What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ray Polk is a Safety (Polk asked to be moved)

Re: Ray Polk is a Safety

This seems bizarre to me. I've never seen the kid play, but he sounds like one heck of an athlete and I was looking forward to seeing him with the rock in his hands...

that is an intriguing thought. On the one hand, cubuffs.com has been know to have mistakes. and I know Ray Ray wanted to play rb, but look at the depth we have now:

D.Scott (Soph)- speed-power back: get the guy healthy and the sky's the limit
Speedy (Soph)- shifty scat back: could actually outshine D.Scott after 4 years
Lockridge (Soph) - shifty scat back: returns from injury, one of the strongest RBs, showed flashes of promise as a freshman, and Hawk says the kid is ready to blow up.
Sumler (Jr.) - bruiser power back: reliable, smart, top blocker, good receiving out the backfield.

Ray Ray is kind of lost in the shuffle. Safety might be his best chance to see the field, and his with speed and size, he could be a Michael Lewis type saftey.

If he is happy with the move, I am happy with the move.

no RB's in the class this year and he RSs...

I don't like this move, (well unless he turns into an all big 12 safety)...

I thought I read somewhere that his high school coach said he thought his playing days would be on defense. Either way we now have a huge gap at RB that Hawk claims to hate. Our youngest RB's will be true juniors in 10' and then we'll have true freshmen I'm assuming

This had better be yet another mistake by cubuffs.com. We need all of those RBs, including Polk. I'm going to try to confirm this.

When we had Cortlen Johnson, Marcus Houston, Chris Brown and Booby Purify, we didn't scratch our heads and say "let's move one of 'em to safety." Instead we had a HERD.

This had better be yet another mistake by cubuffs.com. We need all of those RBs, including Polk. I'm going to try to confirm this.

When we had Cortlen Johnson, Marcus Houston, Chris Brown and Booby Purify, we didn't scratch our heads and say "let's move one of 'em to safety." Instead we had a HERD.
So, you don't trust the staff on this if, indeed, this is true?

If Ray is okay with it, then I'm okay with it

Hmmm, I'm not too sure about this. They moved Freshman All-American Kai Maiava to fullback and left the program pretty quick right after that.

I usually do, but not in this case - Polk, in addition to being a physical specimen, has some very special running back instincts (as opposed to Dizon, who was switched from RB to LB) that foreshadow a Bobby Purify/Chris Brown/Lendon Henry/Lamont Warren type potential.

I just think that after last year, the RB job is wide open (between Scott, Stewart, Sumler and Polk), and if we think that we have too many, we should convert someone else (Jaffee, Lockridge, Moyd, Nabors -- none of whom are going to see any significant playing time) to defense.

Last edited:

We're awfully thin at Safety, right? I'm for whatever gets our best talent on the field.

I usually do, but not in this case - Polk, in addition to being a physical specimen, has some very special running back instincts (as opposed to Dizon, who was switched from RB to LB) that foreshadow a Bobby Purify/Chris Brown/Lendon Henry/Lamont Warren type potential.

I just think that after last year, the RB job is wide open (between Scott, Stewart, Sumler and Polk), and if we think that we have too many, we should convert someone else (Jaffee, Lockridge, Moyd, Nabors -- none of whom are going to see any significant playing time) to defense.

I agree. This is a stupid move if it is accurate. Move some other guy, Ray Polk needs to stay a RB. What Idot came up with that? :confused:

Hmmm, I'm not too sure about this. They moved Freshman All-American Kai Maiava to fullback and left the program pretty quick right after that.

The move to FB was no where close to being the only reason, or even the main reason Kai left, yet some people will continue to cling to that notion.

Not liking this....

If Polk transfers there is going to be hell. The guy was the #13 RB last year. If he is fine with the move, then all is well. I guess....

We're awfully thin at Safety, right? I'm for whatever gets our best talent on the field.

Exactly. We are painfully thin at safety and Polk is one of the most athletic guys on the team (elite high school hurdler). Good size and speed for the position. This is a very good fit IMO.

I'm skeptical of whether or not this is true until I see a statement in the press from Hawk or someone on the staff. :huh:

The only thing I can think of that might make it true is if DH talked to him and asked him that what he wants out of CFB. If he wants to play for he NFL, then perhaps getting instant playing time for 3-4 yrs as a safety on TV will certianly help as opposed to some PT as running back behind or even with the other guys. DH likes to steer guys in what he thinks gives them the best shot at playing at the next level. Ultimately it should be Ray's choice, though. He could be the next Heisman RB or he could get hurt, you never know. He hasnt played a down in CFB yet, except scout team.

Last edited:

I also really like this move the more I think about it and here's why:

1. We have 4 RBs that all have playing experience:

Demetrius Sumler
Brian Lockrdige
Rodney Stewart
Darrell Scott

...and many Buff fans have complained about this staff's inability to get our best players on the field. What would you rather see? Polk/Lockridge/Scott all on the bench? Or all of these guys contributing at positions of need.

2. We must get our best athletes on the field (4 stars and 5 stars included) if we are going to have a break out season.

3. We need competition at Safety. In my opinion, Perkins and Mahnke are upgrades over Walters and Dykes, but no competition at safety is a recipe for disaster.

4. We all figured someone would make the move to safety. I would rather have Polk at safety then Jalil, Burney or Wright.

5. Polk is one of the fastest players on the team. Finally we will have elite speed at safety.

6. Brown is one of our best coaches and has the potential to really develop Polk into a great player.

7. Polk played corner in high school in his team's state playoffs (cant remember if he played the entire season there).

Of course, there is a chance this was either a mistake on cubuffs.com or that this is only a temporary experiment. I do hope it is true though. And I do hope that Polk is 100% behind the decision.

:yeahthat:

It seems obvious to me that you want the best players on the field, not rotating in off the bench every fourth series. If he can start at safety, and is the no better than the #3 back (if that), it is crazy to have him ride the pine.

It will be easy to recruit future RB talent if the current crew (and O-line) can meet expectations. If they can't, then our staff doesn't know how to put together a running game anyway.

Demetrius Sumler
Brian Lockrdige
Rodney Stewart
Darrell Scott

...and many Buff fans have complained about this staff's inability to get our best players on the field. What would you rather see? Polk/Lockridge/Scott all on the bench? Or all of these guys contributing at positions of need.

2. We must get our best athletes on the field (4 stars and 5 stars included) if we are going to have a break out season.

3. We need competition at Safety. In my opinion, Perkins and Mahnke are upgrades over Walters and Dykes, but no competition at safety is a recipe for disaster.

4. We all figured someone would make the move to safety. I would rather have Polk at safety then Jalil, Burney or Wright.

5. Polk is one of the fastest players on the team. Finally we will have elite speed at safety.

6. Brown is one of our best coaches and has the potential to really develop Polk into a great player.

7. Polk played corner in high school in his team's state playoffs (cant remember if he played the entire season there).

Of course, there is a chance this was either a mistake on cubuffs.com or that this is only a temporary experiment. I do hope it is true though. And I do hope that Polk is 100% behind the decision.

Wow, a well thought out, reasonable post backed with good ideas. I like it:thumbsup:

Demetrius Sumler
Brian Lockrdige
Rodney Stewart
Darrell Scott

Well said. We need some competition at safety, and Polk's athleticism is really needed there IMO. I hope it turns out to be true.

I saw this move comming for quite awhile (especially with Speedy's performance) I just thought it was going to be to Cornerback. I posted this on another board, but Polk has proven to be the consumate team player. He gave up the opportunity to win back to back state track championships (possibly national recognition) because the CU staff asked him to focus on football. He played CB during Brophy's playoff run his senior year, and shut down a WR who is playing at Oregon now, even though he never played the position before.

I would hope that the staff is still open to giving him a look on offense, but the kid a great athlete and can contribute in a number of different ways.....The kid is selfless and so far as proven to be a great team player.

... we should convert someone else (Jaffee, Lockridge, Moyd, Nabors -- none of whom are going to see any significant playing time) to defense.

totally disagree on the Energizer Bunny not seeing significant PT. I can't remember if it was this board, or maybe the Rival board, but someone posted a recap of a conversation he had with Hawk at a fundraiser. Hawk said Lockridge was tearing it up at the end of the year when he returned from his hernia surgery.

The only reason I question the move is the potential class gap. Otherwise, we have plenty of very good running back for 2009, 2010, and no one decides to leave early 2011. That's 2 years to fill that gap with another blue chipper.

I say get your best athletes on the field. We have 5 of our best guys at one position. It only makes sense to move Ray Ray to a position where he can help the team.

I love the move if Ray likes it. I have to imagine it is definitely his best shot at immediate PT, though, which makes me believe he is probably for it.

I love the thought of someone the size of Ryan Walters who also runs a 4.4-4.5 back there, though.

totally disagree on the Energizer Bunny not seeing significant PT. I can't remember if it was this board, or maybe the Rival board, but someone posted a recap of a conversation he had with Hawk at a fundraiser. Hawk said Lockridge was tearing it up at the end of the year when he returned from his hernia surgery.

I agree that Lockridge will see plenty of playing time (and he will see it regardless of whether Polk actually switches positions).

Also, moving guys like Lockridge, Nabors, and Moyd does little because they are all undersized. They might work at corner, but that is one position where we actually have some depth right now. We need some competition at safety, and a bunch of undersized guys don't really help.

Actually some pretty intelligent discourse on this issue.

If the move is true, it could definietly turn out great. Polk, more than any of the other RBs, has the strength, versatility and athleticism to make such a switch successful.

My main beef is that I happen to think that Polk, if he were given the bulk of the carries, would be the best RB on the team. I love Speedy, but he needs a thunder to his lightening. And let's face it, Scott is still a question mark as to whether he's a #1, 20-25 carry a game guy (can he even stay healthy). Sumler is decent as a receiver and pass blocker, but is nowhere near the best RB option on the team. Lockridge is an unknown - he hasn't shown anything on the field beyond a couple of long runs.

And my main concern is that Polk regrets the decision (in other words he said "Yes" to Hawk because he's the consummate team player, but wants to play in the NFL and believes that RB is his best ticket) and transfers - which would be bad.

Initial reaction was quite shocking and I was a little upset....but you guys sure convinced me that this could be a GREAT move...I'm definately on board with getting our talent on the field rather than riding the pine....BUT, if he's riding the pine as a backup Safety I'll be a little irritated as I'd rather have the depth & spacing at RB

Guy does have the size though...6'1 is a nice DB frame....coupled with athleticism?? who knows?

My main beef is that I happen to think that Polk, if he were given the bulk of the carries, would be the best RB on the team.

What are you basing this on? His own HS coach and most scouts said that they thought his position in college would be on the defensive side of the ball. A lot of people thought he was a little too raw at RB.

But I am like most of you... love the idea, if and only if Ray Polk loves the idea.

(Seriously, are people going to bring up Kai Miava every time someone moves positions, cause it happens a lot).

Back