What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Purify Hit Again...

Kameltosis

jesus...can anymore happen to this kid...poor guy

Purify's girlfriend killed in crash
BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star
Tuesday, Oct 02, 2007 - 08:33:08 am CDT

Another tragedy has befallen Husker football player Maurice Purify. The senior receiver’s girlfriend, Reia Shapiro, died in a weekend automobile accident in the Los Angeles area, Purify said Monday.

Shapiro was 20. Purify said the two had dated on and off for several years.

She was a graduate of South Fork High School in Miranda, Calif., about 55 miles from Purify’s hometown of Eureka.

According to the Pasadena City College Web site, the one-car accident occurred Saturday morning. Shapiro reportedly lost control of her vehicle on the 210 Freeway in Pasadena. No one else was injured.

Shapiro’s father, Robert, owned a restaurant, and she had five siblings.

She also was a good basketball player. Shapiro played for Pasadena City College last season and, according to the Web site, was hopeful of playing for the team again.

Purify said he didn’t yet know his status for this week’s game against Missouri.

“I don’t know if I’m going to go back home or not,” he said.

It has been a tragedy-filled couple of months for Purify.

After coming back from some offseason issues to earn his teammates’ and coaches’ respect, his brother Ronald Spears was shot and killed on Aug. 22 at the age of 29.

Spears was killed when a stranger he was giving a ride to reportedly pulled a gun on him and demanded money.

Spears tried to knock the gun away and run from the car, but was shot in the back.

“Hopefully, he’s with me and will help me make those plays I wouldn’t be able to make,” Purify said after the shooting.

Purify is second on the team this year in receptions, with 19 catches for 268 yards.

A fan favorite for his big-play capabilities, he leapt high in the air to catch the game-winning touchdown pass in the final seconds of last year’s game at Texas A&M.

He followed that this year with another game-winning catch, scoring a touchdown in the late minutes of a comeback victory against Ball State.

Prayers to the Shipiros and to Mo. When it rains, it pours.

I didn't realize Mo was from Eureka. With all the trouble he's seen lately I'd have expected him to be from a bigger city like LA or the SF area. Eureka is a pretty small town, maybe 50,000 people or so. It's not like there's a lot of gang bangers in Eureka. Strange.

Tough to hear about his girlfriend. Tragedy does seem to follow this young man.

Our thoughts are with Purify and the families; gotta be tough enough to lose someone close and then concetrate on school and football where the demands don't let up

I hope he gets his head right and doesn't worry about returning to the team too soon. Game on Saturday or not he needs to take some time and grieve. This kid has had the worst freakin luck I feel horrible for him. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his girlfriends family...........:sad1:

I didn't realize Mo was from Eureka. With all the trouble he's seen lately I'd have expected him to be from a bigger city like LA or the SF area. Eureka is a pretty small town, maybe 50,000 people or so. It's not like there's a lot of gang bangers in Eureka. Strange.

Tough to hear about his girlfriend. Tragedy does seem to follow this young man.

I believe both of these tragedies actually happened in LA

First his brother now his gf? Wtf is the world coming to...I'd have quit

Last edited:
I believe both of these tragedies actually happened in LA

Yeah, I know. I guess I must have thought that was where he was from. LA is a lot different than Eureka. I guess it just struck me as odd that a guy from Eureka was having so much trouble with his friends and relations in LA, all of whom apparently moved there from the Eureka area. Just my mind working in strange ways I guess.

Just read about it, sorry to hear it. The kid must really be suffering right now.

You have too think that some of the minor issues he has had might be as he is just trying to cope with the major crap that has happened to him. Has been a bad year for him.:sad1: I pray that things can turn for the better for him from now on.

Not to mention prayers for her family.

Back