What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Quick reaction to Coach Mac?

Feelings Today About Coach Mac?

• More Positive

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • More Negative

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • About the Same

Votes: 19 16.4%

• Total voters
yea - he is just turning into the crazy old man in Boulder

Not this guy I hope:

[video=youtube;O_533oJ7Gys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_533oJ7Gys[/video]

Actually, I will always be grateful for what he did for this program, but we've got to move on and stop rehashing the good ole days, I've heard, so much "When I was there, this is how we did it", therefore it still should be done that way.

No more, let's get on with creating history, not reliving it.

just like qb sneak on 1st and ten? got to pay attention

No those are different scenarios. If the box is not changed, and Mac sees 3rd down but if its actually 4th that's on the side judge for not getting the chains and box ready (in this case the box only). The sneak on 1st was not due to the box being changed but rather the coaches not paying attention despite the box and chains being moved for the 1st down.

I admire a man that stands by his principles, doesn't always do what is popular. Most of us don't know what the coaches go through, we can type and Blabber about Something we know nothing about. I think it is a good idea to listen to the folks that have achieved success, Coach Mac is a guy I like listening to, and will continue to listen to for advice. I admit I also wanted Embo fired. But after further evaluation, I think the problem was the youth of the team and inexperienced co-ordinators. Firing Embo doesn't make the team better. Hiring new co-ordinators and having an administration that is committed to football by building new facilities, spending money on the program, will solve the problem. Embo is a small, micro, insignificant part of the problem.

Last edited:
No real issues with the letter but the rant after he read it is going to get him increasingly marginalized. He has always been seen by the general public as somewhat of an eccentric with out of touch ideas. The general public will tune him out as will the media when they know he will go off the ranch the way he did. He is only hurting himself and looks as if does not get the college football game anymore. Coaches are fired all the time before contracts are up. Coaches leave for better or bigger jobs before their contracts are up. It is part of the game and has absolutely nothing to do with integrity.

I wasn't too pleased with Big Mac and his comments. At the same time, I have preached that since CU joined the PAC-12 South division, we couldn't try to operate the way we used to operate in the Big 8 and Big 12 North. Our move to the PAC-12 is similar to UNC's move from the old D2 North Central to the FCS Big Sky Conference. I did also e-mail Bohn back in September after the Sac St loss offering encouragement and compared CU's transition to OU's transition from the old Big 8 to the Big 12 South. It was painful for OU under John Blake because Blake went back to OU's glory years with the wishbone an that is how I felt about this hire with Embree. I did not call Embree or any of his staff to be fired at the time but I asked if what they were running was the road to success in the PAC-12. We need to go to the spread offense and we were defending the spread pretty well under Barnett and early under Hawkins (remember the upset wins against OU and TT).

Big Mac would have failed even if he was the coach instead of Embree. The saving grace for CU was at the same time in Big Mac's early years at CU, KSU was actually a worse off program and KSU was even threatened with expulsion from the Big 8 in the mid to late '80's for how bad they were (I got this from KSU fans on a different board). If we don't make progress by the early 2020s, our membership in the PAC-12 could be at risk by that time even if the PAC 8/10 endured with Oregon State's 26 season drought. There's no reason to doubt a CU donor's comment that's try Scott could have been behind Embree's firing to a degree.

CU is bigger on McCartney and Bohn did what was best for CU not McCartney.

No real issues with the letter but the rant after he read it is going to get him increasingly marginalized. He has always been seen by the general public as somewhat of an eccentric with out of touch ideas. The general public will tune him out as will the media when they know he will go off the ranch the way he did. He is only hurting himself and looks as if does not get the college football game anymore. Coaches are fired all the time before contracts are up. Coaches leave for better or bigger jobs before their contracts are up. It is part of the game and has absolutely nothing to do with integrity.

The most tragic thing in this is that if Mac is having any impact on opportunities for black coaches, it's a negative one. There's risk with any hire. He just upped the ante.

Back