What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Public scrimmage Saturday 10-19

BOULDER - The University of Colorado men's basketball team will open its doors at the Coors Events Center this Saturday, Oct. 19 for an intra-squad scrimmage from 9-11 a.m.

The scrimmage is free and open to the public.

Fans can come and watch the 2013-2014 Buffaloes as they prepare for another exciting basketball season. The season opener is four weeks away with a showdown against nationally ranked Baylor, Nov. 8 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

The home opener is Sunday, Nov. 10 against UT Martin at 4 p.m.

On Saturday, the campus parking lots will be set up for the football game and fans are encouraged to walk over to Folsom Field at the conclusion of the basketball scrimmage to watch the Buffs take on undefeated Charleston Southern at noon.

Yes guys, please go ahead and get the sick bugs out of the way now, and avoid them in February and March.
Have we considered giving the team mono, flu, and other common bugs on purpose at this point of the year? :rofl:

Curious to see you guys play. Any possibility this game will be streamed or does that break rules? Have fun watching your team play, and hopefully no injuries!

Curious to see you guys play. Any possibility this game will be streamed or does that break rules? Have fun watching your team play, and hopefully no injuries!
no streaming, but I know rumblinbuff will be live tweeting and I'm sure we will have commentary on it.

Sounds good thanks! Interested to see Xavier Johnson and Josh Scott play this season. Really expecting Xavier to blow up this year. Still wish Sean Miller would have recruited him :bang:

no streaming, but I know rumblinbuff will be live tweeting and I'm sure we will have commentary on it.

If somebody wanted to ustream this from their phone and send me the link......I'd be ok with that. I'd also buy you cervezas at the Dark Horse before a game......

Was Miller present, did the verbal coincide at all? Announcement to the fans present or anything like that? Hope it was a good time for those who were there.

What a great day for CU sports! A public scrimmage, a commit and a W from the football team. I almost didn't attend the scrimmage this morning as I was incredibly hungover when I got up. Somehow I was able to drag myself out of bed and get over to the Keg in time for tip-off. So I'm just going to highlight some of the players and a couple of notes if you wish to put any stock in my opinion.

Black Team (Coached by Prioleau)
Josh Scott - Jelly was by far the most impressive player on the court to me. He had a monster offensive game, and pulled down a good amount of rebounds. He dominated down low and was in on almost every play for the black team (who won by a large margin). He is clearly much heavier than last year and looks to be able to handle the physical play under the basket much better.

Xavier Talton - Started at point for the black team and had a heck of a game as well. Little X really was impressive running the offense for the black team. He distributed well, got the bigs involved and made a few big time shots. He is still not nearly a polished PG, but he has made massive strides from last year. Keep in mind Talton was being defended by Dinwiddie pretty much the whole game.

Ben Mills - Came off the bench to give Jelly rest. He really showed some good offensive skills and played tough down low on defense. He has come a long way and I think some of us fans will be surprised by how many minutes he gets this year. IMO, he is going to get significant playing time this year coming off the bench. He showed today that he can hold his own at center.

Dustin Thomas and Jaron Hopkins - Thomas and Hopkins both lived up to their hype. Hopkins is QUICK and can really get to the rim. He was the offensive stud for me among the freshmen. Thomas was equally impressive, but much more so on the defensive end. He is going to cause some problems for other offenses with his long reach.

White Team (Coached by Rohn)
Spencer Dinwiddie - Dinwiddie had a solid game. Did not stand out, but that was to be expected. He was clearly focused on working on distributing the ball and playing solid defense. Definitely showed his leadership abilities as well.

Wesley Gordon - Not as big as I had expected. That might just be an illusion of the white jerseys though, as he certainly played big. As we have heard, this dude plays with a chip on his shoulder. He has a tough guy mentality and seems to not back down from anything. With that said, he was clearly frustrated today and understandably so. Scott was dominant on offense and Gordon had a tough time handling him, but overall Gordon didn't have a bad game. I was sitting a couple of rows behind the white team bench and Gordon seemed very angry. The guy has a lot of aggression and I just hope that he can channel it in a positive manner.

Xavier Johnson - XJ had an average game. He had one alley-oop in the second half that got the crowd excited. He nearly followed up with a second one on the very next play, but was given a bad pass from King.

Jenkins, Fletcher and King - All played pretty much as expected. Jenkins missed quite a few open shots, but I expect he is a better shooter than what he showed this morning. Jenkins also had a couple of spills in the second half, and had to come off of the court for a short period as he was favoring his knee. Fletcher looked very good, struck me as the best all around player of the true freshmen group. King showed flashes on both offense and defense, made a very nice play in the second half getting to the basket with a smooth finish.

Other notes
-Askia Booker did not play, I assume he is still sick.
-Tad was sitting at center court, only observing, with Rohn and Prioleau coaching each team.
-The black team dominated the white team, but both teams played well overall.
-There is clearly a long way to go for this team before the first game. They really need to clean up some of the bad passes and ball handling mistakes.
-Was a great morning to watch some CU basketball and follow it up with a decisive W on the football field.

Last edited:
Was Miller present, did the verbal coincide at all? Announcement to the fans present or anything like that? Hope it was a good time for those who were there.
Tad thanked the crowd at the end of the game and said a few words about the upcoming season, but there was no announcement about Miller. I wasn't paying close attention, but I did not see any recruits in the crowd.

Tad thanked the crowd at the end of the game and said a few words about the upcoming season, but there was no announcement about Miller. I wasn't paying close attention, but I did not see any recruits in the crowd.

Remember, coaches cannot say anything about recruits until the LOI is signed

What a great day for CU sports! A public scrimmage, a commit and a W from the football team. I almost didn't attend the scrimmage this morning as I was incredibly hungover when I got up. Somehow I was able to drag myself out of bed and get over to the Keg in time for tip-off. So I'm just going to highlight some of the players and a couple of notes if you wish to put any stock in my opinion.

Black Team (Coached by Prioleau)
Josh Scott - Jelly was by far the most impressive player on the court to me. He had a monster offensive game, and pulled down a good amount of rebounds. He dominated down low and was in on almost every play for the black team (who won by a large margin). He is clearly much heavier than last year and looks to be able to handle the physical play under the basket much better.

Xavier Talton - Started at point for the black team and had a heck of a game as well. Little X really was impressive running the offense for the black team. He distributed well, got the bigs involved and made a few big time shots. He is still not nearly a polished PG, but he has made massive strides from last year. Keep in mind Talton was being defended by Dinwiddie pretty much the whole game.

Ben Mills - Came off the bench to give Jelly rest. He really showed some good offensive skills and played tough down low on defense. He has come a long way and I think some of us fans will be surprised by how many minutes he gets this year. IMO, he is going to get significant playing time this year coming off the bench. He showed today that he can hold his own at center.

Dustin Thomas and Jaron Hopkins - Thomas and Hopkins both lived up to their hype. Hopkins is QUICK and can really get to the rim. He was the offensive stud for me among the freshmen. Thomas was equally impressive, but much more so on the defensive end. He is going to cause some problems for other offenses with his long reach.

White Team (Coached by Rohn)
Spencer Dinwiddie - Dinwiddie had a solid game. Did not stand out, but that was to be expected. He was clearly focused on working on distributing the ball and playing solid defense. Definitely showed his leadership abilities as well.

Wesley Gordon - Not as big as I had expected. That might just be an illusion of the white jerseys though, as he certainly played big. As we have heard, this dude plays with a chip on his shoulder. He has a tough guy mentality and seems to not back down from anything. With that said, he was clearly frustrated today and understandably so. Scott was dominant on offense and Gordon had a tough time handling him, but overall Gordon didn't have a bad game. I was sitting a couple of rows behind the white team bench and Gordon seemed very angry. The guy has a lot of aggression and I just hope that he can channel it in a positive manner.

Xavier Johnson - XJ had an average game. He had one alley-oop in the second half that got the crowd excited. He nearly followed up with a second one on the very next play, but was given a bad pass from King.

Jenkins, Fletcher and King - All played pretty much as expected. Jenkins missed quite a few open shots, but I expect he i

" I was sitting a couple of rows behind the white team bench and Gordon seemed very angry. The guy has a lot of aggression and I just hope that he can channel it in a positive manner."

>>That's being polite. To us Gordon looked completely disengaged, and was being a general d-head. Was like he didn't want to be there. Was clearly going out of his way to show everyone who could see he was pissed and pouting about something. He should have been dominating Ben. At times he showed bursts of amazing chops. But then moped around otherwise. Would be such a damn shame if he ends up being a Cutler-esque head case. Hoping the guy just had a "bad" day (which we all have at times), is young and will grow from it.

Speaking of growing, was very impressed in XJ and XT. Both seemed miles beyond where they were last year. And in XJ's case, considering what a bad ass he was at the end of the year, that's saying something.

In general, wasn't the sharpest of days, but soooooo great to have hoops finally here. Have to take everything this early with grains of salt. Just good to see basketball again!

I was behind the black bench and I thought Gordon was very active attacking the glass, more so in the first half. He showed the same angry demeanor in high school. He plays angry down low and I welcome it. He looks 6'9 to me. He had some grown man put backs, blocks, and some nice scores in traffic. Looks like and plays like a true PF.

Overall this team has tremendous athleticism. Fletcher impressed me! Hopkins will be a stud in a couple of years.

XJ looks great but he griped to the refs about everything. Josh Scott looked awesome! XT looks poised for big minutes. Spencer was Spencer.

Last edited:
Went this morning as well. Josh Scott and Xavier Talton stood out the most to me. Scott is going to have a big year. Dude definitely looked the part today. Talton did a good job of getting everyone involved, and has a good stroke from the 3.

When bringing the ball up court Spencer still stalls the ball just past half court. The defense gets set, the offense takes awhile to get going and never really gets any flow to it. Drove me nuts last year. There is a noticeable difference in the half court game when Talton was running the point. Having said that The Mayor can make up for it a lot of times by being the special player that he is. It'd be good to see him push the ball to the perimeter and get the others involved quicker.

Gordon would have some good spurts, and then seemed to mentally check out at times. Hot and cold. With Jenkins it seems like the game is there, he just needs some game experience. Kinda like Talton last year. Hopkins could probably jump over the backboard, dude is super athletic. Fletcher and Thomas look like true freshman, but like Jenkins just need some time.

Mills looked like he finally put on a little muscle, and footwork looked better. Wouldn't be surprised if he got 5-10 minutes a game.

" I was sitting a couple of rows behind the white team bench and Gordon seemed very angry. The guy has a lot of aggression and I just hope that he can channel it in a positive manner."

>>That's being polite. To us Gordon looked completely disengaged, and was being a general d-head. Was like he didn't want to be there. Was clearly going out of his way to show everyone who could see he was pissed and pouting about something. He should have been dominating Ben. At times he showed bursts of amazing chops. But then moped around otherwise. Would be such a damn shame if he ends up being a Cutler-esque head case. Hoping the guy just had a "bad" day (which we all have at times), is young and will grow from it.

Speaking of growing, was very impressed in XJ and XT. Both seemed miles beyond where they were last year. And in XJ's case, considering what a bad ass he was at the end of the year, that's saying something.

In general, wasn't the sharpest of days, but soooooo great to have hoops finally here. Have to take everything this early with grains of salt. Just good to see basketball again!
To be quite honest, I completely agree with you. When he was on the bench, he was completely disengaged. I guess I was trying to be as nice as possible and give him the benefit of the doubt. I heard Rohn talking to Rodney Billups halfway through the first half about how Gordon was looking exhausted already. I'm willing to just chalk it up as a bad day, it's easy to have one when your defensive assignment is Josh Scott (as many of the other Pac-12 centers can attest).

A few quick hits from my vantage point after watching the scrimmage:

1. Jelly is no longer a valid nickname for Josh Scott....Dude was defined and is going to be a physical force this year. For as big as I thought Gordon was on the bench last year, Scott is that and more this year.
2. Outside of Scott, Dustin Thomas impressed me the most and I think he will fill in for Roberson very well. Specifically, he was always in good position on Defense and on the glass and showed a lot of hustle.
3. Talton was stroking it from deep yesterday....if he can be a legitimate 3 point threat like that, I can see him getting more minutes than anyone would have previously anticipated
4. The love/hype that some folks on this board have had for Jenkins I'm not sure will come to fuition....he looked as skinny as last year, and looked out of sorts most the entire game. Granted most everyone on the white team looked off as they were getting blasted by the black team (and the freshman in particular), but wasn't pretty to see yesterday.

A lot of good insight into this scrimmage above by Yung and a few others. I took the following comments to my TailGate group:

-Josh Scott grew up! Now PAC12 ready. Biggest improvement on the team, and it's not close.
-XT played with confidence, and was hot. Hope that's the new XT.
-JHop has an unbelievable crossover with shake/bake that nobody could stay with. Zero outside shot and perhaps shaky on D, but when he has the ball in his hands, he not only can beat anyone off the dribble, but he sees the floor like nobody else. He's more of a creator for his team than Spencer.
-All the other newcomers look like Pac12 recruits. We are more athletic than I've ever seen, up and down the bench. Jenkins will have a hard time getting PT over the abundance of young wings unless he is a sharpshooter, which he was not on Saturday.

Last edited:
1. Dinwiddie - Talton - Hopkins
2. Booker - Jenkins - Nelson
3. Fletcher
4. Johnson - Thomas
5. Scott - Gordon

RS - King.
Won't see the floor - Stalzer and Mills (Potential transfer Stalzer???)

Fletcher was by the far the best freshman. Physically ready, balanced game. I'd start him. Hopkins needs a couple years to mature and refine his shot/defense/role. Great handles though. King was a flier and he should redshirt. Didn't watch Thomas much.

Like all big men, It'll take 3 years to develop Gordon. He's got a ton of promise, but seemed tired and at times lost his footwork. He will only provide 10mins a game due to undisciplined foul trouble. But that can spell Scott nicely.

Back