What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Props to Oregon State

Regardless, it's now two weeks in a row where an injury to a key defensive player changed the second half. We need some more depth and we'd be looking at wins instead of close losses.

I forgot to include in my first post that it was a hell of a game. OSU is coached well and they played well. We definitely didn't have an answer to the TEs. Outside of the above mentioned and the calss/no-calls it was a tough game. I needed a few minutes to recompose myself after we let the win slip away. I hope we trounce them next time we play.

Does OSU have any history of pulling something like this before? I too am questioning the 'coincidence' of which players were involved.
I highly, highly doubt there was any intent or direction by the coaching staff for this thing.

Holy hell, guys. It was a questionable "targeting" call anyway. Guy made a block on a punt return, hit Gillam in the front, and led with his shoulder. Yes, it was a big hit. Nothing wrong with that. Only issue was that by leaving his feet he slid up on the hit and got Gillam in the head.

Based on the new rules, I guess it's a personal foul and refs may decide to boot the kid from the game because he left his feet and made contact with the head. But it was only a few years ago when that would have been considered a great football play and folks would be saying that Gillam needs to have his head on a swivel.

Holy hell, guys. It was a questionable "targeting" call anyway. Guy made a block on a punt return, hit Gillam in the front, and led with his shoulder. Yes, it was a big hit. Nothing wrong with that. Only issue was that by leaving his feet he slid up on the hit and got Gillam in the head.

Based on the new rules, I guess it's a personal foul and refs may decide to boot the kid from the game because he left his feet and made contact with the head. But it was only a few years ago when that would have been considered a great football play and folks would be saying that Gillam needs to have his head on a swivel.

Idk Nik. I just rewatched the 2nd half. It looked pretty intentional. You can see the kid track Gillam's helmet as he approached. He left his feet to maybe deliver his shoulder into the head, vs helmet to helmet, but it looks like he absolutely meant to hit Gillam above the shoulder.

Honestly, I don't blame anyone. It was just frustrating to lose our best LB on a personal foul on a frigging special teams play! Doubly frustrating that Addison has had such a rough year anyway.

Honestly, I don't blame anyone. It was just frustrating to lose our best LB on a personal foul on a frigging special teams play! Doubly frustrating that Addison has had such a rough year anyway.

Just shows have far we still have to go that Gillam is out there on punt coverage teams.

On teams with normal depth you have a second or third string LB or safety taking his spot and absorbing that blow. We don't have enough quality athletes yet to field normal STs without risking key starters.

I hear you. That's why I focused on Riley and Mannion. On the cheap shot, Riley and his coaches didn't try at all to argue with the refs. That's rare and I appreciated that they saw it, agreed with it, accepted it and moved on. It really is the model coaching staff.

That specifically made me wonder if it may have been orchestrated. Admittedly, homer thinking.

Idk Nik. I just rewatched the 2nd half. It looked pretty intentional. You can see the kid track Gillam's helmet as he approached. He left his feet to maybe deliver his shoulder into the head, vs helmet to helmet, but it looks like he absolutely meant to hit Gillam above the shoulder.

I was at a family function and the game was on. My uncle, a nub, thought it was intentional. I cannot see the play without seeing it as dirty.

Nik's head on a swivel comment comes from football pre-CTE.

Didn't see it so can't speak on it. However **** them twice. You strap it up, expect to get hit. You get told to keep your head on a swivel for a reason. Special teams are a very good example for that. Still, **** the Beavers, I'm sure Riley is a good man but do I really care? Uh no I don't. Any team we line up against is the enemy. I'm not suggesting we should go the U route, but some swag wouldn't hurt. We'll shake your hand after the game, not during.

I was at a family function and the game was on. My uncle, a nub, thought it was intentional. I cannot see the play without seeing it as dirty.

Nik's head on a swivel comment comes from football pre-CTE.

Players should still always be aware of what is happening around them.

At the same time the rules are clear, an clear for a very good reason. You simply cannot go to another players head. It isn't any different than grabbing a face mask. The rule exist to protect players from serious, long-term injury.

Intentional or not the OSU player choose to do something that everyone knows not to do. That makes it a cheap shot.

Players should still always be aware of what is happening around them.

Of course. My comment was more to the "that's football" type reasoning. I have changed my opinion on this very issue (thanks?) in part to the NFL players killing themselves but leaving their brains untouched for research.

The good thing about that play was the player was thrown out of the game. That is a rule change that might actually change the way players play the game.

Of course. My comment was more to the "that's football" type reasoning. I have changed my opinion on this very issue (thanks?) in part to the NFL players killing themselves but leaving their brains untouched for research.

The good thing about that play was the player was thrown out of the game. That is a rule change that might actually change the way players play the game.

Yes, and the game is so fast with people coming from every direction that while you can coach awareness you can't have 100% awareness.

You are right about the reasoning issue. We used to allow chop blocks (my knees are an example of why we don't any more,) head slaps, no fair catch, no protection for a sliding QB, and a bunch of other things.

The game is violent, brutal, and dangerous even when played clean. My point is that intentional or not the kind of play that knocked Gillam out of the game can simply not be made by the guy that hit him.

I can live with bad knees, I figure they took me out of the game early enough that I didn't ruin my back like most big guys end up with. The CTE issue is much scarier. We are seeing former players lose their ability to work, to maintain family and friendships, to even effectively communicate due to head injuries.

We have to coach players not to hit in the head just like we coach guys not to grab the face mask. We have to be willing to enforce those rules for player safety.

Football will always be dangerous but if we don't take charge of the excessively dangerous elements of the game then the game itself is in danger because others will take charge.

Back