twice as much per average ticket. CSU is thus looking at about 1/4 the ticket revenue and their media revenue from the MWC is under $3 million a year. To them a difference of $200,000 is significant. I don't know the exact numbers but I would venture that the difference between playing in Denver or in Ft. Collins is much larger than $200.000 plus the exposure that they so desperately need is much higher in Denver.

So their stadium can't seat enough to generate worthwhile revenue...What is the buy out clause on this series then? It seems CU could schedule an opponent that pays the opt out for this annually and then some...no?

So their stadium can't seat enough to generate worthwhile revenue...What is the buy out clause on this series then? It seems CU could schedule an opponent that pays the opt out for this annually and then some...no?

This game is their superbowl. Their fans live for this game, win and they have a successfull season no matter what they do in their other games, lose and it is wait for next year since they don't pay attention to the rest of the schedule. I did grad school there and work with a bunch of CSU fans/alums.

Even when they were ranked they averaged less than 30k a game at home. A number of years ago when they were still contending for their conference title they played Cal at CSU when Cal was ranked #10. They couldn't draw 30k for that game.

Over the past few years their home attendance has steadily gone down. This last year they averaged less than 22k and for their last game, against their claimed rival Wyoming their own fans say they had less than 10,000 in the stadium including Wyo fans.

For all that they do have a lot of influence in the statehouse, that is why the contract exist in the first place and why it continues. I am convinced that the only way to make it go away is for CU to embarrass them enough on the field that they don't want to play anymore. That is hard though because their players also play the game of the season against CU knowing how important it is.

yeah I remember that game. We played sh*tty and still won:

[video=youtube;SgFohZMiQzw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgFohZMiQzw[/video]

Still...what would it cost you to cancel the game per year? Seems like that could be arranged rather easily given my limited knowledge of CSU contracts.

Back