What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB

I wanted TH to be the starter, not Cody, BTW. But I'm disappointed in how TH has played thus far and don't see that he is all that much of an upgrade over Hawkins at this point. I'd say "far superior" is a stretch.

Funny, because I'd say calling Tyler gawd awful is a stretch.

Why did you want Tyler to be the starter? You seem to think Cody was the better QB. All I ever wanted was the best QB to start. It seems pretty clear to me, now more than ever, that Tyler was the better QB all along. Cody may have had a better understanding of the playbook, but the kid froze when the lights came on. He's a good guy and I wish him well, but it is what it is.

I think we can all agree that every single person on this board can't wait for better times with Wood and Dillon. Cody and Tyler gave it their all, but that isn't enough to win games.

Does anyone know the rules of allowing palyers into the coaches box upstairs? Because if a player is allowed to be up there I think i could be benificial to have Wood up there to develop a working dynamic with EB and the other O-Coaches up there (Scherer or Brookhart).

I think Scherer is on the sidelines. I thought I saw him during the Wazzu game.

Not only that, but four QBs in a competition is not possible.

AND,with all due respect to Tyler,I don't want him here another year.He can't get much better and it's simply time to move on...see ya at a reunion to recognize Embree's first season or something

With regard to TH:
A) He DOES laser in on P-Rich far to often to the neglect of plenty of other capable receivers
B) He has plenty of mobility, but thus far seems a little timid in running the ball (this is his senior season, he's not going to get drafted...start playing like there's nothing to lose)
C) For those who say HE's not losing games - he has thrown/forced FAR TOO MANY uncatchable balls in the red zone (and inside the 10 at that) that have killed drives.
- Now in his defense, I have totally disagreed with the play calls in those situations (trying to go to the endzone on 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1). But if that's the call...get it done! Or audible for chrisake if it's not going to work.
D) He shows no emotion on the sideline or in the huddle other than disappointment in himself. If I'm not mistaken, he is a senior, and he is a captain.
E) However, he is not a Senior QB. He is a QB who is a senior who has had his chain jerked for the past 4 years.
F) All that being said, benching him does no good. The chance of Hirschman starting next year is 50% at best so benching Hansen to get him playing time is useless. He's a Hawkie. Wood or Schrock is going to throttle him in camp. He's a competent back up at this point. The only thing benching Hansen (for more than one game to get his head straight) will do is have the team lose faith in the coaching staff. The team knows that they are last in Spec Teams, penalties, and that their running game is only netting 3 yards per carry...it's not totally the QB's fault. Benching Hansen does no good.

I will never forget Cody and Hansen joking around on the sideline when we were getting our asses kicked by somebody last year (I don't recall by whom....maybe Mizzou).

Any player who is laughing in that situation is not a winner or a competitor in my book. **** you Danny.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/38/colorado-buffaloes

Hansen has tossed 11 TDs versus just two INTs so far this season for an effiency rating of 139.7. When was the last time a CU QB had similar stats five games into the season?

Back in the day Ken O'Brien (Jets) had some years with stellar efficiency ratings. With these ratings one might have expected the Jets to have been extremely successful during his tenure. However, if I have my facts straight, the Jets didn't win their division, conference, or a SB during with him at QB. Some of this has to do with the pieces around him. But, what I remember is that he would throw the ball away in clutch situations instead of taking a risk. This was good for his rating, but not always so good for the team.

My point is this. It seems to me that Hansen makes some plays, but is having trouble making them when we need them. He's had many overthrows and put a fair number of balls into the cheap seats. Sure, he didn't commit a turnover, but those plays are lost. The most important stat for a QB is W/L and not efficiency.

That said, we have many bigger problems than QB play. I was sure at the start of the year that the new staff would get the penalty situation under control. Instead we have the most in the nation. At least we are #1 at something.

Goldberg is moving to QB to run the two minute drill.

238487_large.jpg

Funny, because I'd say calling Tyler gawd awful is a stretch.

Why did you want Tyler to be the starter? You seem to think Cody was the better QB. All I ever wanted was the best QB to start. It seems pretty clear to me, now more than ever, that Tyler was the better QB all along. Cody may have had a better understanding of the playbook, but the kid froze when the lights came on. He's a good guy and I wish him well, but it is what it is.

I think we can all agree that every single person on this board can't wait for better times with Wood and Dillon. Cody and Tyler gave it their all, but that isn't enough to win games.
Cody played like he was wearing cement boots. Tyler is much more athletic and mobile. Tyler also has a much better arm than Cody. Thats what we all saw going into last season and why most of us felt like Tyler should be the guy. But I just don't think he has good accuracy or decision making ability. From time to time he shows some ability, but all to often he misses open throws or makes bad decisions. Its just frustrating.

I think some people are confusing what the discussion is about. TH is not an never was going to be Andrew Luck/Cam Newton/etc. The issue is that TH is the best we have at this moment and would have been better than he is now had he not been screwed up by Hawk. Had Hawk not insisted on trying to make his son the answer without ever knowing what the question was TH would be a RS jr. right now with a lot more actual game expereince than he has instead of a sr with limited experience and a lot of confusion under pressure.

He isn't a guy who is going to individually win you games on his talent and skills alone, he isn't a guy who is going to elevate other players to play above their abilities. He is not going to take the limited talent this team has and make it competitive but nobody else we have eligible this year is going to do that either. He is a decent but not great D1 QB who if he did have another year of experience would likely have to struggle to keep his job as a senior next year. That said he is also good enough that he should have been on the field instead of Cody in a lot more situations which would have helped him this year in certain situations.

Just like every other position on this team we could be better at QB but QB is far from the weakest postion on the team.

The thing that frustrates me the most with Tyler is that he has shown flashes of being a damn good quarterback. There have been games when he has put a ton of pressure on a defense and made the plays he is supposed to and gotten us big plays when things have broken down. I was hoping to see more of that Tyler. This team needs him.

The thing that frustrates me the most with Tyler is that he has shown flashes of being a damn good quarterback. There have been games when he has put a ton of pressure on a defense and made the plays he is supposed to and gotten us big plays when things have broken down. I was hoping to see more of that Tyler. This team needs him.
Well said. The flashes that he shows makes it all the more frustrating when he does stuff like try to throw across his body to a wide open receiver, then throw it high, get it tipped and intercepted. Aaarrrggghhh.

I think some people are confusing what the discussion is about. TH is not an never was going to be Andrew Luck/Cam Newton/etc. The issue is that TH is the best we have at this moment and would have been better than he is now had he not been screwed up by Hawk. Had Hawk not insisted on trying to make his son the answer without ever knowing what the question was TH would be a RS jr. right now with a lot more actual game expereince than he has instead of a sr with limited experience and a lot of confusion under pressure.

He isn't a guy who is going to individually win you games on his talent and skills alone, he isn't a guy who is going to elevate other players to play above their abilities. He is not going to take the limited talent this team has and make it competitive but nobody else we have eligible this year is going to do that either. He is a decent but not great D1 QB who if he did have another year of experience would likely have to struggle to keep his job as a senior next year. That said he is also good enough that he should have been on the field instead of Cody in a lot more situations which would have helped him this year in certain situations.

Just like every other position on this team we could be better at QB but QB is far from the weakest postion on the team.

I don't think anyone here, besides tini, has put those high standards on Tyler. I'm sure most Buff fans thought of him as a average QB. Saying that I still think he has played pretty badly. Blame Hawk, blame Cody, blame CU, but I feel Tyler has to shoulder a bit of the blame as well.

I don't think anyone here, besides tini, has put those high standards on Tyler. I'm sure most Buff fans thought of him as a average QB. Saying that I still think he has played pretty badly. Blame Hawk, blame Cody, blame CU, but I feel Tyler has to shoulder a bit of the blame as well.

Well said.

I have to admit that when Scherer made the statement that TH has NFL ability prior to the season I got my hopes up a little.

Back