What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

raising 3 million

BinaryBuff

mmmm...beer
Club Member
No, this isn't gonna be a how-to raise $3 million to buyout Hawk..

I was listening to Ringo being interviewed on AM 1510 during lunch today, and he was asked about the $3 million dollar buyout. He said he thought it was funny that there is talk of alumni/fans coming up with an extra $3 mill to buyout a coach, but that the alumni/fans otherwise wouldn't just donate that extra money to CU to build/improve facilities, etc..

All this made me wonder, why do we start to rally around the idea of possibly donating $10/50/100/500 when it comes to buying out the HC, but wouldn't otherwise just donate the cash to the program?

If Bohn called you up personally, and said "we're buying Hawk out, will you donate money for the cause?" would you do it? What if instead he said, "We're [building a real indoor practice facility|improving the weight room|building the basketball practice facility|....] will you donate money for the cause?", would you do that? What if it was just a generic "This is an arms race, we need money to compete, will you help by donating money"?

Is it that there needs to be a concrete action behind the donation? I think that's where I'm at, but I honestly hadn't thought about it until now.

Is it that there needs to be a concrete action behind the donation? I think that's where I'm at, but I honestly hadn't thought about it until now.

I think that's it with me, too. "Give us more money because we want it" is not a good enough reason for me to send more money in. But "If we can raise $X million, we can build a real indoor practice facility" would probably get some cash from me.

2 reasons:

1. A terrible coach can damage a program MUCH faster than not having an expanded weight room and panic can generate donations almost as quickly as hope.

2. Instant gratification. If you donate during good times for facilities, it sits in a fund for years until they actually put a shovel in the ground. A buyout needs to come together quickly.

Ringo also said it is very unfair to compare Hawkins' situation with Mac's. The reason being the academic restriction on getting questionable students into the school on athletic scholarships. Something I've been harping on but no one here seems to get.

Ringo also said it is very unfair to compare Hawkins' situation with Mac's. The reason being the academic restriction on getting questionable students into the school on athletic scholarships. Something I've been harping on but no one here seems to get.

This one to me is a frustrating one. It's something that seems like it should be easy to fix. Create or expand the window for those students that have unique talents that aren't necessarily reflected in hard numbers like GPA and SAT/ACT scores alone. Whether that is being being able to paint, able to sing, or being 250 lbs while running a 4.4/40 and being able to hit like a ton of bricks :thumbsup:

The problem isn't talent. The problem is what we're doing with the talent we have.

The problem isn't talent. The problem is what we're doing with the talent we have.

:yeahthat:

It would also be helpful if the talent we get could be persuaded to stay. Maybe by, I don't know, USING THEM???? :bang::bang::bang::bang:

GB didn't have any problems winning with academic restrictions, his problem was being out of touch or ignoring behavior that would ultimately cost him his job. Off hand, I would guarantee that it's a hell of alot harder to enroll in Northwestern than it is to get into CU.

Last edited:

We get it, but out of a class of 22 kids, how many would come here but we don't get in because of academic restrictions? 1 maybe 2 a year? Do you think having Gates here at RB would solve all our problems.

Take Hawks best recruiting year 2008. Top 25 class. DS never plays, Katoa gone, plus some others injured/left team.

The 2007 class is so full of people that left the team it is depressing to look at.

Out of the guys left, who has he coached up? Polk jumps out, Pericek. Major was a top recruit that does not see much time. Givens was a top recruit, and our O line sucks as bad today as it did in September.

Bottom line is we have had very good talent in classes the last few years, however there is a huge problem with players getting here and not liking something within the program. That something has got to be the coaches. IMO they are being told somthing during recruiting, but when they get to school what they were told does not match what is happening.

I know that some of the people that have left (Katoa) have had "issues" and I don't blame the coaching staff for that. But good lord, some of our best recruits are leaving the team every year for personal reasons.

I am a big Bohn supporter. I think he has done a good job of resurecting a dead athletic department on the whole, a great job.

One suggestion would be the type of targeted fundraising that is mentioned above. If it was for the buyout, or a new bball facility or women's field hockey jersey's..whatever, Call me and tell me what yu are trying to do. The frequent calls simply asking "Can we have some more money" doesn't seem nearly as impactful as "Would you like to help us buy a bubble? or buy a new locker room or whatever. tell me what you want it for.

Back