What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rammies not looking good in scrimmage

Hold on, I was watching the First 48 the other week and they had an episode where they were searching a house for evidence that the person killed the other and they looked in a cereal box and found the clip from the gun that was used in there. Is that not the same example as above? Because that was legal, and so was what the cops did in Fort Collins IMO.

The First 48 is the tits!

The cops weren't going to find any evidence of an assault in a mini-fridge, it was illegal for them to look inside. According to the constitution, a warrant must "particularly describ[e] the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." If the cops are looking for a stolen car, they can't look in your kitchen cupboard.

I admit I don't know the exact text of their search warrant. But you have no clue as to what might be in that fridge and neither did the cops, so they looked. For example, there could be a ring with a victim's skin or blood on it. As it happens, there was possible evidence of another crime, and they got what they deserved.

I admit I don't know the exact text of their search warrant. But you have no clue as to what might be in that fridge and neither did the cops, so they looked. For example, there could be a ring with a victim's skin or blood on it. As it happens, there was possible evidence of another crime, and they got what they deserved.

Yep. At the least, the warrant probably included all their shoes so they could match the print from the kicks to the kid. A shoe's small enough that it pretty much allows the cops to search anywhere.

I don't know what the warrant specified, but the paper says it was for shoes and clothing.

police searched the home of orakpo and capi and paulhus' residence on april 10 after obtaining warrants to search for ''footwear and clothing with evidence of blood on them,'' according to a 90-page police report on the incident that was released thursday.

The detective basically concedes that searching the mini-fridge was beyond the scope of the warrant by including his "reasons" for searching the refrigerator.

fort collins police det. Bryan vogel, who was searching the room, then opened the refrigerator in what his report said was an effort to find prescription medication that might help him determine the person who occupies or controls the area, room or residence.

Look, if the warrant allowed a search for bullets, then the cops could look anywhere, including in cereal boxes. But this warrant surely didn't allow a search for weapons, as none were used in the crime.

To me, a cop saying he was looking for prescription medication to help him determine who occupies the room is bull**** made up to try to kosher what he knows is a bad search.​

Or it could be a legit reason to try and identify all of the occupants of the apartment/house. Are you a lawyer?

I don't know what the warrant specified, but the paper says it was for shoes and clothing.

The detective basically concedes that searching the mini-fridge was beyond the scope of the warrant by including his "reasons" for searching the refrigerator.

Look, if the warrant allowed a search for bullets, then the cops could look anywhere, including in cereal boxes. But this warrant surely didn't allow a search for weapons, as none were used in the crime.

To me, a cop saying he was looking for prescription medication to help him determine who occupies the room is bull**** made up to try to kosher what he knows is a bad search.​

So basically you'e saying that clothing won't fit in the fridge? I'm no attorney but the search sounds justifiable.

Story is escaping Ft. Collins. Getting frequent mention on the Colorado Springs/Pueblo news broadcast and the C.S. newspaper. These aren't known for doing lots of digging for stuff outside the area so the story is pushing out there in newsland.

Snow, what do you think of the attorney publicly calling the victim out, along with his other comments?
:lol: lord help us. Honestly, not my area of practice so im fuzzy on the limitations on public commentary by a non government lawyer in a criminal trial.

However, without review of the ethical rules on this subject, I don't recall any reason why what he's doing as far as publically calling out the foco pd is wrong. It is certainly an aggressive statement. Maybe/probably this defense lawyer has a history with the foco pd.

I think the players who are involved need to get prosecuted to the full extent, especially since apparently for some of them this isn't their first time for being out of line. When you are a scholarship athlete in a revenue sport that makes you to an extent a public figure so the media coverage is appropriate as well

With that said I wonder if the DA and the law enforcement officials don't have another agenda bigger than investigating and prosecuting a crime. We remember that in Boulder Mary Keenan was much more interested in political gain than in justice. I wonder if the officials in Ft. Collins aren't taking advantage of the profile of the players and potentially trying to "put the athletic program in its place."

I don't have any specific evidence but how often have we seen this same thing happen.

I think the players who are involved need to get prosecuted to the full extent, especially since apparently for some of them this isn't their first time for being out of line. When you are a scholarship athlete in a revenue sport that makes you to an extent a public figure so the media coverage is appropriate as well

With that said I wonder if the DA and the law enforcement officials don't have another agenda bigger than investigating and prosecuting a crime. We remember that in Boulder Mary Keenan was much more interested in political gain than in justice. I wonder if the officials in Ft. Collins aren't taking advantage of the profile of the players and potentially trying to "put the athletic program in its place."

I don't have any specific evidence but how often have we seen this same thing happen.

There are warring factions over the on campus stadium plans. This bad news plays poorly for the Be Bold faction and might fit the agenda of the SOSHughes crowd.

There are warring factions over the on campus stadium plans. This bad news plays poorly for the Be Bold faction and might fit the agenda of the SOSHughes crowd.

Kind of what I was thinking. Also with or without the stadium issue, like in Boulder there is a segment of the community that resents the university and there is a segment of the university community that resents the athletic department. Certain politicians may look to take advantage of this sentiment to create a name for themselves and advance their careers or agendas.

Denver post deleted my comment. All i said was, I didn't believe the defense was that good, the offense made them look good.

Is it me or is this attorney speaking out publicly, especially so negatively about Mr. Gocha highly unusual?

The moral of the story is make sure you have money (brother in NFL), so you can hire a lawyer to spout public nonsense even though you are just as guilty as the players that can't afford a lawyer. Orakpo will probably come out of this better off than the student who got his face smashed in, but was also charged with a misdemeanor.

Back