What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rank the Buffs Position Groups

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
From best to worst, including the coaching they receive, how do you think the different position groups rank for the Buffs this season?

Are there any position groups you think are over- or under-rated right now?

Which position coach has the most to prove?

Quarterback
Coach: Eric Kiesau
Players: Tyler Hansen, Cody Hawkins, Nick Hirschman, Justin Gorman

Tailback
Coach: Darian Hagan
Players: Rodney Stewart, Brian Lockridge, Quentin Hildreth, Corey Nabors, Cordary Allen, Tony Jones, Trea Jones, Justin Torres

Wide Receiver
Coach: Robert Prince
Players: Scotty McKnight, Toney Clemons, Travon Patterson, William Jefferson, Paul Richardson, Kyle Cefalo, Jason Espinoza, Andre Simmons, Jarrod Darden, Kendrick Celestine, Keenan Canty, Mario Conte, Dustin Ebner (inj), Alex Turbow

Tight End
Coach: Kent Riddle
Players: Ryan Deehan, Luke Walters, Davaughn Thornton, Henley Griffon, Harold Mobley, Kyle Slavin, Alex Wood, Matt Allen

Offensive Line
Coach: Denver Johnson
Players: Nate Solder, Keenan Stevens, Ryan Miller, Bryce Givens, Ethan Adkins, Mike Iltis, Blake Behrens, Shawn Daniels, Matt Bahr, Ryan Dannewitz, Jack Harris, David Bakhtiari, Max Tuioti-Mariner, Eric Richter, Sione Tau, David Clark, Kaiwi Crabb, Daniel Munyer, Scott Fernandez

Defensive Line
Coach: Romeo Bandison
Players: Marquez Herrod, Curtis Cunningham, Will Pericak, Forrest West, Nick Kasa, Nate Bonsu, Conrad Obi, Eugene Goree, Josh Hartigan, Chidera Uzo-Diribe, Kirk Poston, Dakota Poole, Tony Poremba

Linebacker
Coach: Brian Cabral
Players: Michael Sipili, BJ Beatty, Jon Major, Douglas Rippy, Derrick Webb, Tyler Ahles, Evan Harrington, Patrick Mahnke, Liloa Nobriga, Lowell Williams, David Goldberg, Michael O'Conner, Gage Greer

Defensive Back
Coach: Ashley Ambrose
Players: Jimmy Smith, Jalil Brown, Anthony Perkins, Ray Polk, Parker Orms, Paul Vigo, Deji Olatoye, Jonathan Hawkins, Makiri Pugh (tnfr redshirt), Terrel Smith, Travis Sandersfeld, Vince Ewing (inj), Jered Bell, Josh Moten, Terdema Ussery, Arthur Jaffee, Cameron Ham, Matt Meyer, Jordan Marquez, Javen Correia

I'd go with the following:

1. DB
2. WR
3. OL
4. LB
5. RB
6. DL
7. QB
8. TE

Honestly, I can't say that I'm 100% sold on any of these groups. But on the other hand, I don't see any glaring weaknesses among the position groups. There's talent and experience everywhere.

I also think we have really good position coaching.

My biggest concern is actually the coordination. Kiesau as OC, Collins as DC and Riddle as STC all have a ton to prove. Will the sum be as good as the parts? That's what I think determines whether we break through in 2010.

I think we could be really good this year if it comes together.

Edit: Sorry for the long post. I hope it's not too bad since so much of the text is player lists.

Happy to see WR go from weakness to strenght in a short period of time. Clemons' and Patterson's explosiveness blend well with Scotty's consistent production.

You're all messed up, Nik.

1. Defensive line based on Depth and experience. We've got some raw physical talent in there too, with guys like Kasa. But returning, proven playmakers like the undersized Cunningham, the misplaced (a joke, a joke) Pericak and the due-for-a-breakout season Herrod as well as depth with Bonsu, West, Obi, Goree and Hartigan, make this my "most likely to succeed" unit.

2. Linebacker. Cabral, depth and talent. Major, Sipili, Beatty, Rippy with new talent like Webb? Are you kidding me? This group could be very, very good, I think.

3. Wide Receiver. Great talent and depth, but unproven experience. Place this in the "I'll believe it when I see it category". Also, those guys are as good as their O-line and QB, so I'll need to something from those guys too.

4. DBs. Not enough seasoned depth for me to love this group.

5. O Line. They've broken my heart before. I wanted to place them higher, but I've really, really got to see these guys reach their potential before I believe.

6. Tight End. I've always been a big Deehan fan. He's surrounded by a little experience, but the really exciting talent remains unproven.

7. QB and RB are a tie. We've got great experience at both positions. We've got decent talent. We could do some great things. I'm not unhappy with any of these units as I look at them. What's different from last year? The position gaps are filled with guys with legitimate proven experience. While we might not have any GREAT groups in the mix, the difference between one and seven wasn't huge. It's my guess that we don't have any terrible units either.

Go Buffs!

I would move the DL up also, although they're an enigma to me. Obi and Goree have underperformed IMO, but guys like Pericek and Cunningham have been more than we hoped for. I still can't decide if Bandison is a really good coach, getting the most out of under the radar talent or a bad recruiter. I like him, but I'm not sure why. Special teams was not on the original list, but they'd be dead last on mine. Riddle should be on a short leash, I don't care if he's a good recruiter - ranking in the 100s is totally unacceptable.

Back