What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rank the PAC-12 coaches

Stoops was recruiting at the bottom of the PAC 10 and PAC 12. In his last 5 classes only his 2007 class was in the upper half of the conference. Rich Rod had one scholarship QB when he came on board. He was winning the Big East when Virginia Tech was there - it is still tough to win a conference. Only 3 CU coaches have done it in the last 50 years.

That's a very one sided way to look at the conference titles. Yes it's tough to win your conference but the coaches we went against, namely NU and OU (sans Blake) were better than anything the Big East had, even Beamer which made it much tougher to win a conference. Basically, not a one to one comparison.

And Rich Rod only won one conference title while VT was in the Big East (2003: 8-5 Unranked).

Last edited:
That's a very one sided way to look at the conference titles. Yes it's tough to win your conference but the coaches we went against, namely NU and OU (sans Blake) were better than anything the Big East had, even Beamer which made it much tougher to win a conference. Basically, not a one to one comparison.

And Rich Rod only won one conference title while VT was in the Big East (2003: 8-5 Unranked).

I agree that the Big East was not exactly a murderer's row, but Bobby Petrino was at Louisville for a couple seasons, at the same time WVU was peaking no less. Also hard to ignore that the two BCS bowls that WVU won under Rodriguez (realize he did not coach in that second game) were probably the two biggest wins for the Big East in the last decade.

I agree that the Big East was not exactly a murderer's row, but Bobby Petrino was at Louisville for a couple seasons, at the same time WVU was peaking no less. Also hard to ignore that the two BCS bowls that WVU won under Rodriguez (realize he did not coach in that second game) were probably the two biggest wins for the Big East in the last decade.

That was with some pretty barren recruiting grounds too.

Ah forgot about Petrino. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I'd be thrilled if he was in Boulder but my point was that BnG was overvaluing what he did at WVU and completely ignoring the disaster at Michigan. I just think he's a bit overrated and BnG's comparison was not a good one.

Ah forgot about Petrino. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I'd be thrilled if he was in Boulder but my point was that BnG was overvaluing what he did at WVU and completely ignoring the disaster at Michigan. I just think he's a bit overrated and BnG's comparison was not a good one.

Yeah, I think it is fair to say Rich Rod has an uneven career. I personally think he is a really good coach, but it might say something that he jumped on the Arizona job so quickly. Not exactly a destination job for a football coach.

I think he has character issues. He just isn't believable. He had a system early. He had an incredible QB and RB and some other nice athletes around him at WVU when nobody really knew how to defend that stuff.

By the time he got to Michigan, it wasn't working as easily as it had, despite having some dudes.

At Arizona he fell into an unbelievable unknown Senior QB last year. Give it a few years. I'm not positive he sucks, but I am not ready to put him near the top of the class. Same is true for pretty much everyone below Riley and Shaw who I think are very good.

Everyone else has something to prove except the bottom two. Kiffen flat out stinks. Whittingham is really struggling and his teams' offense has been disastrous since he got rid of the spread and hired Norm Chow. Now he has brought in Dennis Erickson, who used to be an offensive genius, but I am skeptical in 2013.

Sarkisian appears not to have what it takes either. 2013 is the year he needs to prove it as they've been mediocre despite great recruiting. He does get an attaboy for firing his DC last year. That needed to be done, and they were close.

This is definitely a make or break year for Sarkisian. If he cannot be in contention for the North and get 9-10 wins this coming season, you have to wonder if it will ever happen. He definitely walked into a disaster and has clearly upgraded the talent, but now is the time for the next step. With Husky Stadium re-opening, you know the fans up there will be a bit restless with another average season.

I have to say you continue to astound me with you lack of any real comprehension. What comparison? I did not compare him to anyone. I pointed out winning conference championships is difficult case in point is how few CU coaches had won. You are are one who is trying to say it makes no difference because the Big 8/ Big 12 was a tougher conference - something I was not discussing. On one hand you are all excited about MM because he won 11 games in the WAC which is a lot weaker than the Big East - where RRod won 10 games multiple times.

I believe you are WAY undervaluing RRODs coaching record.

I have to say you continue to astound me with you lack of any real comprehension. What comparison? I did not compare him to anyone. I pointed out winning conference championships is difficult case in point is how few CU coaches had won. You are are one who is trying to say it makes no difference because the Big 8/ Big 12 was a tougher conference - something I was not discussing. On one hand you are all excited about MM because he won 11 games in the WAC which is a lot weaker than the Big East - where RRod won 10 games multiple times.

I believe you are WAY undervaluing RRODs coaching record.
RR winning conference titles in the Big East then comparing it to CU winning three in 50 years without taking into consideration about coaches and strength of the conference as a whole where the Big 8/12>>>>Big East is why it was a bad comparison. You can't just make that comparison without taking any other factors into account. I did not say it did not make a difference, but that winning Big East conference titles is much easier than winning conference titles in a conference with three blueblood programs.

And if you will read my post, I said RR is a good coach, but I do believe he is overrated and that you should stop ignoring what he did, or didn't do, at Michigan which was a total disaster.

Last edited:
Sporting News:

Shaw (#7 overall)
Riley (14)
Mora (28)
Rodriguez (29)
Leach (33)
Whittingham (36)
Kiffin (43)
Sarkisian (51)
MacIntyre (59)
Helfrich (62)
Dykes (71)
Graham (74)

Sporting News:

Shaw (#7 overall)
Riley (14)
Mora (28)
Rodriguez (29)
Leach (33)
Whittingham (36)
Kiffin (43)
Sarkisian (51)
MacIntyre (59)
Helfrich (62)
Dykes (71)
Graham (74)

Kiffin and Helfrich way too high. Graham way to low.

Back