What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Props to the Geology Prof!

We don't know how the comment was made. It might have been a joke, albeit a very poorly timed and worded one. Remember, we're dealing with academics here. They're not exactly known for their senses of humor.

I'd be willing to bet $100.00 that professor won't EVER tell him or any player "good game" even when they win. He needs to be called on the carpet for that! Especially saying it in front of the students in that class. :cry:

and people that are overly sensitive are sometimes refered to as pussies. It didn;t sound to me like he was offended at all. And, since nobody was there as witness, i think the judgement can be left to him as to whether or not it was offensive. What is he going to argue. So if our offense is explosive and he says that seeing old faithful is like watching the CU offense relentlessy post points on the board...would that be inappropriate in class?

I'm not sure it'd be well received if Marcus would've said to him just randomly in class "hey prof----can we watch paint dry, geology sucks ass. As a teacher of it, explain that to us?" Doubt prof would have chuckled.
And Im not sure how you didnt get that he was offended. Said it was inappropriate, brought it up in the Denver Post, :confused:
And no, I don think complimenting MB would have been inappropriate.:rolleyes: If you cant get the difference there, im not sure theres a point to our disagreement. Marcus's hypothetical quote probably wouldve been more well received if he had said "Hey professor--just wanted to let you know geology is a real pleasure and interesting to me. Comment on that" See a difference?

I'm not sure it'd be well received if Marcus would've said to him just randomly in class "hey prof----can we watch paint dry, geology sucks ass. As a teacher of it, explain that to us?" Doubt prof would have chuckled.
And Im not sure how you didnt get that he was offended. Said it was inappropriate, brought it up in the Denver Post, :confused:
And no, I don think complimenting MB would have been inappropriate.:rolleyes: If you cant get the difference there, im not sure theres a point to our disagreement. Marcus's hypothetical quote probably wouldve been more well received if he had said "Hey professor--just wanted to let you know geology is a real pleasure and interesting to me. Comment on that" See a difference?

My point is just that college football is a public event. In public events you get praise for success and criticism for failure. Coddling does nothing for anybody except breed generations of sensitive people that accept mediocrity. My new proposal is that we stop keeping score in college football since we are being embarassed on national TV by lousy teams. If he would have individually singled out HIS play, that is one thing. But to mention the team as a whole...come on.

And yet there are people on this website doing the same thing. He called out the team, not him individually. His assessment of the games seems pretty accurate to me...they looked bad, and he called out THE TEAM for looking bad. BJ was just a representative of that team available at the time of the comment. nuff said.

A fan board is an appropriate forum for discussing the team and their struggles, that's the reason it exists. A geology classroom in front of the players classmates is not.
Players can ignore this board if they want to and are not put in a position where they have to defend themselves publicly.

It would be one thing if he chose to attend Hawk's press conference and was asked a couple tough questions about the team, but he shouldn't be expected to defend the team, no matter how good/bad they are, in a f-ing geology class.

Alright---thats a fair point, just think its an incorrect one:smile2:. As a general rule, I do think we're becoming a "pussy-fied" nation. And that extends to football. EVERYTHING that is a hard hit seems to be classified as illegal, especially as it pertains to QB's. (agree to protect them in some instances, ie Cody, but, not EVERY hit).
I just dont think this is an example of being too sensitive. Agree to disagree.

A fan board is an appropriate forum for discussing the team and their struggles, that's the reason it exists. A geology classroom in front of the players classmates is not.
Players can ignore this board if they want to and are not put in a position where they have to defend themselves publicly.

It would be one thing if he chose to attend Hawk's press conference and was asked a couple tough questions about the team, but he shouldn't be expected to defend the team, no matter how good/bad they are, in a f-ing geology class.
:stupid:

Agreed. I'm just tired of the coddling and watching CFB turn in to the NFL. Its football, man.

On the same note, a couple stories:

My dad was just telling me that his wifes nephew is attending this new age school where they don't even give the kids grades because they don't want them to feel like anybody is better or worse than anybody else. what a fusking joke.

The mrs and I were at King Soopers the other day, and walking down the isle, some kid (3, maybe 4) sitting in the cart while his mom was eyeing up some canned goods...the little sumbitch throws a can of Tuna at the mrs hitting her in square in the ass (didn't hurt her, but that's not the point). Then, this lady proceeds to say to her son "Hey, you know it really hurts mommy's feelings when you do stuff like that." I about lost it.

God. I know. I'm SO the mom to yell, "WTF!" if one of my kids did that to me. Of course, they're older now, but still.

My dad was just telling me that his wifes nephew is attending this new age school where they don't even give the kids grades because they don't want them to feel like anybody is better or worse than anybody else. what a fusking joke.

The funny thing is that these kids have a hard time getting into college because the admissions offices don't know how good of a student they are.

The funny thing is that these kids have a hard time getting into college because the admissions offices don't know how good of a student they are.

The University of California at Santa Cruz only gave written evaluations (not letter grades) for quite some time. I've heard that recently you can request a letter grade if you'd like one.

The thing that REALLY pisses me off, and this hasn't been posted, is that the professor made Marcus stay after class and write 100 ****ing times, "We will not lose to Wyoming." I think that is just classless CRAP!

Man - talk radio this afternoon/evening was ALL OVER this topic.

To SD and any others regarding the taking of a joke:

I'm not on board with the second part of what the guy did. The joke about the football team is fine. If there's a player in the class who hears it maybe he'll squirm a little and give a nervous laugh but it's mostly harmless and not in bad taste. It was calling out Marcus in front of the entire class and asking him to explain why 100+ guys whose on-field product Marcus feels responsible for aren't getting it done and are an afterthought to an entire country of football fans. We're trying to support athletes who go to classes they'd rather skip, not scare them away.

Is Burton crying about this? He's a BMOC and is lapping it up when things are going well. Now he want's to run out of the class room. Geology professor is tougher than the Mizzou fullback.

One, the prof is an idot. Second, Marcus should not have said that stuff in an interview.

One, the prof is an idot. Second, Marcus should not have said that stuff in an interview.

Right. He could have just been vague and said his prof mentioned the team, or he could have said things have been tough for the team lately and left it at that. Now there's this story, which isn't so much a distraction to the team as it gives us one more sad football-related story to debate during the week. Don't we like athletes who let us into their world with these kinds of anecdotes, though?

The mrs and I were at King Soopers the other day, and walking down the isle, some kid (3, maybe 4) sitting in the cart while his mom was eyeing up some canned goods...the little sumbitch throws a can of Tuna at the mrs hitting her in square in the ass (didn't hurt her, but that's not the point). Then, this lady proceeds to say to her son "Hey, you know it really hurts mommy's feelings when you do stuff like that." I about lost it.

So was she supposed to smack the kid in the store?

Back