What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

promoted QB Davis Webb Transferring to COLORADO from TTU (Committed to COLORADO)

Webb would make me feel a LOT better about the offense next year. Leaves us with question marks at OL and WR to answer (although I love our recruits at WR).

CU doesn't have enough of the rest of the pieces of the transmission to make this car go with or without Webb. To me the move is insurance against Sefo's injury and his inability to do X Y or Z in a game.

I know it's been a decade since CU has had anything resembling adequate QB play, but is it not pretty much consensus that Webb is a game changer here? I'm hearing stuff like "insurance against Sefo's injury" and talk of him being "pushed" by Apsay/Montez.

To me (and presumably MM), Webb is CU's ticket to bowl contention. Finally. Am I overstating the importance of his potential signing?

I know it's been a decade since CU has had anything resembling adequate QB play, but is it not pretty much consensus that Webb is a game changer here? I'm hearing stuff like "insurance against Sefo's injury" and talk of him being "pushed" by Apsay/Montez.

To me (and presumably MM), Webb is CU's ticket to bowl contention. Finally. Am I overstaring the importance of his potential signing?

I think he does make us better. I think we barely bowl qualify. I hope I am wrong. I like that Mac is starting to upgrade the talent. But as other have noted we lack difference makers on this team at a lot of positions. Were starting guys that other programs wouldn't (didnt) offer. Its going to take a few years to work thru that. (Im sorry I am reluctant to drink the Koolaid Mr. Jones.)

Its not often you have a senior qb that could be redshirted. Because of his injury, I could see them pursuing this route. Foot fractures are really tricky.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Not another year of Liufau! Let's see him graduate and move on instead of just muddying the waters in 2017. He is not a QB that can win games for a team and he has a 3 year track record to prove it.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Not another year of Liufau! Let's see him graduate and move on instead of just muddying the waters in 2017. He is not a QB that can win games for a team and he has a 3 year track record to prove it.

A RS-senior QB is a hell of an insurance policy should montez or jones not pan out.

A RS-senior QB is a hell of an insurance policy should montez or jones not pan out.

What kind of insurance policy? One that guarantees it can't produce wins in the event of an injury claim by a couple other QB's? Liufau has not improved from year 1 to year 3 under the same coaches so what expectations could there be for him to suddenly improve in year 5?

Don't you assholes make me agree with Big Jim. Redshirting Sefo makes no sense. Free up the scholly. By the time 2017 comes around, we'll have Jones, Apsay, Montez and Noyer all eligible and out of their Redshirts. No sense adding a senior QB to that mix who you know is just good enough to get you beat.

What kind of insurance policy? One that guarantees it can't produce wins in the event of an injury claim by a couple other QB's? Liufau has not improved from year 1 to year 3 under the same coaches so what expectations could there be for him to suddenly improve in year 5?

Ok Liufau kicked your puppy I get it.

You RS sefo and then he is either earns the starter spot back or he is the backup in 2017. Really don't see a downside to that plan.

Is there really any doubt that Sefo would be a great back-up QB?
None. In fact, I think (and hope) that it's where he ends up helping us the most, either next year, or the following year (if he redshirts next year). I like the idea of a guy who can push the QB1 (Webb and then Montez/Jones) and also be a reliable sub, if the starter goes down.

You RS sefo and then he is either earns the starter spot back or he is the backup in 2017. Really don't see a downside to that plan.
The downside is the opportunity cost of that scholarship.

Don't you assholes make me agree with Big Jim. Redshirting Sefo makes no sense. Free up the scholly. By the time 2017 comes around, we'll have Jones, Apsay, Montez and Noyer all eligible and out of their Redshirts. No sense adding a senior QB to that mix who you know is just good enough to get you beat.
If you redshirt him, it's for one reason only: to allow him to try the grad transfer market. "If you want, we'll let you try and win the starting job again in the spring of 2017, but you have to understand that if it's close, we're going with the younger guy. If you don't win the starting job, you can then graduate, and we'll help you land somewhere as a transfer over the summer. You can also just skip that, graduate in December, and head to another program as a grad transfer in time for spring practice in 2017."

If you redshirt him, it's for one reason only: to allow him to try the grad transfer market. "If you want, we'll let you try and win the starting job again in the spring of 2017, but you have to understand that if it's close, we're going with the younger guy. If you don't win the starting job, you can then graduate, and we'll help you land somewhere as a transfer over the summer. You can also just skip that, graduate in December, and head to another program as a grad transfer in time for spring practice in 2017."

More basically, what I'd tell Sefo is: If Webb goes down, you're getting the call to lead the team your senior year. If that doesn't happen, we'll protect your eligibility so you can either grad transfer at the end of the semester or after seeing how things play out in the spring.

There is nothing personal, I've got no beef with the guy. From all reports he is a fine man. He just flat out isn't good enough to win games, to win "a" game. The downside is a wasted scholarship for 2017 and a muddied QB situation. Why have him taking practice reps all spring and fall away from guys from the young guys that need all the development they can get?

What I don't see any upside to having him on the roster in 2017.

Skibum is correct. You really are not redshirting to protect his eligibility at CU. Redshirting Sefo with the idea he will be squarely in the mix for the starting job here in 2017 is a bad idea.

All doubt, no upside. If he cannot win games as a QB, what is the value of him being a backup?
Maybe the value is that he is good enough not to lose those games that the reinvigorated D allows us to win.

The young man did, in fact, set a shload of records a couple of years ago, with a decent O-line and his maturity, I still give Sefo the benefit of doubt.

There may be better QB's on the roster, however, especially if Webb decides to become a Buff. Who will rise to the calling is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
I still believe that with adequete support Sefo could be a quality winning starting QB, that doesn't mean though that Webb couldn't be better. If we can upgrade a key position we need to do it.

I do have serious doubts though that Sefo will even be healthy going into next year, he may be able to practice and play but his injury is one that doesn't heal quickly or completely, I think he will be at best limited. In that light a guy like Webb is critical.

Apsay to me looks like a solid backup guy but hasn't shown me anything that looks like a winning starter in the PAC.

Montez and Jones have a lot of promise but neither has shown anything at the college level yet. Montez is another one of the guys who has talent but needs to develop. I don't want to see him thrown out there before he is ready to develop bad habits.

Sefo's health will determine whether or not he redshirts. That is it. If he's healthy enough to play, he will not RS. Period. End of story.

Sefo's health will determine whether or not he redshirts. That is it. If he's healthy enough to play, he will not RS. Period. End of story.

I was just happy that the recent developments allowed this debate to materialize in the first place. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Back