What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Races thread - Cross Country at 2019 Pac 12 Championships (Monmouth, Oregon, Nov. 1, Men- 12:10 PM MT start; Women- 1:10 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to the men's and women's cross country teams at the Conference Championships being hosted by OSU this Friday!

Championships links
-

Pac 12 Championships homepage (Includes detail schedule- all times Pacific) - https://pac-12.com/article/2019/10/29/pac-12-crown-cross-country-champions-friday-oregon

Championships' notes - http://static.pac-12.com.s3.amazonaws.com/sports/cross-country/PDF/2019_Pac-12_XC_Champs_release.pdf

List of individual entries by team and gender - https://storage.googleapis.com/anet_user_files/meet/xc/168921/Rosters.pdf

Live Video - Both the 8K men's and 6K women's races will be televised across all 7 Pac 12 Network channels, with the men's coverage scheduled from noon-1:00 PM MT (race scheduled to start at 12:10 PM MT) and the women's from 1:00-2:00 PM MT (race scheduled to start 1:10 PM MT). For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that Pac 12 channel, assume the races can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/live and https://pac-12.com/live?sport=XC .
For anyone who happens to reside outside the country (at least in 85 or so select countries), I assume it will also be accessable at the Pac 12 International Youtube channel - .

Live results - https://live.athletictiming.net/meets/4679

Official cubuffs.com preview now out -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/10/30/cross-country-pac-12-championships-next-for-buffaloes.aspx

"
BOULDER — The University of Colorado cross country teams will start postseason action this Friday, November 1, at the 2019 Pac-12 Championships at Ash Creek Preserve in Monmouth, Ore.

Oregon State is this year's host. The men will kick off the event with their 8-kilometer run at 12:10 p.m. MT and the women will follow with their 6k race at 1:10 p.m. For the third consecutive year, Pac-12 Network will broadcast the championship live.

The Buffs have made a habit of doing well at the conference championships, but for the first time since joining the Pac-12 in 2011, neither team is the defending champion. That doesn't take any of the pressure off for a program that expects excellence.

"The pressure is always the same. We expect to be very high; we're disappointed if we're not. It's in their minds in late June when they begin training and its part of our culture here," head coach Mark Wetmore said.

The men, who are tied for third in the USTFCCCA poll with Stanford, won the first six league titles when the conference expanded in 2011, while the Cardinal took home the last two. Heading into Friday, it would look like SU has the edge over the Buffs, but ultimately it will be decided on the course where anything can happen.

"On the men's side, after some number crunching between Notre Dame (Joe Piane Invitational), Terre Haute (NCAA Pre-National Invitational) and Madison (Nuttycombe Invitational), it seems to me that Stanford is a little better than our men," Wetmore said. "But we all have to handle the conditions. We all have to handle a course we've never been on before. We all have to be ready on that day. I know they are close enough and within reach that we could win if we do things well."

Three other ranked teams will try to challenge for the team title as well. Washington is currently seventh, while UCLA is 10th and Oregon is 16th.

Colorado is not just in contention for the team title, but the individual title as well. CU has not had an individual conference winner since Brent Vaughn won the Big 12 title in 2007. This could change this year with two of CU's seniors, John Dressel and Joe Klecker, who have done very well at this meet. Klecker was the runner-up in 2017, while Dressel was sixth in 2015 and '16.

"I think either of them can be very high in the race," Wetmore said. "Stanford has two very excellent runners who ran well at Madison two weeks ago. There are other good individuals around the conference; people who if they have a good race will be close to the front end, and Joe and John can be as well."

The CU women enter the meet ranked fifth in the latest USTFCCCA poll, which is behind No. 2 Stanford and No. 3 Washington. Neither Stanford nor Washington have won a Pac-12 title since the conference expanded in 2011, while the Buffs have won four and would like to add to that this season.

"Washington and Stanford are a head taller than we are," Wetmore said. "Washington beat us two weeks ago without running their top runner. We are facing a very good Stanford team that ran well at Madison. We will need to be fitter than we were two weeks ago, tactically better than we were two weeks ago and luckier than we were two weeks ago."

The other ranked teams in the field include No. 16 Utah and No. 20 Oregon. Oregon State is receiving votes.

Individually the Buffs have been led by senior Sage Hurta, who recorded a third-place finish at Pre-Nationals. While she might not be one of the favorites for the individual crown, she should not be counted out.

"Sage is having the best cross country season of her career so far," said Wetmore. "Her race in Terre Haute was excellent, again her best cross race for us so far. She probably won't be expected to contend for the title, but if she is near it with 500 to go, she will be hard to beat."

Following the conference championships, both rosters will be cut to seven before the NCAA Mountain Region Championships, November 15, in Salt Lake City, Utah, and the NCAA Championships, November 23, in Terre Haute, Ind.

PAC-12 NETWORK: Jim Watson will serve as the play-by-play and Tom Feuer will provide the color. Check your local listings for channel information.

RESULTS: Live results will be available at pac12.me/2019-XC-results and final results will be posted at both CUBuffs.com and pac-12.com/cross-country/championships.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Fans can follow @CUBuffsTrack on twitter for in-race updates. The official hashtag of the meet is #Pac12XC.

2019 PAC-12 CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS
Friday, November 1
Ash Creek Preserve (Monmouth, Ore.)

11:55 a.m. - Called to Start – Men
12:10 p.m. - Men's 8000m Championship Race
12:50 p.m. - Men's Awards Ceremony
12:55 p.m. - Called to Start – Women
1:10 p.m. - Women's 6000m Championship Race
1:50 p.m. - Women's Awards Ceremony
"

Maybe no one knows the answer to this, but why is the race being held in Monmouth?

1. Monmouth is incredibly tiny. It's like 10K people and there are EXTREMELY limited hotels in the vicinity. There's no way more than a couple of P12 teams are able to stay in Monmouth, and they'll likely be bussing in from Salem (20-30 minutes).
  2. Monmouth is home to a non-P12 university (Western Oregon)
  3. It's not like it's next door to Corvallis, either. It's a 30 minute drive from there.

Is there really not a suitable course in Corvallis?

Maybe no one knows the answer to this, but why is the race being held in Monmouth?

1. Monmouth is incredibly tiny. It's like 10K people and there are EXTREMELY limited hotels in the vicinity. There's no way more than a couple of P12 teams are able to stay in Monmouth, and they'll likely be bussing in from Salem (20-30 minutes).
  2. Monmouth is home to a non-P12 university (Western Oregon)
  3. It's not like it's next door to Corvallis, either. It's a 30 minute drive from there.

Is there really not a suitable course in Corvallis?

Per the Pac 12 preview article (https://pac-12.com/article/2019/10/29/pac-12-crown-cross-country-champions-friday-oregon), it was originally scheduled to be in Corvallis, but the scheduled location (Trysting Tree Golf Club) must have experienced significant springtime flooding, necessitating a change. Sounds like Western Oregon U. has a (I believe pretty rare) dedicated cross country facility, so assume that made them a logical replacement spot.

Less than an hour and a half before the men start things off in their race.

As NW Buff mentioned, looks like relatively nice weather, with the forecast showing all sun today in Monmouth, and temperatures around 50 degrees for the start of the races. (I'm watching the Mountain West Championships (in Logan Utah) right now, and it's sunny but MUCH cooler (27 degrees) there as the women race.)

Last edited:
Buff senior Sage Hurta, one of the Pac 12's (and NCAA's) top women's distance runners, who also sports a 3.98 grade point average while majoring in chemical and biological engineering, has been named the women's conference cross country Scholar- Athlete of the Year.

Congrats to her!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/11/1/cross-country-hurta-named-pac-12-scholar-athlete-of-the-year.aspx

"
BOULDER – University of Colorado senior Sage Hurta has been named the Pac-12 Women's Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year, the league office announced on Friday prior to the racing of the conference championships.

The award, which is presented in each of the 24 sports the Pac-12 sponsors, was established to honor collegiate student-athletes that are standouts both academically and in their sports discipline.

Hurta is a three-time NCAA Cross Country All-American and is majoring in chemical and biological engineering. Through her first six semesters at CU, she has recorded a 3.98 grade point average. Hurta has been a member of the Dean's List and Athletic Director's Honor Roll all six semesters. She has also has recorded a 4.0 GPA five times. She has been a Pac-12 All-Academic First Team member twice and a USTFCCCA All-Academic selection three times.

The Hamilton, N.Y., native was named to the All-Pac-12 Second Team in 2017 as a sophomore after recording a ninth-place finish, which helped the Buffaloes win their third straight conference title. At the NCAA Mountain Region Championship, she was 12th overall in 2017, CU's No. 2 scorer, which earned her all-region honors. At the NCAA Championships, she improved each year. Hurta was 40th in 2016, 35th in 2017 and in 2018, her 22nd place finish helped CU win the team championship for the first time since 2004.

This is the third time in four years the Buffs have earned the honor on the women's side. Erin Clark was the women's recipient in 2016, while Kaitlyn Benner won in 2017. In total, five Buffs have earned the award since 2015. The men won back-to-back honors with Morgan Pearson winning in 2015 and Ben Saarel earning the honor in 2016.
"

Congrats to Joe and the men's team.

I actually watched both races. The announcers were saying not to count out Mark Wetmore's women's team in the nationals.

Great job by the men winning the PAC12 this year. Everyone expected Washington to have their way and they fell off the map. Lets hope they continue this run heading into regionals and nationals and that the same thing that happened to Washington this year happens to WhOregon next year.

nice win by the men and I have a feeling that both teams will be very competitive at nationals. I think the women had a bad day

Article on today's races-

Direct link- https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/11/1/...l-crown-leads-men-to-7th-pac-12-xc-title.aspx

"
MONMOUTH, Ore. — After a two-year hiatus, the Pac-12 Men's Cross Country Championship trophy is heading back to Boulder as No. 3 Colorado defeated No. 16 Oregon, 41-57, in an exciting race at Ash Creek Preserve in Monmouth, Ore. on Friday afternoon.

Adding to the excitement of the team race was the fact that CU senior Joe Klecker ran to the individual title, becoming the first Buff to win the title on the men's side. It's the first individual men's champion for Colorado since Brent Vaughn won the Big 12 crown in 2007.

"This is an excellent field, and an excellent conference," head coach Mark Wetmore said. "There were four or five guys in there that had reason to believe they might win it and Joe's worked very hard. He's one of the hardest working athletes I've ever had. He's finished high in this before but this is his first big win and I'm very happy for him."

The women's team finished the day fourth overall but still had a decent day with four finishing in the top 20. CU, which entered the race fifth in the national poll, finished behind No. 2 Stanford (27), No. 3 Washington (55) and No. 16 Utah. The Buffs were just three points behind the Utes (86-89) and still finished with a decent score.

PAC-12 CHAMPION: Klecker ran an excellent race in the windy and cold conditions as the temperature was just 41 degrees when the gun went off. Like usual, he was near the front of the pack from the get-go and never dropped back. He took the lead around the midway point of the race. A couple of times it looked like he was about to be caught, but each time he pulled back ahead.

"When I felt good, I just went," he said. "I didn't really question myself. The only thing I did was to just remember to save a gear because this home stretch is long and you don't want to get passed up with 50 meters to go."

Klecker, a native of Hopkins, Minn., hung on for the victory and finished the 8-kilometer race in 23 minutes, 2.7 seconds, edging out Oregon's Cooper Teare by three seconds (23:05.7).

The Buffaloes won the first six team titles after entering the Pac-12 (2011-16) but lost the last two seasons to Stanford. Recording the lowest possible score would help CU regain the title.

"Unfortunately we've lost it the past two years, so going into my senior year, this was my first goal on my checklist: to win this title," Klecker said. "I tried to do everything I could to beat a good Stanford team and winning the race was probably the best thing I could do for this team."

THE MEN'S RACE: The men's race saw a field full of talent with four teams ranked in the top 10 and another in the top 20. But a solid day for the Buffs gave them the advantage. Colorado recorded 41 points to Oregon's 57, while Stanford, which was tied for third with CU, ended the day with 69 points.

"Stanford is a very good team," Wetmore said. "They were off a little today. Oregon didn't look good in the past couple of races, but had earlier in the season and was very good today. Washington is a very solid team. There are probably four teams in this conference that are top-10 in the country. Our team ran really well today, especially some of the young guys. Of course, we're happy to get the title back."

'The guys who scored for us and accumulated our team points ran wonderfully," Wetmore said. "It's such a good conference and every day is different, every race is different. Gabe had his best race for us so far but there's a much better runner in him and I hope he gets a taste of it and settles down to work."

THE WOMEN'S RACE: The Buffaloes did not have the best day, but on paper, they were projected to finish behind Stanford and Washington. They only trailed third-place Utah by three points, which the Buffs will be looking to make up at the regional meet in two weeks.

"We're disappointed, we didn't run well," Wetmore said. "A couple of people in the middle, Annie (Hill), Holly (Bent) and Rachel (McArthur) had good races. Madie (Boreman) hasn't run a race in a couple of years and she came way up from behind and had a very nice rusty debut. But this is not the best we can run and we need to go back and look over the last three weeks and we need to decide if we did everything we could or if we need to make some changes between now and the next three."

PAC-12 NOTES: Since joining the Pac-12 Conference, CU has won at least one team or one individual title in the last nine years…CU has won 11 of 18 team cross country team championships since joining the Pac-12 in 2011…The Buffs have also won three individual titles, all in the last three years…Dani Jones won back-to-back women's titles (2017-18), while Klecker won the men's title this season.

UP NEXT: The postseason will continue for the Buffs at the NCAA Mountain Region Championships, November 15, in Salt Lake City, Utah. The women will continue to race a 6k, while the men move up to a 10k run.
"
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Full results -
Men's - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/11/1//Men_s_Results.pdf
Women's - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/11/1//Women_s_Results.pdf

Congrats to Buff senior runner Joe Klecker on begin named the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches' Association (USTFCCA) national athlete of the week!

Back