What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Quick Post: Why CU is more desirable than UT or OU

RSSBot

News Junkie
I bet there's more than a few people in the Red River Valley muttering to themselves "the Pac-12 accepts Colorado and Utah into their conference, but rejects Texas and Oklahoma? Has the world gone mad?"

Nope, it hasn't.

I feel it all comes down to the balance of power. The 8-team west coast core of the conference, that has been together since the 50's, has a understanding of each other's role, a sense of who holds the power within the conference. The fact is, with the '11 inclusion of CU and Utah, it expanded with partners who are not in any way threatening to the status quo. There's no threat to the old balance of power.

This would not have been the case with Texas and Oklahoma. The power balance would've shifted, rather drastically, away from San Francisco and LA. While the money probably would've been gargantuan, to accept in a new set of rivals, and make concessions in the process, would be to lessen the power and influence of the old guard, and that's just not how the world works.

I bet, in the end, there were a lot more schools from the old Pac-8 crew who objected to the potential expansion scenarios than had been expected. That, more than any howling from Bruce Benson and the CU fanbase, kept the Pac-12 from super-conference status.
8030839680057503187-7557298046421571507

sQvw_eefVBA

More...

Back