What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ranking to Heisman Seasons in Past 25 Years - SI

Wow... I had no idea Crouch's stats were that terrible (at least for a heisman winner...)

His competition:

Other finalists: Rex Grossman, QB, Florida; Ken Dorsey, QB, Miami; Joey Harrington, QB, Oregon.

That was a pretty weak group.

When I read the OP, I thought, 'how could someone have been ranked below Gino Torretta??" I'm glad to see Gino down near the bottom. I used to do a Gino Torretta impersonation in college when I was drinking (usually). I won't go into too many details but it involved rolling up my shirt, pushing my gut out and saying "Hey, catch that, I'm Gino ****ing Torretta. There you go...catch that...you know who I am? That's right, Gino ****ing Torretta". Actually, come to think about it, that's pretty much all the details after all.

Oh, and then I read the article. The two things that jumped out at me:

1. I remember that article on the Plymouth Running Back, and I still think about it every single Heisman weekend.

2. Ron Dayne...1999!!!!???? Are you ****ing kidding me? That was 1999??!!! I thought it was, like, two years ago. Christ I'm old.

I think Mandel's list is pretty good. There were a few that I disagreed with (like Troy Smith being so high). In general, it is easy to step back and just look at stats. That is the baseball fans in us. But football is a different animal. Guys like Crouch/Brown/Woodson might not have logged eye-popping numbers, but they didn't exactly play stat-friendly positions. Instead, you need to look at their impact on the game and for their teams... and then who their Heisman competition was that year.

There are many runners-up in one year that were hands-down better than winners in another year. That's the way it goes. Newton is pretty good, though I wouldn't put him at #2. But what will build his legend is the fact that his competition is weak (Kellen Moore, I mean, seriously??)

When I read the OP, I thought, 'how could someone have been ranked below Gino Torretta??" I'm glad to see Gino down near the bottom. I used to do a Gino Torretta impersonation in college when I was drinking (usually). I won't go into too many details but it involved rolling up my shirt, pushing my gut out and saying "Hey, catch that, I'm Gino ****ing Torretta. There you go...catch that...you know who I am? That's right, Gino ****ing Torretta". Actually, come to think about it, that's pretty much all the details after all.

Oh, and then I read the article. The two things that jumped out at me:

1. I remember that article on the Plymouth Running Back, and I still think about it every single Heisman weekend.

2. Ron Dayne...1999!!!!???? Are you ****ing kidding me? That was 1999??!!! I thought it was, like, two years ago. Christ I'm old.

Didn't he (Joe Dudek) play for the Broncos during the strike year of 87?

My first Bronco game was that year. Against the Raiders. And Steve Watson broke his leg. I was crushed.

My first Bronco game was that year. Against the Raiders. And Steve Watson broke his leg. I was crushed.

Don't know Scotty. I watch exactly zero NFL games each year of my life. When they leave college, I don't know what happens to them.

Yes he played in 2 games for them that year. I can't remember if they were replacement player games or not but I think they were.

Back