What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB recruiting with this staff

Were they for QB or another position? RGIII had offers from Texas and others, but not as a Qb

I actually was thinking of RGIII here, too. However, I went and looked back and he doesn't list a commitable offer from Texas, but Mack Brown was recruiting him as a safety IIRC.

Along those lines, do Rivals and/or Scout adjust rankings at all? I seem to remember RGIII being a 3* recruit, but he's listed as a 4* on both sites.

I actually was thinking of RGIII here, too. However, I went and looked back and he doesn't list a commitable offer from Texas, but Mack Brown was recruiting him as a safety IIRC.

Along those lines, do Rivals and/or Scout adjust rankings at all? I seem to remember RGIII being a 3* recruit, but he's listed as a 4* on both sites.
RGIIII was a bit of a special case, recruiting wise. He was recruited to UH by Briles and when Briles left for Baylor after the season, he took RGIII with him.

I think some of you guys assume dual threat QB automatically means freakish athlete.

Heh. With the right mental makeup, Connor Wood could have been effective in some run first scenarios. Was a freaking headcase, but the talent was there.

Yeah, and if Kaitlyn Jenner had a d*ck she'd be...

Last edited:
That KSU game was pretty awesome.

They "surprised" KSU with him playing/running. Oddly, I hardly recall him running all that much aside from that game. Probably not remembering it right, but that was a fun game. Folsom was still Folsom then.

[video=youtube;HN71Z5thVBw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN71Z5thVBw[/video]

As for QBs over the last 20 years who would have run this offense well -- a healthy Ochs would have been a monster.

2016 class might be a good opportunity to bring in a JUCO for that junior class. Especially important to do so, imo, if Gehrke tells the coaches he is graduating after this year and won't be coming back as a 5th year senior backup for the '16 season.

My biggest hope is that by this time next year, we will be encouraging Gehrke to graduate rather than worrying about whether he is coming back.

They "surprised" KSU with him playing/running. Oddly, I hardly recall him running all that much aside from that game. Probably not remembering it right, but that was a fun game. Folsom was still Folsom then.

As for QBs over the last 20 years who would have run this offense well -- a healthy Ochs would have been a monster.

TH had some nice runs vs Georgia. The first series he really burned them on one run.

I think some of you guys assume dual threat QB automatically means freakish athlete.

Exactly.

When Duff and I talk "dual threat" for this offense we're thinking more in the Taylor Kelly or Kevin Hogan mold that can keep a defense honest on the zone read play and make some things happen with their feet if there's a breakdown... but still matriculate a team down the field within a spread passing attack. Not talking about a Hagan, Frazier or Holloway who were wizards in the run game but weren't much of a threat with their arm until the defense sold out and a TE/WR was able to sneak wide open behind the safeties.

Exactly.

When Duff and I talk "dual threat" for this offense we're thinking more in the Taylor Kelly or Kevin Hogan mold that can keep a defense honest on the zone read play and make some things happen with their feet if there's a breakdown... but still matriculate a team down the field within a spread passing attack. Not talking about a Hagan, Frazier or Holloway who were wizards in the run game but weren't much of a threat with their arm until the defense sold out and a TE/WR was able to sneak wide open behind the safeties.
When I think "dual threat", I think of a QB who can, when least expected, pull off the old drop kick.

I thought, when he was being recruited, that Sefo was a prototypical "dual threat." It's pretty obvious that he does not really have tucking the ball under and running in his "DNA." To me, a dual threat kind of QB has to have that sort of mentality, whether he's an athletic guy with running ability or not. In the old days, coaches would coach that mentality out of them.

Montez will be the DT QB we've been wanting. Big arm and has good speed and quick feet for his size. Raw, but tons of potential.
Yup. Montez is the only QB recruit that impresses me...all the others on the roster aren't too impressive to me.

Yup. Montez is the only QB recruit that impresses me...all the others on the roster aren't too impressive to me.
You've also only seen 2 QBs play, one of which still has a lot of potential. Apsay's HS film was just as impressive and Montez's, Apsay just isn't as tall.

You've also only seen 2 QBs play, one of which still has a lot of potential. Apsay's HS film was just as impressive and Montez's, Apsay just isn't as tall.
I realize that...with what I've seen either in person, on film or just stats leaves me unimpressed with our recruits so far. But I'm no expert or anything...just one dude's opinion.

Thanks for posting this. I had just gotten back into boulder, and thought I was watching the rebirth of the buffaloes. Josh Smith, Darrell Scott, SPEEDY. Hansen... (FYI, how do/did some buff fans, even young ones, not know that TH could run?)

Speedy and Hansen (and al of other guys) deserved better than they got from HaLk and Embree.

When I think "dual threat", I think of a QB who can, when least expected, pull off the old drop kick.

I thought, when he was being recruited, that Sefo was a prototypical "dual threat." It's pretty obvious that he does not really have tucking the ball under and running in his "DNA." To me, a dual threat kind of QB has to have that sort of mentality, whether he's an athletic guy with running ability or not. In the old days, coaches would coach that mentality out of them.
I think people thought Sefo could move well based off of his H.S. film due to lackluster oline. He was never considered a dual threat by any of the recruiting services and I would imagine to both staffs as well.

I think people thought Sefo could move well based off of his H.S. film due to lackluster oline. He was never considered a dual threat by any of the recruiting services and I would imagine to both staffs as well.

He seemed like a tough runner to me with good field awareness. That's what we have seen at times. Sefo is perfect on QB sneak attempts. He's had some nice runs to an open field when they present themselves. But he's not a moving pocket guy and he's not someone defenses will gameplan to stop him from beating them with his legs.

Tyler Hansen would have been all-conference in this offense.

He seemed like a tough runner to me with good field awareness. That's what we have seen at times. Sefo is perfect on QB sneak attempts. He's had some nice runs to an open field when they present themselves. But he's not a moving pocket guy and he's not someone defenses will gameplan to stop him from beating them with his legs.

Tyler Hansen would have been all-conference in this offense.

In terms of comparables, I think of Tom Brady when looking at Sefo's running ability. The dude destroys defenses on the QB sneak and is just maneuverable enough to finish a play, but he is by no means a runner at the QB position.

In terms of comparables, I think of Tom Brady when looking at Sefo's running ability. The dude destroys defenses on the QB sneak and is just maneuverable enough to finish a play, but he is by no means a runner at the QB position.

Sefo gives up on plays too soon. The Brady comparison stops there. Brady needs one yard and he gets two. Sefo needs four yards and he gets three before running out of bounds. That needs to change this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder what his (Kordell Stewart) stats would have looked like with the sack yardage taken out, I looked and couldn't find it quickly but I remember him taking some deep sacks as he was adjusting to trying read defenses and be a drop back passer.

But regardless of the stats you are correct in that he was a threat, teams had to account for him out of fear of him ripping of a big chunk of yardage with his feet.
His last two seasons, he had 330 yards lost with 1493 gained.

Another interesting stat I found while researching this was that Rashaan Salaam had a better yards per carry average than Lamont Warren while backing him up in 92 and 93.

Last edited:
Back